Question of OsX86 Stability etc.

branman900

6 posts in this topic

Let's say I goto the Wiki, look up and purchase compatible hardware and build a hackintosh. Now, realizing that there will be little bugs here and there, does the system basically run like a true mac? For instance, running iWeb and Keynote all work just as they would on the real thing?

I've installed Osx86 before on my laptop and have had success with it, I just wanted to gauge the overall stability and compatibility of osx86 before building a pure hackintosh.

I realize that for true compatibility I should get a real mac, and I do have an iBook - I was just looking to build a desktop and get a little more speed, etc.

Thank you!

Hi Branman900:

I was thinking about doing the same thing (getting cheaper but compatible OSx86 laptop). From my experience, it was easier to build my OSx86 mini Desktop because you have more control over what hardware to get. So far, I've been very happy with my OSx86 desktop (and I built for less than $400).

Let's say I goto the Wiki, look up and purchase compatible hardware and build a hackintosh. Now, realizing that there will be little bugs here and there, does the system basically run like a true mac? For instance, running iWeb and Keynote all work just as they would on the real thing?

I've installed Osx86 before on my laptop and have had success with it, I just wanted to gauge the overall stability and compatibility of osx86 before building a pure hackintosh.

I realize that for true compatibility I should get a real mac, and I do have an iBook - I was just looking to build a desktop and get a little more speed, etc.

Thank you!

I have it installed on 2 machines and its rock solid.

I have only one 1 app that's a problem. It that works but won't accept my valid serial number as it has a CPU check. (I'm on AMD)

I've not run into any stability problems yet. The only noticeable problems with mine are mouse tearing (because of my X800), and that my onboard sound doesn't work (but my Xmod does). I just installed it on what I already had, but when my boyfriend wanted to upgrade his computer and get OS X on it, I recommended some more compatible components, and his runs absolutely perfectly (and it boots so fast it doesn't even show the boot screen with the progress bar! It goes straight from the grey apple to the desktop).

I have had my main box running OS X natively since the day it arrived from NewEgg, and as long as you do your homework while parting it out you'll be fine. The HCL on Wiki is such a valuable resource. I have had more crashes and problems with Vista Ultimate on my backup HDD than with my main OS X install. In fact I can't think of one time I've had a problem with OS X. I do everything from design in Photoshop, to importing and editing videos in Premiere. And yes iWork '06 works perfectly. The only thing you'll never really have is anything that uses the EFI, although I think theres an app called BackRow out there.