How to image Mac HD? - SOLUTION

sebus

38 posts in this topic

What kind of file system are you guys using? FAT32?

I tried with Ghost 8.3 to create an image on my HFS+ 45GB Partition, and saved it on my SATA drive, it was a monster of 36GB finally through 1hour and 10 mins waiting...

Damn!!!! :angry::angry::angry::dev::dev::dev::|:thumbsdown_anim::thumbsdown_anim:

I just used the utility.

This utility it can be used from a single floppy or it can be part of a Restore DVD.

In our case is diferent if we had a basic installation a DVD is enough, but we have HUDGE installations.

Ghost does not understands the data on Apple partition it copies the whole HDD.

The time is wrong for the entire prosses after copying data goes faster.

My basic installation is 25 Gig, and i think you also have similar size installed.

It takes more than 1,5 hour to do that.

(i like your avatar...pass it over me)

I just used the utility.

This utility it can be used from a single floppy or it can be part of a Restore DVD.

In our case is diferent if we had a basic installation a DVD is enough, but we have HUDGE installations.

Ghost does not understands the data on Apple partition it copies the whole HDD.

The time is wrong for the entire prosses after copying data goes faster.

My basic installation is 25 Gig, and i think you also have similar size installed.

It takes more than 1,5 hour to do that.

(i like your avatar...pass it over me)

But the bad thing is I only have a installation of 5GB on 45GB partition, it still came out with 36GB ghost image. I really don't know WTF was Ghost doing on that. :thumbsdown_anim::angry::angry:

For my avatar, I just got it somewhere else, I don't have a bigger size copy, if you like, you can just save it from the forum. :|:thumbsdown_anim:

As Oracle67 said, Disc to Image High compression

Forget the Fast, as it does nothing good

Also the Disk Utility from JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2 does NOT work

It is NOT possible to restore the image from enternal USB drive (drive is seen, image can be selecetd) to an internal drive

Destination can never be selected (as it is greyed out)

Anybody else noticed this?

sebus

• 4 weeks later...

What is the best way to make an image of my MBP HDD? I don't have Windows installed via BootCamp and want to make an image of my Macintosh HD which shall be copied to an external (eSATA/USB) hard drive.

In addition to this I have another question which is not directly related to this topic, but can I install Vista on the mentioned external SATA HDD? If so, how can this be done? I think I could install it on the MBP via BootCamp and then clone it to another HDD, but then I guess it won't work, because of BootCamp.