Change Darwin default boot option to Windows...

Mebster

9 posts in this topic

Can I change Darwin bootload to have Windows set as my default boot option?

I've looked around and havn't been able to find anything helpfull on it. Just a lot of people wanting to do it and no serious yes or no answers.

The only thing I've found is this in the wiki. Problem is I don't know what it does.

To set Darwin to boot from a particular partition:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=diskXsY</string>

I didn't want to try it and then not be able to boot into anything.

Appreciate any help. :)

Yeah, I've seen that in the wiki before, but numerous people have had no success with it. The only thing I can think of is using the Windows bootloader to select which OS to boot. As far as I know, within XP, you can change the boot order depending on which OS you want as the default one to load.

Yeah, I've seen that in the wiki before, but numerous people have had no success with it. The only thing I can think of is using the Windows bootloader to select which OS to boot. As far as I know, within XP, you can change the boot order depending on which OS you want as the default one to load.

Yeah, SABR, I thought of that. I think setting

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>

means OS X boots without delay. At least it did when I tried it. Alternatively I could set the timer to 0.

It's just for some reason I want to stick to Darwin. It's been going so well so far and just get the feeling chain 0 is gona give me hell at one point or another.

Finally I'm considering using Acronis.

Anyway thanks a lot dude for your input.

If i'm not mistaken, this should specify where is the root device ("rd"), ie on which partition the desired boot sector is supposed to be on.

I do mean "should", quotes included. But haven't tested if that can work to boot anything else than osx boot sector code...

I do understand the attachment to the darwin bootloader: quick and simple. Just like grub, except that grub doesn't automatically pick up osx...

Hi,

Don't do that, I pointed to my XP partition so OSX was looking for an OSX in that partition and obviusly got an error.

So I had to change the file back to normal.

I also could not find a solution yet, OSX is my default and if I want XP I have to select it, I only set 30 sec. delay just to dont miss it.

Bye

• 2 weeks later...
It only works with OS X or Darwin paritions as rather than booting a partition it searches for OS X files such as a kernel and System directory. If you set it to an NT or Unix OS then it will fail to boot.

Ahh well I tried Acronis with darwin set to quietboot (or timed to zero - can't remember which) and it's working great. Not as slow as I thought it would be but Darwin definately is faster. Especially using the keyboard to select which partitions you want to use. Acronis takes a second or two to fully I guess notice you have a keyboard so if you press a key right when Acronis loads you'll need to press it again. Mouse is instant.

Anyway anyone figure out a way to get Darwin to select XP by default, let me know. :)

• 3 weeks later...

If you're using two seperate HDs you can use this method.

1. set in BIOS the Win HD at first, the Mac HD as second boot HD.

2. copy in C:\ the file CHAIN0. It's 512 bytes long and you'll find it on the Windows side of your MacOS Install DVD.

3. Now edit boot.ini. Normally it's hidden and write-protected.

To boot Windows first add this line to boot.ini (backup first):

C:\chain0="MacOS X x86 10.4.x my personal system"

To boot MacOS first it should look like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=C:\chain0

[operating systems]

C:\chain0="MacOS X x86 10.4.x my personal system"

<your windows boot sytem entry>

Insert the black lines. Tips: enter /noexecute=alwaysoff and Windows disables the file execution thing (Don't know the english expression). Set the timeout to 5 or so and change the timout in com.apple.Boot.plist in MacOS too.

At next reboot should show off with the Windows boot selector and you can select one of the OS's.

GreetinX from the Other Side!