LED-backlit displays in 2007

17 posts in this topic

As part of their new Green(er) approach to the environment, Apple is planning to introduce LED backlighting to its range of LCD displays.

After coming under some criticism from environmental organisations (including Greenpeace), Steve Jobs outlined exactly what Apple is doing to remove toxic chemicals from their products:

"Apple plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting for all displays when technically and economically feasible...we plan to introduce our first Macs with LED backlight technology in 2007"

But the plus points for LED backlighting aren't all environmental; the technology offers increased colour saturation, lower power consumption, cooler operation and a longer life span when compared to the existing cold cathode fluorescent backlights (CCFLs).

It's not clear exactly how soon we'll see these new displays across the board, as Jobs is careful to mention:

"Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in all of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays."

Oh Goodie :). I was about to buy a new MacBook Pro, now im waiting for this :whistle:, hopefully Apple has OLED by the end of the year, then i'll wait till then. Good News :D

....hopefully Apple has OLED by the end of the year, then i'll wait till then. Good News :)

OLED is a different technology. Apple is saying that the LCD's get a LED backlight instead of the traditional cold cathode fluorescent backlights (CCFLs). A great benefit of OLED displays over traditional liquid crystal displays (LCDs) is that OLEDs do not require a backlight to function.

Never the less this is great news! :P

Now this is great news. I'd never even thought about how wasteful apple are, just how expensive.

And that greenmyapple site looks really slick.

Thanks ColdFusion for the informative piece.

No Problem. Yeah I like the GreenMyApple site too; it does make you think...

Simania, i know what OLED is :). my phone has it, i was saying that as they have led backlights now which save more power, hopefully they will get OLED screens by the end of the year, which will save even more power, and be thinner

yea i was looking at OLED at wikipedia and it says that they only have a lifetime of OLED at the moment is only about 5,000 hours, but they are working on ones that could last up to 20,000 hours, so for now i dont think OLED is the thing to go with.

Thats why i gave room till the end of the year, hopefully by then they will last much longer, afaik the wikipedia is a bit outdated as the ones they have now made long lasting ones, they have also made blue ones that last much longer than previously, so all is good :), + u can get extra high resolution

Simania, i know what OLED is :P. my phone has it, i was saying that as they have led backlights now which save more power, hopefully they will get OLED screens by the end of the year, which will save even more power, and be thinner

Sorry Kiko should have known you we're joking :) and me also hopes the OLED screens hurry up.

More reasons now that I should hold on to my macbook CD until next year, maybe by then, there will be OLED macbook pro with core quad, leopard, ilife and iwork 07 and under $2000 for the minimum config.

More reasons now that I should hold on to my macbook CD until next year, maybe by then, there will be OLED macbook pro with core quad, leopard, ilife and iwork 07 and under $2000 for the minimum config.

my thoughts exactly, just i have an mbp

That's good news. My one concern is that LEDs suffer from a gradual loss of efficiency, potentially reducing to 50% of the original light output after daily use for a year (reference here) - as anyone who has used LED nightlights can confirm. Let's hope that Apple looks at the technology very carefully before making a choice, or they will have floods of unhappy users with dim displays...

Looks like we might see updates to the Macbook Pro and the Macbook fairly soon. Digitimes reports that Apple has been requesting 13 and 15 inch samples from manufacturers and that shipping will officially commence in the second or third quarter of 2007.

cool. im waiting for the update of the MacBook before getting it.