Toshiba Built-in Bluetooth Working!

hatsmasher

19 posts in this topic

Here's a short little kext I wrote to enable the built in Bluetooth in my Toshiba Portege M400. It should work on other Toshiba with built in Bluetooth modules.

You should see this somewhere in the ioreg output:

| +-o BT <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 6>

| +-o VALZ <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 6>

(you may have VALD, but that shouldn't matter).

You can try loading the kext and then unloading it. It doesn't need to stay loaded to work. After loading it the first time, you should get the Bluetooth icon in the taskbar.

in /var/log/system.log, you'll see something like:

ToshibaAcpi: instance=0x3dc8900 provider=0x347ca80 'VALZ'

ToshibaAcpi: status reg = 42c1

I've built this on 10.4.8:

Darwin 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Fri Nov 3 20:57:08 GMT 2006; dima:xnu-792.13.8/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Have fun!

toshbt.zip

• 1 month later...

What I know so far about the Toshiba bluetooth device on my laptop:

1. the os needs a driver which detects the ACPI entry

2. the driver which detects the ACPI entry turns one the bluetooth device (by making an ACPI call) to the ACPI device

3. the device is attached to a USB hub and the OS handles the device further on

So, the problem with this device is that it's not the same as the previous models, but in Windows, it is still attached to a USB hub.

That's why I think the only difference between the old ones and these ones is that it needs to be turned on before the VALD/VALZ entries show up or they don't exist any longer.

• 2 months later...
This new version will leave BT enabled as long as the KEXT is loaded. when you unload the KEXT, BT will become disabled.

Thanks very much !

Works great (and at first time) on my Toshiba Libretto U100 (with 10.4.8)

Only one very (really very) little drawback :

Libretto U100 has a mechanical switch to power on/off bluetooth and wifi.

If I power off then power on this switch (when the computer is running) , I get well wifi back automatically but not BT.

Fortunately this second version allows to unload the kext.

Thus no need to reboot to get BT back : just unload then reload the kext ! (you must unload first).

A perfect KEXT (for libretto U100)

Jackbel - Brussels

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It stopped to work for me when I upgraded to 10.5.2 (KalywayUpdate and kernel update)...

Any ideas?

thanks...

in ioreg I have now:

| +-o VALZ <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | +-o ToshibaAcpi <class ToshibaAcpi, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 4>

I think that it means NOT registered and NOT matched

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

For reference, this works well on a Toshiba Tecra M7. I recommend installing after TabletMagic so as not to confuse TabletMagic about available serial ports. Tested through 10.5.6.

I have PMed hatsmasher about this, since I think we might be able to implement brightness change if we can somehow mesh this kext and the toshset project for Linux as seen at schwieters.org. Of course if you have GMA950 or X3100 there are other ways to change your brightness such as Reggie SE.

Please PM me if you are interested in helping! Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
This new version will leave BT enabled as long as the KEXT is loaded. when you unload the KEXT, BT will become disabled.

Does this enable bluetooth internally? I have a bluetooth usb dongle that is recognized on my Motion le1700 (not a Toshiba), but I'd like to free that port up without using a usb hub.

Any ideas? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Works great on Toshiba A200-1FJ on 10.5.6.

I'm not sure it's required, but I boot XP, enable BT and reboot to OSX (I have to do similar thing every time when I need touchpad :D ). Anyway... Just switched button on front and I have bluetooth working right now. On/Off button is working on both sides.

I can synchronize my phone with iSync and now I'm sure that all other stuff should work too.

Thanks for the 2nd kext from this topic :blink: .

Note: Added that kext to my little a200-pack on my server (link is always in signature).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Here's a short little kext I wrote to enable the built in Bluetooth in my Toshiba Portege M400. It should work on other Toshiba with built in Bluetooth modules.

You should see this somewhere in the ioreg output:

| +-o BT <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 6>

| +-o VALZ <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 6>

(you may have VALD, but that shouldn't matter).

You can try loading the kext and then unloading it. It doesn't need to stay loaded to work. After loading it the first time, you should get the Bluetooth icon in the taskbar.

in /var/log/system.log, you'll see something like:

ToshibaAcpi: instance=0x3dc8900 provider=0x347ca80 'VALZ'

ToshibaAcpi: status reg = 42c1

I've built this on 10.4.8:

Darwin 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Fri Nov 3 20:57:08 GMT 2006; dima:xnu-792.13.8/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

great!!!!!

work perfectly on my toshiba qosmio g40 with sl 10.6.3