Microsoft thinking of merging with Yahoo

8 posts in this topic

The only reason why I have to care about this merger (If it does indeed happen), is the email service for the iPhone. My worst nightmare would be seeing something like a windows mail service in the iPhone. Its amusing to see (as a Mac user) how much of a threat Google has become to Microsoft, and I personally think this is just (again if it happens) a move out of desperation. The only other major search engine below google is Yahoo, so this would make sense for Microsoft. Imagine the flock of flickr users (me being one of them) who become terrified by the thought that Microsoft will now "take care" or throttle their online image sharing service. *shruggs*. If this merger happens...Ill ditch flickr, thats for sure, and I'm sure many individuals will so the same as well.

Rumors, rumors, rumors ^_^

That was quick: Microsoft is not buying Yahoo! (Full Story)

Just hours after we learned that Microsoft was in negotiations to take over Yahoo! the talks ended. The Wall Street Journal (subscription required) reports that the talks were more of a quick chat.

Of course the blogosphere went crazy Friday (slow news day) with speculation on what this would mean for both companies. Microsoft jsut lost its bid to purchase DoubleClick, while Yahoo! is expanding its own advertising network. And while Microsoft has been trying to build its brand online to the point where it's as ubiquitous as the company's desktop software, Yahoo! already has as strong a presence as anyone online.

Could we see talks resume in earnest at some point? We wouldn't rule it out. But as of today, there's nothing to see here, so move along.

To expand on what EFI said.

Imagine if Google got behind ubuntu, it would give a corporate name to a good, solid, free linux distro. Especially if Google supported it, and kept it free. (Although, they'd might put crappy adware in the OS to keep it financially possible). We are, on the brink of an era that might at least kill Microsoft's dominance, market leadership is there for at least a while, but dominance, not so much.

ahh - goobuntu - it actually exists btw - google has their own form of ubuntu for use inside the company... it has not been released elsewhere however... you never know

Yep, a finished form of Gubuntu, with all kinds of Google goodies packed in. Even if Google charged $20 every 6 months for the new version, and inclued some proprietary stuff, that made linux work perfectly and support more hardware, Vista could kiss my friggin ass.

Although, as people have seen me defend Windows, it's not bad, there's better out there, they just need to support devices better.

To expand on what EFI said.

Imagine if Google got behind ubuntu, it would give a corporate name to a good, solid, free linux distro. Especially if Google supported it, and kept it free. (Although, they'd might put crappy adware in the OS to keep it financially possible). We are, on the brink of an era that might at least kill Microsoft's dominance, market leadership is there for at least a while, but dominance, not so much.

Well said Track. :D

If Google got Ubuntu...I swear, I would dual boot OS X in parallels with this hybrid google/ubuntu OS. You never know though. Tha would be amazing neverthless.