JaS 10.4.8 amd intel sse2 sse3 - onboard Ethernet card no longer functions

Fischerms80

13 posts in this topic

Dell Inspiron 2200

P4M 1.6ghz w/2mb L2 Cache

1.2gb RAM

80gb Toshiba HD - 2 Partitions - 40gb Windows Xp home SP2/MAC OS X 10.4.8 JAS.

Acronis OS selector for boot menu

1. System was built with JAS 10.4.7 then imported data files/apps/settings from the old 40gb drive in a USB 2.0 housing.

2. Installed JAS 10.4.8 intell sse2 update, did the Itunes 7 PPC dance. Everything was woking up to this point.

3. Decided to update the system with the JAS final 10.4.8 with the 8.8.1 kernel. after the reboot found that I had no wireless or 10/100 networking. Could not enable it.

4. For a work around reload the wireless networking package off of the 10.4.7 dvd, reboot and chmod/chown the IO80211 wireless extension. kextload to enable it. Rebooted it and wireless is working for now.

5. What is the intel 10/100 extension/kext that need to be reloaded? I would much rather use the wired network as it is faster then the wireless.

Yea I just installed 10.4.8 from the new JaS 10.4.8 Intel/AMD DVD and my onboard LAN card doesn't detect a connection either. I have an Intel PRO/100 VE which I think is similar to yours. Haven't been able to fix it...actually I haven't really tried, though it did work fine in 10.4.6 and 10.4.7.

There are multiple possibilitys, maybe you don't have the correct devid/ven in the list or need to install a special driver which is not included with latest JaS?

Kext from 4.4 and 4.8 kernel are not compatible in 95% of cases, maybe check your old kext colelction. What does kextstat tell? Have your tried load the kext (in case you got it) manually? Many question I know, just need some more infofs on that :tomato:

Guys - the kext for intel pro 100/ve in the latest jas (10.4.8 sse2/sse3 amd/intel) is broken .. the solution is to get that kext ionetworking bla bla from 10.4.8 combo update, modd the klext according to the tutorial from genius bar, and you will be back with network in no time .... already tested and working ... hope to help-you .. Seem that this build is more buggy that I have think.. Also, for the people that install 10.4.8 alone on a hdd (no partition with windows), for a successful install apply the ppf created by defiant (cand be found in installation subforum ..) Otherwise, after osx installer restart, you will be stuck with a black monitor and a blinking line .... It seem that the original Disk Utility from jas dvd cannot write the correct partition map on hdd !

Guys - the kext for intel pro 100/ve in the latest jas (10.4.8 sse2/sse3 amd/intel) is broken .. the solution is to get that kext ionetworking bla bla from 10.4.8 combo update, modd the klext according to the tutorial from genius bar, and you will be back with network in no time .... already tested and working ... hope to help-you .. Seem that this build is more buggy that I have think.. Also, for the people that install 10.4.8 alone on a hdd (no partition with windows), for a successful install apply the ppf created by defiant (cand be found in installation subforum ..) Otherwise, after osx installer restart, you will be stuck with a black monitor and a blinking line .... It seem that the original Disk Utility from jas dvd cannot write the correct partition map on hdd !

Could you be more especific?? I install jaS dvd with the patch and had a black and then white monitar with Titan package, that means i´d get a full and funcional instal with defiant ppf??

The reason why the Intel PRO/100 VE cards don't work with the SSE2/SSE3 Jas DVD is because on this DVD, for some unknown reason, the kexts in the Extensions folder are a strange mixup of universal, intel and PowerPC kexts. This has been pointed out several times by many posters on different threads, but always ignored. For example, in the IONetworkingFamily kext, although Get Info on the kext itself says it is universal, the sub-kexts in the PlugIns folder are a mixup of Universal, Intel and PowerPC code. Since the AppleIntel8255x kext is PowerPC, it doesn't load on an Intel/AMD machine (as indicated in the system log: "AppleIntel8255x is not a valid mach-o image").

There are two solutions to this problem, one, that's been mentionned before, is to replace the entire IONetworkingFamily kext on your machine with the one from Jas 10.4.3 DVD. The other one, which is the one I used, is to replace only the AppleIntel8255x kext with the one from the Jas 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Only DVD which, for some reason, is compiled in Intel code, and works perfectly on a SSE2 machine even though it comes from a SSE3 only DVD.

I don't know if this second solution will work on a AMD machine though, because mine is an Intel SSE2 and I don't have an AMD machine to test it on.

Hi all,

I am quite a Newbie and just tried to Install OSX with JaS 10.4.8 amd intel sse2 sse3 Install. I was able to add the PPF. But of course the mentioned problem with the wrong kext for the Intel PRO is still there. Due to the fact that I have no access to other installations I am desperately searching for AppleIntel8255x kext with the one from the Jas 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Only DVD as Laqk mentioned in this thread. I would very much appreciate if someone can send me the files to my username at hotmail.com or point me to a place where I can download them.

thanks in advance

Chris

There are multiple possibilitys, maybe you don't have the correct devid/ven in the list or need to install a special driver which is not included with latest JaS?

Kext from 4.4 and 4.8 kernel are not compatible in 95% of cases, maybe check your old kext colelction. What does kextstat tell? Have your tried load the kext (in case you got it) manually? Many question I know, just need some more infofs on that ;)

The Driver was a default install on 10.4.7 JAS AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3 DVD as well from 10.4.8 Intel SSE2 update. I would guess the pronlem lies on the JAS 10.4.8 AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3 DVD Apple8255*/Intel drivers. Later on will try to pukk the Apple8266 kexts from the Backup drive and see what happens.

I solved this on an Intel D945GNTLR by using Pacifist to extract the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the JaS 10.4.6 DVD and drill down to the AppleIntel8255x.kext, copy that out to the desktop.

Then delete the installed AppleIntel8255x.kext, replace it with the one you put on your desktop.

(if you do a Get Info on each of the kexts, you'll notice that the one from your machine (installed by the JaS 10.4.8 DVD) is PowerPC, and the one you extracted from the 10.4.6 DVD is Universal.

Then edit the Info.plist as seen in the Genius Bar article, I used 0x27dc8086 for my board.

Repair Permissions, clear the kext cache, and restart.

Voila!

We have network.

Now on to getting the Sigmatel 9223 working...

- Doc

I solved this on an Intel D945GNTLR by using Pacifist to extract the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the JaS 10.4.6 DVD and drill down to the AppleIntel8255x.kext, copy that out to the desktop.

Then delete the installed AppleIntel8255x.kext, replace it with the one you put on your desktop.

(if you do a Get Info on each of the kexts, you'll notice that the one from your machine (installed by the JaS 10.4.8 DVD) is PowerPC, and the one you extracted from the 10.4.6 DVD is Universal.

Then edit the Info.plist as seen in the Genius Bar article, I used 0x27dc8086 for my board.

Repair Permissions, clear the kext cache, and restart.

Voila!

We have network.

Now on to getting the Sigmatel 9223 working...

Copied the IONetworkingFamily.kext from my backup disk(10.4.8 JAS Intell SSE2 update Version) and over wrote the existing version. Chmod/chown drill and rebooted the beast. Turned off the Airport, configured the ethernet and it is back working. Life is good.

Thanks for everyones help on this fire drill :P

- Doc