10.4.3 update on VMWARE

thecodecowboy

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been reading alot about installing 10.4.3 over my 10.4.1 install on VMWare but there is so much information on various sites, most of it conflicting. I need the update to install the latest version of Safari for testing. Can anyone tell me definitively which of the following I have to do:

-Start from scratch and install the 10.4.3 image available on piratebay (rumoured only to work on special development machines)

-Install osx86-update.pkg on top of 10.4.1. If so, HOW? the readme has NO instructions and I can't find any that make any sense.

- forget about trying to install 10.4.3

If I get it working, I'll put a guide up on how to do it.

thanks,

lukemack.

care to elaborate? what is it then? do you know how I can upgrade to 10.4.3?

The so called 10.4.3 update is nothing but few enchacements made to your current 10.4.1 version.

Your kernel will nt be upgraded with this pkg.

It comes with the new version of Safari (universial Binary) w/flash plugin

New Itunes / quicktime..

some overall speed boosts are reported and xbench results for CPU speed is increased dramaticlly in some machines..

On the original 10.4.3 , the TMP check has not been cracked yet.. so wait for that one a little longer.

Hope this helps

The so called 10.4.3 update is nothing but few enchacements made to your current 10.4.1 version.

Your kernel will nt be upgraded with this pkg.

It comes with the new version of Safari (universial Binary)

New Itunes / quicktime..

some overall speed boosts are reported and xbench results for CPU speed is increased dramaticlly in some machines..

On the original 10.4.3 , the TMP check has not been cracked yet.. so wait for that one a little longer.

Hope this helps

thanks for this. is the update the 600MB osx86-update.pkg file on the torrent sites? that seems pretty hefty for just a few enhancements. also, i cant find any instructions for installing this. do you know of any? this post talks about a dmg file:

http://win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?p=10963

is that a different file?

thanks,

lukemack.

installation is pretty easy..

Download the image and I guess you will be doing this on wmare so you can follow that post

or even change it to iso and load it to wmare cd-rom as iso..

and then repair permissions to your start-up disk ( before and after the upgrade)

install the package..

reboot..

What I meant by few enchacmenets is that your kernel is still 10.4.1.. no major update there..

just some sofware and general user interface upgrades.. and its 600 some mb.

installation is pretty easy..

Download the image and I guess you will be doing this on wmare so you can follow that post

or even change it to iso and load it to wmare cd-rom as iso..

and then repair permissions to your start-up disk ( before and after the upgrade)

install the package..

reboot..

What I meant by few enchacmenets is that your kernel is still 10.4.1.. no major update there..

just some sofware and general user interface upgrades.. and its 600 some mb.

thanks again for your reply but I'm still not sure I have downloaded the right thing - it doesn't contain a dmg file. it contains:

Directory of E:\torrents\Apple.OS.X.x86.10.4.Generic.Install.DVD\OSX Update\osx86-update.pkg\Contents

18/11/2005 21:01 <DIR> .

18/11/2005 21:01 <DIR> ..

28/10/2005 20:45 6,663,333 Archive.bom

28/10/2005 20:41 624,662,667 Archive.pax.gz

18/11/2005 21:01 0 contents.txt

28/10/2005 20:47 1,226 Info.plist

28/10/2005 20:47 8 PkgInfo

15/11/2005 14:26 <DIR> Resources

5 File(s) 631,327,234 bytes

3 Dir(s) 40,105,500,672 bytes free

is this the right archive? if so, how do I extract it in the correct form for osx?

thanks,

lukemack.

You have the correct download. And you don't need to extract it. A .pkg file is just like a setup.exe file in Windows. When you double click osx86-update.pkg, it should start up an installer in OSX. It will have a few lines about what it includes and it will do all the work for you. You should repair permissions after you install it using the Disk Utility, and then reboot.

Does this upgrade really offer realword improvement to the GUI's responsiveness under VMware, or just to those theoretic benchmark numbers?

The 10.4.3 TPM check has been Maxxuss-ed *(:() now, read win2osx.net (which is currently down :( )

* a New word for future use on the boards, boys & girls:

Maxxuss-ed (:(), meaning tackled by Maxxuss

The 10.4.3 TPM check has been Maxxuss-ed *(B)) now, read win2osx.net (which is currently down :unsure: )

* a New word for future use on the boards, boys & girls:

Maxxuss-ed (:lol:), meaning tackled by Maxxuss

so if the TPM check in 10.4.3 has now been dealt with by Maxxuss, what is the best install possible in VMWare? Can I install his new patches on the 10.4.1 + Update system? Or do I need to start from scratch with a different DVD image?

Thanks,

lukemack.

*bump*

I've been trying to do a fresh install of 10.4.3 in vmware 5.0, but I can't get it to recognize my disk. I get to the graphical install phase, and it asks me to select the drive to install on, but the list is empty. 10.4.1 walkthroughs have a step to set up the drive, but it doesn't seem to work with the new image. I've tried installing to a virtual disk and a partition (ext3).

Hope you can gain something from my experience, this is my first stab at OSx86, so I might be missing something obvious.

I've been trying to do a fresh install of 10.4.3 in vmware 5.0, but I can't get it to recognize my disk. I get to the graphical install phase, and it asks me to select the drive to install on, but the list is empty. 10.4.1 walkthroughs have a step to set up the drive, but it doesn't seem to work with the new image. I've tried installing to a virtual disk and a partition (ext3).

Hope you can gain something from my experience, this is my first stab at OSx86, so I might be missing something obvious.

Chose utilities in the menu section on the top bar to setup you drive. Chose erase drive. It worked for me with VMWARE 5.5.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like things have moved on a bit. can i install the following on my patched 10.4.1 in VMWARE?:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=5593

If not, how do I get my VMWare install up to the latest version. Do I need to do a fresh install from a 8F111 install DVD? How can i tell if I have 8F1099 or 8F111?

thanks,

lukemack.