How to image Mac HD? - SOLUTION

sebus

38 posts in this topic

With Windoze it is easy, Ghost32 in VistaPE & we have a working image of the HD

Then we can "destroy" the OS on it (by doing ie update) and quickly restore the image back in minutes

Same combination applies to Mac OS X (VistaPE & Ghost32)

But if you want Mac ONLY solution then read my method:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=364500

Thanks

sebus

I also want to know that how to backup the image

I know that the common method is make a dmg file from system and restore to the system boot camp.

But I try to make dmg file but fail to do this. ;)

From what I could find, Carbon Copy Cloner does NOT make an image, but only clones the HD to another HD

Somehow this migh be useful:

h**p://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

It is clone HDD to HDD.

The version that fits on your system and your expectations is the beta one.

I fou want to choce system to boot:

Go System Preferences> Startup Disc.

post-100410-1178610074_thumb.png

Try downloading a copy of Hiren's Boot Disk v8.9. It has Ghost 11 on it and it will read and copy an image (can be compressed) of your hfs+ OSX86 partition. I've used it for this dozens of times while I was experimenting on getting my system up and running. It does require you to have some extra disk space as it makes a copy of the entire partition, not just the used part of the partition. Hope this helps someone.

Try downloading a copy of Hiren's Boot Disk v8.9. It has Ghost 11 on it and it will read and copy an image (can be compressed) of your hfs+ OSX86 partition. I've used it for this dozens of times while I was experimenting on getting my system up and running. It does require you to have some extra disk space as it makes a copy of the entire partition, not just the used part of the partition. Hope this helps someone.

Where to get this famous Boot disk, Green Demonoid? :P

It’s relevant to the thread because it concerns whether or not the method of cloning I am using (CCC) is causing a system to be unbootable or not.

By the way, I think it’s the first letter of a sentence that is supposed to be capitalized, not every other letter.

I used Ghost in the end & it was (sadly) the easiest way to do

One can of course create image to a network share from any - Hatchery, SuperDuper, Disk Util, but it is not possible to restore from this location to a new empty HD in a laptop

Why not?

If you have empty HD then no OS on it, so no boot

Only way is Jas DVD 10.4.8 boot, which by default does not have correct drivers for my network card, hence no access to this network share

It is sure possible to get an external USB FAT32 drive, copy this image & restore from there, but is it a really long process for no reason at all

I have an OSX Partition with 45GB, when I tried to use Ghost 8.3 to dump partition to an image, it will take me like an hour to do so, and it also showed 45GB all used... Quite annoying, I just cancelled it... :)-_-

As Ghost does not understands the actual data on Apple partition it copies the whole disk/partition

The initial time is wrong, as ie. 45Gb partition with actual 4.5 Gb of data

So it only copies 4.5 of data, then empty space, which runs much quicker

Also the image becomes quite compressed (I got 3.2 Gb from 4.7Gb data on 20 Gb partition in 36 min)

sebus

As Ghost does not understands the actual data on Apple partition it copies the whole disk/partition

The initial time is wrong, as ie. 45Gb partition with actual 4.5 Gb of data

So it only copies 4.5 of data, then empty space, which runs much quicker

Also the image becomes quite compressed (I got 3.2 Gb from 4.7Gb data on 20 Gb partition in 36 min)

sebus

tHANKS FOR THE INPUT, i WILL DO IT AGAIN! cHEERS! :lol::thumbsup_anim: