How does iTunes work?

10 posts in this topic

Okay, my friend and i were having a debate today during our math class cause we have nothing better to do. But anyway, does anyone know for sure whether or not the music from the music store on iTunes is stored on Apple servers? or does iTunes link to like a server the record company has with their own content on it...kinda like podcasts are downloaded threw iTunes from other servers hosting them.

Please answer if you know for sure, or if you think you do.

I'm going to take an educated guess of saying that the file is hosted on a server owned by Apple. I think that's easier for them to keep track of what they have and havent got, etc...

I only think the "store" hosted on Apple's server, the files are distributed to servers around the world through places like Akamai to give the best download time.

That was my thought. I mean if you think about it...there is a ass load of content on iTunes. I cant believe it is all stored on a bunch of xserves in an apple data center. But then again, im probably wrong.

That was my thought. I mean if you think about it...there is a ass load of content on iTunes. I cant believe it is all stored on a bunch of xserves in an apple data center. But then again, im probably wrong.

Nahh, you're right (I think). All the servers hosting the files are owned and (most probably) ran by Apple. :)

I only think the "store" hosted on Apple's server, the files are distributed to servers around the world through places like Akamai to give the best download time.

I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Having worked in New Media for a large independent label, I can say that content is provided by the labels directly to Apple. However, it is my understanding that Apple contracts the actual hosting of the music (e.g., the servers from which you are actually downloading when purchasing a song).

• 2 weeks later...