Leopard for PowerPC?

four!

10 posts in this topic

Will there be a PowerPC version? I dont want my PowerMac's to be useless.

I've heard yes and no

Anyone with a definite answer?

Definitely yes.

Unless Apple wants to suicide.

The answer is on Apple's Leopard minisite, in the "64bit" section,

"Leopard delivers 64-bit power to both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs, so you don’t have to install separate applications for different machines."

Regards.

Universal Version meaning "In Theory" putting the Leopard disc in my PowerMac and it booting then putting the same disc it into a MacBook and it boots also. This makes sense. I put a JaS.10.4.8 disc in my Powermac as a test just now and it began to boot but the little spinner underneath the apple logo froze and the Powermac locked up.

Universal Version meaning "In Theory" putting the Leopard disc in my PowerMac and it booting then putting the same disc it into a MacBook and it boots also. This makes sense. I put a JaS.10.4.8 disc in my Powermac as a test just now and it began to boot but the little spinner underneath the apple logo froze and the Powermac locked up.

Tried that also on a iMac G3 with the JaS 10.4.8 and it would not eject. The Intel version of Mac OS X is just that, an Intel compiled version of Mac OS X. Remember, Apple was maintaining to separate platforms throughout the life of Mac OS X. With Leopard the aim is to provide a Fat Binary for the four separate Apple PC architectures (PPC G4 (32-Bit), PPC G5 (64-Bit), Intel Core Duo (32-bit) and Intel x86-x64 (64-Bit), when you insert the Leopard DVD, the installer chooses the appropriate instruction code at install time. This will then distribute the appropriate binaries for the platform it is being installed on. The disadvantage, larger file size. I have to say this is a massive software development on Apples part.