Almost perfect macbook replacement!

10 posts in this topic

Check it out here.

darter_u1_open_med.jpg

Display: 13.3” Widescreen WXGA (1280X800)

Graphics: Intel GMA 950 224 MB Integrated Graphics

Sound: Intel High Definition Audio

Networking: 10/100(LAN)

Wireless: Intel 802.11 abg & Bluetooth

Card Reader: 4 in 1 Card Reader

Expansion: PCI Express Card Slot (34/54)

Ports: VGA, 3x USB 2.0, Mic In, Headphone Out, FireWire 1394B, S-Video

Battery: 6 Cell Lithium Ion

Battery Life: 4.5 Hours

Dimensions: 12.4" x 8.9" x 1.24" (W x D x H)

Weight: 4.3 lbs

Problem? It costs way too much. I say we email them and demand that they lower the price. Otherwise, it looks really compatible with OS X 86, and it looks pretty snazzy, too.

You're right, that is very expensive but it probably would be good to OSX86 it up. :huh: Nice find. If only they lowered the price, these would be selling like hot cakes (or whatever the saying is).

Way too expensive. Looks like a rebranded ACER whitebook to me or perhaps the model Gigabyte was making a while back. You would have compat problems with the wireless cards and for about $200 could upgrade to a 15'' with twice the hdd space and a way better integrated graphics card. At that price it would be better to just get a mac.

Way too expensive. Looks like a rebranded ACER whitebook to me or perhaps the model Gigabyte was making a while back. You would have compat problems with the wireless cards and for about $200 could upgrade to a 15'' with twice the hdd space and a way better integrated graphics card. At that price it would be better to just get a mac.

Yeah, I completely agree. But if they sold it for what its worth ($650 in the default config) then they would pretty sweet OSX86 deals. And honestly, most companies find the need to make 15.4in laptops chunky and fat for some reason :huh: If I could find an inexpensive 15.4in laptop thats thin and compatable, man I would buy it in a heartbeat. Luckily, I think apple (minus the inexpenisve...) sells one, so I'm saving my pennies. ;)

did you just actually _try_ it? Saying it might work doesn't worth a topic :/

How is it not worth a topic?. Out of the thousands of notebooks out there, I found one that not only looks similar to a macbook, but has compatible parts, similar (screen) size and form factor, and you think thats not worth a topic? And what have you contributed to OS X 86 that gives you the right to determine what is worth a topic and what isn't? As far as I can tell, your only topics are topics asking for help.

Wireless: Intel 802.11 abg & Bluetooth <- more likelly ipw3945, not yet compatible.

Sorry if saying that I don't consider your information as valuable, I just don't see the point in saying "wow this laptop is cool, it's _not_ compatible but nice replacement anyway". This forum is messy enough, it's a pain to find most interesting topics, and you're just popping one with... well... nothing.

About contributions, well, I'm not as involved as I'd like to be, lacking time like most of us. But isn't testing and (properly) reporting issues as important as actually solving them ? Are you hanging around open source bugtrackers and used to QA contributions? Those are more user oriented and not seen like productive at first by most developpers, but Quality Assurance is what makes the difference between, let's say, Microsoft (not enough QA work, bugged softwares) and... Apple.

So, what about working on a topic or wiki page trying to efficiently merge valuable informations rather than adding non valuable informations in a messy forum ?

you seem to be the only one with a problem with it...

i thought it was good info if someone was looking for a small OSX compatible laptop, which i am. people said it was overpriced, and someone replied that it might be a rebranded model, so now i can find the same thing for a more reasonable price. how is that worthless?

if this topic is, indeed, a waste, then the percentage of that waste caused by you, i.e., the time spent reading posts written by, quoted by and in response to you, is much greater then the original post, certainly, and probably the remainder of the thread, including any ads i might have adblocked. so for the sake of this increasingly tangential and verbose forum's members, please be more concise in any reply you may make.

thank you

p.s. your forum signature currently occupies one half of my browser's effective area. please consider the number and size of droppings you leave behind the next time you log in to this progressively more laden minefield of a forum.

Wireless: Intel 802.11 abg & Bluetooth <- more likelly ipw3945, not yet compatible.

Sorry if saying that I don't consider your information as valuable, I just don't see the point in saying "wow this laptop is cool, it's _not_ compatible but nice replacement anyway". This forum is messy enough, it's a pain to find most interesting topics, and you're just popping one with... well... nothing.

About contributions, well, I'm not as involved as I'd like to be, lacking time like most of us. But isn't testing and (properly) reporting issues as important as actually solving them ? Are you hanging around open source bugtrackers and used to QA contributions? Those are more user oriented and not seen like productive at first by most developpers, but Quality Assurance is what makes the difference between, let's say, Microsoft (not enough QA work, bugged softwares) and... Apple.

So, what about working on a topic or wiki page trying to efficiently merge valuable informations rather than adding non valuable informations in a messy forum ?

I would pay 300 bucks more and get the real thing.

The real thing actually costs $315 LESS (try configuring it like the low-end MacBook - it's $1414 vs $1099), and comes with a $130 OS, $70 iLife, etc. The $995 config is way less than a MacBook (half the CPU, half the RAM, half the HD, etc). For $1099 from Apple, you get a 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, wireless that will work in OS X, OS X itself, iLife, a built-in camera, not to mention having a supported product.

Edit: More things: gigabit ethernet vs 10/100, DVI vs VGA. The Darter does have the PCI express card slot expansion though, and weighs a bit less, but I think the MacBook has way more advantages, and honestly don't think they would be willing to lower the price on the Darter enough to make it competitive.