ALPS Glidepad Driver (2 finger scroll etc...)

92 posts in this topic

First of all i want to thank phb for making this possible, he wrote the driver a long time ago, with only a few bugs left.

So after playing with it for some time, i've got it working as it should.

The original thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...l=ALPS+Glidepad

This driver is based on the FFScroll project: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...l=ALPS+Glidepad

The functionality so far:

- Tapping

- Horizontal scrolling

- Vertical scrolling

- Circular scrolling

What i did?

I've put the trackpad.kext in an appleps2controller.kext with the keyboard.kext and the mouse.kext that where missing in the RC1 version.

I also wrapped it up into an installer, makes thing a lot easier ;)

I also must note, i had this tested by someone else, he only had tapping, so it doesn't work for everyone!

Your touchpad will be extreme sensitive at first, so i've attached 2 screenshots with the settings that worked for me.

If you don't like them, you can always toggle them :)

Credits for the driver go to phb

He is not responsible for any changes made to your computer, i am :)

If your keyboard is not working after the installation, just put your old:

/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

back, so make a backup before installing the driver.

Also because this is my first package :tomato:

Almost forgot, phb gave me his permission to distribute as long as he wouldn't be responsible :)

Settings

post-57885-1175529487_thumb.png

post-57885-1175529603_thumb.png

ALPS_Glidepad_Driver.pkg.zip

I did not have the sourcecode, so no.

I just made the applepscontroller compatible, it was only containing the driver for the trackpad, not for the mouse and keyboard.

So you could say it's the original release, with settings included, because a lot of people gave up on it due the sensitivity.

I was hoping someone would consider taking the newest FFScroll and porting the changes phb did. From what i've read about FFScroll, the latest version is significantly better than what the source phb based his off.

can u post ur plist ? it would be easier for configuration

anyway it doesnt fix my problem, cause on my sony vaio the trackpad isnt calibrate as well, i mean the localisation of the mouse moves arent taking the whole trackpad..

OK , almost good news.

It sounds as revolutionary for people out there wich was hoping to scroll with its synaptic touchpad.

I installed your package, the keyboard is working regular, the pointer was too much sensitive.

Then i changed the preferences (YES the ffs panel preferences is loaded regularly and I can use it..).

The problem is about the two fingers scrolling , I CAN use it but I have to make a lot of pressure on the pad!

Another weird thing I noted is that when I push hard with one finger only , I got the scrolling too.

In both case , the movement is a little bit faster than supposed to be useful.

But I think with little modification people with synaptic around can use it!!

Big win Deadmobile thanks a lot!

Could you suggest me what I can change to get it better??

;):thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

OK , almost good news.

It sounds as revolutionary for people out there wich was hoping to scroll with its synaptic touchpad.

I installed your package, the keyboard is working regular, the pointer was too much sensitive.

Then i changed the preferences (YES the ffs panel preferences is loaded regularly and I can use it..).

The problem is about the two fingers scrolling , I CAN use it but I have to make a lot of pressure on the pad!

Another weird thing I noted is that when I push hard with one finger only , I got the scrolling too.

In both case , the movement is a little bit faster than supposed to be useful.

But I think with little modification people with synaptic around can use it!!

Big win Deadmobile thanks a lot!

Could you suggest me what I can change to get it better??

:P:(:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

In the FFScroll panel, you could try deactivating the option

Ignore weaker axis

The thing with the one finger i haven't figured out for myself yet.

And for the fast movement, you only need to lower the scroll speed.

And thank you for testing it on the synaptic touchpad and your feedback, maybe this project could get of the ground again :D

..And thank you for testing it on the synaptic touchpad and your feedback, maybe this project could get of the ground again :D

Yes. Thats for sure!

Now I need to know How I can remove and reinstall..I mean , sometimes when I'm testing , It isn't enough to remove the ApplePS2Controller.kext and back the old one for being sure to remove FFscroll from the system.

I got a partition( a whole system i mean..) dedicated just for this so...

Thanks for your effort.

Erhm, here goes, i suck at terminal commands, so i hope these are the right commands.

sudo -s
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

Only this file, not the ApplePS2Controller, else keyboard and mouse won't work anymore!

rm -rf /Library/PreferenPanes/FFScrollPreferencePane.prefPane
rm -rf /Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist
rm -rf /Library/StartupItems/FFScroll
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/FFScrollDaemon

Now all the files should be gone :D

Edit:

I'm taking a look at the new FFScroll to see if i can upgrade the driver with a newer versions of FFScroll :)

uhmm, I made the wrong one right now..sounds stupid..

Do you know where i can find the ApplePS2Controller.kext stuff??

I removed it accidentaly , and I can't use anymore the keyboard of course.

.. :huh::(

EDIT: I got it solved , but after a new installation the FFscroll pref panel don'l load anymore..it stays there hanging...

I suppose you've installed a new ApplePS2Controller.kext?

If you extracted it from a combo update or something like that, it doesn't contain the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext.

This will cause the FFScroll pref panel not to load.

I , back on FFs!

Reinstalled and ready to try again.

Now , after deactivated "Ignore weaker axis" and other configs without any profitablke results , I intend to ask you what I can change in the installer or the kext itself for findng a good solution.

The trackpad at the moment is almost usable ,but the sensitive level and the activated pressure for two fingers scrolling is far from being useful ( too much pressure for activating and very poor sensitivity on moving the page during scrolling..).

:dance_24:

Are those the removal instructions? I only ask because I don't like how jumpy the cursor is, other than that, it works beautifully....really. I just hate that when I lift my finger to tap a link, it moves off of the link.

I was just reading the rest of the thread, and noticed people having problems with Synaptics? Mine is Synaptics and it works fine except for the jumpyness....

Woahh...update, I followed your directions on removal, couldn't get mouse and keyboard working. The first line should have an / after it. Anyhow, I replaced it with my backed up kexts...and scrolling still works....smoother, and the mouse isn't jumpy, unless i some how had it the whole time, and I just never turned it on....it's working REALLY nicely right now.....I don't know what happened....

Another thing, the funny thing is that it's using the default space that HP provides for scrolling....odd....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys

I am also using a Synatics mousepad and did the exact same as Untouched (had the same jittery probs with the mouse), now the mousepad works perfectly again and the scrolling function is also working like a charm!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this, and the calibration utility doesn't work for me. In fact, it doesn't disable the hotcorners, it doesn't change any values when I move my mouse, and the done button is not clickable.

Two finger scrolling and everything works on the other hand. I too have a synaptics touchpad, and am too experiencing the freezing of the cursor.

Two finger scrolling is it supposed to work only with touchpad that supporting it? 'Cause i have a simple Synaptics touchpad without the scrolling area and i can't make it to work...