Mac Pro's 2 LAN ports

8 posts in this topic

I am using the 2nd lan port to connect my PC to the internet without the use of another router. However, It seems that the PC cannot see any of the other computers on the network when it's connected through the mac. Internet works great however.

Any way around this?

-NH

2nd network port could maybe be used as an internet connection sharing port if the said MacPro is running bootcamp with windows xp or vista, and network connection sharing is enabled....... Not so sure about when macpro is booted into OSX though, but I doubt it.

i'm using it to connect to the internet with my pc, connected to the mac pro, but the pc doesn't seem to become a part of the network. is there a way around that?

Get another Mac. :lol: In my experience, Windows doesn't like to play well with OS X out of the box, especially when it comes to networking. I've never attempted a shared internet connection, but I'd imagine its worse.

From a network topology standpoint the PC isn't in the same plateau as the Mac. The Mac is running it's own DHCP server, assigning an IP address in a totally different range, putting the PC in it's own little network under it. You're either going to need to bridge the connections, do something very hacky, or do the Right Thing by either putting a switch in front of both machines or running another CAT5 to the switch or router the mac is plugged into.