Education - Where are we going wrong?

33 posts in this topic

Wow, that's harsh. I respectfully disagree (and this is coming from somebody that has a negative view of college [me]). If we got rid of schools, we would suddenly have 90% of the population that couldn't read, and we would be surrounded by even more idiots than is already the case. The problem is that the school hasn't changed its format since its inception, it is still about sitting in a class room where the teacher talks down to you and talks about things that you are expected to sit there and listen to.

However, if we changed the teaching style to meet today's needs I feel like much would be accomplished, if there were more interaction between student and teacher, rather than more riddilin prescriptions, we would be doing a lot better.

The teaching STYLE is the problem, we are focusing more on formal tests, multiple choice, etc. So we have a bunch of students remembering useless definitions and irrelevant, subjective facts. If teachers focused on general concepts rather than petty details then we would have much smarter people out there in the world. Just my opinion anyway :)

Haha, I agree with you somewhat, I guess it's because I've never really learned much in school that I've actually used. I mean, I was reading full length novels in grade 3. :-P

But yes, some people DO need schools, or they'd be {censored}heads, wait, they are anyways. :-P

I dunno, I just say, at least, anything after grade 9 should NOT be compulsory.

Haha, I agree with you somewhat, I guess it's because I've never really learned much in school that I've actually used. I mean, I was reading full length novels in grade 3. :-P

But yes, some people DO need schools, or they'd be {censored}heads, wait, they are anyways. :-P

I dunno, I just say, at least, anything after grade 9 should NOT be compulsory.

Dude I am the same exact way as you, but...we're the exception to the rule. Most people need to be forced to learn, need pressure put on them etc. I wish it weren't the case, but it is ;). I just don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of dumb asses as is currently the case...

I love the public school system, 3 day suspension for posession of marijuana, skipping (3days), and forgery :censored2: ITS GRRRRRRRREAT!

other than that, its that whole "freedom" loophole we have, we can chose what we want to do, and most kids want to do whats easy :thumbsup_anim:

Dude I am the same exact way as you, but...we're the exception to the rule. Most people need to be forced to learn, need pressure put on them etc. I wish it weren't the case, but it is :thumbsup_anim:. I just don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of dumb asses as is currently the case...

We are anyways. :-)

A lot of good points have come up here. For example, the tenured teach. One of my friends (who lives in San Jose) had a {censored}(no other adj, sorry) of a teacher.Even the district knew about that. But, she had 10+ years of teaching under her belt and when the district tried to remove her, she sued because on the grounds of age discrimination(or something like that) and since the district didn't want to fight the teacher's union(who sprung into action when they found out a tenured teacher was on the line), they let the teacher stay. My friend was to be in the teacher's class for the next four years. So, he switched to homeschooling(which fits his beliefs better anyway). And he now totally owns me at school.(He took Pre-Calc this year, and I'm only on Algebra 2, for example.) When I first met him, he was a so-so student) Did I mention that he's one year below me?

And the voucher system. Because I live in Blue-State California, no vouchers for me.I would rather not go to a public school because I feel like I have to drop to the level of the stupidest kids in school.And I get bull about "tolerance" fed down my throat.And I would rather not pay the $50,000+ the local private school charges either.

One more thing. No Child Left Behind. Useless. So what if the API(Academic Point Index, I think the average of the standardized test scores of the student body ) of a school is high? The questions are not even questions.I recently took the hell(or Company of Heroes time for me) Bush calls Standardized Testing. One of the questions on the World History part was:

Who was one of the leaders of the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia?

a:Mao Zedong

b:Che Guevara

c:Kim Jong-Il

d:Vladimir Lenin

(I heard that the majority of my testing class answered A :P . Someone asked me for that answer and I gave him "A" :( )

And there was a question on the science part:"Which of these is a acid",there was a chart of observations, and only one substance reacted with metals.Yet, a lot of people got that question wrong. :(

And the math section had only basic math. Apparently, slope questions were taken out because they were too hard.

If we had to write down the rationale as to why the question is right for every 10 questions or so, then the teachers would have to focus on critical thinking, in liew of drilling. Then, who knows the changes that would take place?

To sum it up:Tenures= bad teachers keep jobs. Vouchers=good idea but dems controlled by teacher's unions. Standardized testing=waste of time(but good time for LAN/DS WI-FI Connect parties). To fix the education system we need:The basics( A safe learning environment,proper equipment(like books)etc..) and a departure from the drilling mentality we have today.And we need motivation. I'm sure even a die-hard gangbanger could get a PhD if he put his heart to it. We need to instill motivation into kids so that they don't drop out of high school, etc...

Just my :D

Who was one of the leaders of the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia?

a:Mao Zedong

b:Che Guevara

c:Kim Jong-Il

d:Vladimir Lenin

Che Guevara in the Russian revolution lol

But seriously, you've got multiple choice exams over there? :) And people are still able to fail??? (whew...)

As I'm a bit older I've lost track of how exams are structured now here in EU. But I remember my school days as if it was yesterday. All we had which was permitted on our desk during an exam was a sheet with the questions - and questions only - a couple of pens and blank sheets of paper where you had to develop the answers yourself from scratch. We would have most likely had more A's than ever if they had given us a couple of answers to choose from :dance_24:

Oh dear... no wonder...

Somebody should have made a test for Bush & Co. in early 2003:

Name the country where there are three major ethnic/religious groups who hate each other with a passion and which are the two groups who will turn the country into a bloody mess if any foreign armed forces invade and try to introduce 'democracy'?

I remember my school days as if it was yesterday. All we had which was permitted on our desk during an exam was a sheet with the questions - and questions only - a couple of pens and blank sheets of paper where you had to develop the answers yourself from scratch.

+1 :)

i from Russia... :star_sunglasses: