A descent Media Player for OS X?

SDRacer48

9 posts in this topic

I think many others may be having this same problem or may eventually run into it.

I am a music junkie. I like listening to music when my PC is on and I am working on it. I have a decent sized library with the majority of that library in .wma format on my Windows partition.

I can of course play all of these files in windows via Windows Media Player 11 (second best ever media player in my opinion). I can also play all of these files in Ubuntu via Banshee Media Player (first best ever media player in my opinion). But in OS X, I cannot play all of these files in iTunes, it will not play the .wma format (atleast it won't recognize it and put it in the library).

In addition, Banshee in Ubuntu reads and plays the music files straight from the NTFS Windows partition instead of copying to my Ubuntu ext3 partition. iTunes copies all of my files (the ones in .mp3 format atleast) to my HFS+ OS X partition. I do not want this to happen because I installed OS X on a 20 GB HDD and I don't want to waste the space. I am pretty sure you all realize how bloated OS X programs are by now (ex. Final Cut Studio, and iLife apps).

I guess I would be content with wasting the space on my HFS+ OS X HDD and converting all of my files to .mp3, but if there is an alternative, I would like it better.

MY MAIN QUESTION BASICALLY IS:

Does anyone know of a fully fledged Media Player that runs on OS X, features a library that does not copy files to the HFS+ HDD (active), and can play .wmv files.

If there is no solution. I say the makers of the Banshee Media Player should step up and create a version for OS X. That is the best Media Player ever.

Thanks,

Cody

Keep on macKIN'

Are you sure mp3s are copied? You know you can decide yourself if you want itunes to arrange your files or not?

Regarding WMA it's Microsoft closed format, what do you expect? Just don't buy wma files...

Also I thought Amarok was the best music player there was =P

For video playing I use VLC or Quicktime but they are both very slow when you change place in the file.

wmv isn't a format, its just a container for various formats.

Having said that there are several options for playing these closed formats in wmv: MPlayerOSX, VLC, and Flip Media. ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...components.mspx )

If you can find out the exact format of the videos, Perian plays several common formats also. ( http://perian.org/ )

The copying of mp3 to your HD is a preference in itunes, just turn it off.

I did not know I could turn off the file coping via iTunes prefrences, I will have to check that out.

On a side note... I can play windows media files in os x... i have downloaded and installed the flip4mac thing and windows media player 9.

I just wanted a decent media player that could organize and play my music files (.mp3 and .wma).

As much as I hate the interface and the way it operates, I am using VLC.

I set up a playlist that is reading from my windows drive and it loads everytime I start it up... so that is good enough for now.

Thanks for the Suggestions

I did not know I could turn off the file coping via iTunes prefrences, I will have to check that out.
It's in the advanced options somewhere. One check box you have to un check. I'm at work and not on my Hack right now. Can't remember the place exactly. :)

Thanks Guys and Gals,

I have converted all of my music files to .mp3 via Windows Audio Converter (works great by the way, very fast).

I unchecked the box and it is reading and playing the files straight from my NTFS windows partition without copying it over.

After a few days of using it. I still prefer Banshee Media Player and then Windows Media Player 11 over iTunes.