OS X Wants a reboot

juddles

24 posts in this topic

OK, The installation of Jas went fine and the boot.ini is in order so all that is ok.

Every time I attempt to load OS X the grey apple screen comes up and it does some loading for about 15 seconds then a grey screen appears that says " You need to restart your computer...."

It does this every time without fail

specs of pc as follows:

Intel c2d 6600e

nforce 680i

2x geforce 7900's

soundblaster audigy2

mac usb keyboard

saitek usb mouse

OS installed on a 20gb HDD

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Yes I selected the Intel option, and I too, selected the nvidia drivers to be installed. also how do I boot into single user mode? do i need to enter some sort of safe mode?

- thanks

Well I tried the thing snd when I hit -s the system would just reboot. So I went ahead and reinstalled after a format and this time without the nvidia drivers selected. Still does the same thing with the reboot msg.

any other suggestions would be great and thanks again for everyones help

Ok I got into the prompt (finally ) and type -s, it goes through the load process, screen goes blank then comes back with two lines in yellow saying "Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI" and at the bottom its at "Localhost:/root# " and I cannto type anything.

Did I miss a step?

-Thank you

OK I finally decided to reinstall OSX from the cd rather than vmware and this time I get no USB error lines and I can boot up OS X with -x. I managed to delete the GeForce.kext file and now OS X boots without the reboot error. Now my question now is, am I going to be able to load any geforce driver now or am I stuck with native 1024x768 garbage res?

-thank you

hi all,

i 'm having similar trouble after the installer finishes and it starts for the first time. Message: "Please reboot the computer" Did a second installation from scratch deactivated all the stuff and still the same as above. I even got no chance to hit F8 during boot time. I cannot enter into single user mode or do debugging also.

My System is: Asus P4P800SE, P4 - 2,4 GHZ Cpu, GForce MX w. 128 MB AGP, 1 GB DDR, IDE Disks and IDE DVD Burner all jumpered as Master/Slave (no cable select !). DVD is Secondary Master.

Image is 10.4.8 by JAS SSE2/3 ........... which i burned at 2,4 to a dvd-rw.

Other issues are that the installation is somewhat slow, so it takes almost one hour to get the installation done.

Any ideas ?

CU Tom

Fixed my Problem !!!

You need to delete not only Geforce.kext, this does not fix the issue. Instead delete the Nvidia Drivers with rm -rf NVDA* . I also deleted the ATI and GeForce stuff. My System is now up and running ;-)

CU Tom

I am having the reboot problem after installation. I installed JAS 10.4.8 every possible way, without video drivers, with video drivers, without X11, with X11, and so on with every combination possible. I am tired of waiting for installs.

My setup:

P4 HT 3.0 Prescott Processor

512 MB Ram

20 GB IDE (yes it is the primary master)

dvd-rom (i tried using it as the primary slave, and the secondary master, so no problem there)

nvida video card

Now my question is basically, how can I boot into my Mac OSX86 that I have ever seen?

What files need to be deleted from single user mode? (assuming that is what -s does when putting in boot options)

How do I delete those files? (what commands should i enter into the terminal, and where they are located)

I have been so excited about doing this for a month, but I have not been able to get it to work.

If anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated.

***Yes I can read the above posts, but they do not explain how to do it, and there are conflicting posts/multiple solutions.

I private messaged ductom2002 to get a detailed explination of a possible fix for the reboot issue after installing Jas 10.4.8 OSx86. This is his fix in detail. Thank You Tom.

"Hit F8 after bios sequence is completed. Now you should see darwin boot loader command prompt. just type: -s -v followed by the enter key. If you have done so far, you should be able to call a command: type "/sbin/mount -uw /" (without the quotes) and the root partition will be remounted as read/write. Go ahead and change directory: "cd /System/Library/Extensions/" press "enter". Go and do a "rm -R NVDA* ATI* GeForce*". Reboot and you should be prompted to enter registration information."

Thank you again Tom. I will try it tonight when i get home and let everyone know how it went.

Thank you TOM!

The above method works. The best part is that all of my usb devices (card reader, flash drive, and even my printer) work!!!

I also have working ethernet, modem, and left speaker audio (its still more audio than most!!)

Completely excited and aaaahhhhhhhhhh! It rules.

MY SETUP

|

|

|

|

|

\/

Thank you TOM!

The above method works. The best part is that all of my usb devices (card reader, flash drive, and even my printer) work!!!

I also have working ethernet, modem, and left speaker audio (its still more audio than most!!)

Completely excited and aaaahhhhhhhhhh! It rules.

MY SETUP

|

|

|

|

|

\/

What resolution are you getting now? CI/QE working now?

My resolution is the standard 1024 x whatever (I personally dont care right now).

And CI/QE, I am not sure right now what you mean? I am really tired... havent slept in about 22 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Well im back here what i wanted to do i have Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2] install on my hardrive plus windows xp i use Acronis Disk Director to make my hadrive in 3 differents ways also i use Acronis os selecter to choose my operating system . ok here my computer intel r pentium r 4 cpu 1.80 ghz 1.00 gb of ram my video card nvidia geforce 2 mx mx 400 . i get the restart error when it try to boot up in to mac please tell me whati need to do i think i need reformated the hardrive again and start over becaues i instal video drive this time still did not work . so just tell me what i need to do . and i will try to understand it later sorry for my bad explaining new to all this

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome - it worked completely - after spending so long tracking a solution. BTW, I'm running AMD Athlon 4800 x2 939, nVidia Quadro FX 1400

Many thanks!

Erm, so I go ahead and re-install the nVidia kexts afterward, do I?

Hey All,

I Have a problem just like yours, I guess, But mine is even funnier!!

I run a LG S1 Pro Express Dual Laptop, and the Specs are (Extracted by CPU-Z):

CPU:

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7200 @2.00Ghz

Package: Socket 479 mPGA

Instructions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T

Cache:

L1 Data: 2 x 32 Kb

L1 Code: 2 x 32 Kb

Level 2: 4096 Kb

Mainboard:

LG Electronics

Model: ROCKY

Chipset: intel i945PM

Southbridge: intel 82801GHM (ICH7-M DH)

Graphic Interface:

Version: PCI-Express

Linkwidth: x16

RAM:

1024 Mb DDR2 (2 Slots)

HDD:

160 SATA II Drive

Graphics:

1280x800 ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 512

Not bad, isn't it??

The Funny thing is I have a triple Boot working just fine for Windows Vista , Windows XP MCE 2005 Edition and even the last Version of Linux Fedora Core 7 i-386 (GRUB is not the main Bootloader, Vista is).

I used GParted-Live CD to make the partitioning as follows:

1 - 30Gb NTFS Primary (for Windows XP MCE 2005) <-- Boot

2- 60Gb NTFS Primary (for Windows Vista)

3- 30Gb FAT32 Primary (later converted into HFS+ by the osx86 installer, for Mac, of coarse)

4- 20Gb EXT3 Logical (for Linux Fedora 7)

I AM DYING TO SEE MAC RUNNING ON MY SYSTEM, I've tried to use the osx86 10.4.8 JaS with SSE2 and SSE3 to install mac on my system. The installer loads fine (always with Airport errors, of coarse), it continues fine, Disk Utility sees my FAT32 partition fine, it erases it and converts it to HFS+ and then mounts it very fine, it asks me what packages do I want to install, and by a little bit of common sense, I choose only the Essentials, 'cause it's the only one that fits my specs, fine, the installation continues smoothly with no probs whatsoever, fine, the installation completes with OPTIMIZING MY DISK (not fine), and then it reboots my system into Darwin x86, which takes me to the not so pretty grey screen, where it tells me that I need to restart!!

I know this all sounds common. Now, I try to reinstall the system again (4-tries so far) with the same error. Sometimes it adds a little entertainment to the seen with a "APPLE PANIC thing)..

The funny part that I get is that when I load GParted-LiveCD Again to check my Partitions, BANG!!, all gone!! I lose all my partitons and the only thing I see is an unallocated Disk space of 160Gb (all of my HDD, SATA II again).. No more Vista, XP or Linux!! Smoky, isn't it?

Last time I tried it did not erase my HDD (maybe because I tried to install it on a logical partition this time), but no osx86 was installed!! It tricked me that the installation was completed, but the partition was empty!

PLEASE HELP.. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT..