converting DMG o IMG?

saturn

12 posts in this topic

DMG is pretty much an Apple format CD ISO.

I think MagicISO along with many other apps will convert it, even nero might!

Also, I'm pretty sure trying to dd a Disk Image wont work...

If I'm wrong and it's really a disk image, well...I have no idea.

*Just trying to be of help!

DMG is pretty much an Apple format CD ISO.

I think MagicISO along with many other apps will convert it, even nero might!

Also, I'm pretty sure trying to dd a Disk Image wont work...

If I'm wrong and it's really a disk image, well...I have no idea.

*Just trying to be of help!

Not entirely, some DMG are compressed so you can not convert/burn them with Nero/other burn software.

One of the tools to convert DMG is UltraISO, it also can burn it with a CD/DVD writer.

IMG could be the same as DMG, you can take an IMG of PeaPC and mount it in Mac OS, and viceversa you can take a DMG (not compressed) to PearPC or VMWare and use it as drive.

I work full time, been trying to get OS X running on my PC in my spare time...

I have an SSE2-enabled Celeron-D. i845pe chipset. AC'97 audio -- should be compatible.

when I run the DVD it says "This system configuration not combatible with x86/Darwin (3)" ...or something.

is there no way to run the full installer without the DRM chip and Apple-Intel board?

Have you read anything about the patch?

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...ype=post&id=578

Please do so and do more searches, the answers are all there.

The patch is done in WinXP:

III Creating the DVD

To create the patched Release1 DVD you're going to need a few things. The proper filename for the actual release file is:

Generic_OSx86_Install_DVD_Patcher_Release1.rar

Inside that archive are a few files:

- The Marklar-Tiger-patch-release1.rar file, which is the actual ppf binary patch file in compressed RAR format. The RAR file has authenticity and recovery information added. I made a booboo with the test3 release and didn't lock the archive so people were getting the "authentication errors." That's been resolved.

The md5 checksum for the Marklar-Tiger-patch-release1.rar file is:

2c055c0ea272257c13a2ef499058361a and file size of: 150,403,797 bytes

If the checksum doesn't match, you've got a problem. If everything is ok however, extract the contents and you'll have a Marklar-Tiger-patch-release1.ppf file.

The md5 checksum for the Marklar-Tiger-patch-release1.ppf file is:

00e674b0ce843f7ba99f95b35d6f03f5 and file size of: 332,681,894 bytes

Again, if the checksum or the bytesize don't match, the patching process isn't going to work.

But, if you luck out and everything is okey dokey so far, then you need to locate the Marklar-Tiger.dmg file distributed far and wide across the Internet. No, I won't tell you where to find it, I'll just say Googling or checking Bit Torrent file sites for "pheNIX" would put you on the right path.

Once you acquire that .dmg file it should match the following information:

The md5 checksum for the Marklar-Tiger.dmg file is:

6671b06db57db94bebffdd2cffc2c78e and the filesize is: 2,618,664,581 bytes

Once that's checked out and ok, you'll need to get a copy of UltraISO at www.ultraiso.com. Please note if you have UltraISO already you should still go get the latest version directly from that website. Why? Because I got a lot of IRC comments about people not being able to do the necessary dmg > iso conversion, that's why. Those people were using older versions of UltraISO that didn't convert dmg to iso properly.

So you've got a bunch of verified md5 files, and now the 2.43GB .dmg file that you've checked for the md5 also. The reason for all this md5 checking is simple: You're going to be apply that ppf file as a binary patch to the .iso file you're about to create with the UltraISO conversion. One single bit out of place and the entire process becomes a complete waste of time.

Just one bit will prevent it from working.

md5 checksums keep everything straight and inline so the binary patch application works - meaning the one patched DVD I have that works will be the same thing you're about to create. Got it? Good.

Ok, moving on. Get the latest UltraISO, install it, run it, choose Tools - Convert. Locate the .dmg file and choose ISO as the format, click Convert and wait a few minutes (typically) for the conversion to be done. UltraISO will alert you when it's finished, so click Return and close UltraISO. Now we need to verify the checksum of that .iso file you just created (yes more checksums).

Check the Marklar-Tiger.iso file against the following information.

The md5 checksum for the Marklar-Tiger.iso file is:

e78fe52e30a1f8c5b29d4b7932a16c5e and the filesize is: 4,293,001,216 bytes

What do you do if that doesn't match your .iso checksum? Well, in my first experience doing this with the test3 release, I had to convert the .dmg file to an .iso file 4 times - you read right, 4 times - before finally getting the proper checksum on the 5th try. I know it sounds ridiculous, but consider the conversion process is taking roughly 18-20 billion bits of data and converting it to 32-36 billion bits of data and if just one bit is out of whack the whole thing is useless.

Why this "bit loss" happens sometimes is beyond me, so don't ask for an explanation. All I know is that I myself had to convert the .dmg to .iso 5 times before I got the winner. If you simply cannot get the proper checksum/filesize matching, your original .dmg is most likely corrupt in some fashion, sorry.

Once you get the proper ISO checksum matched, then it's time to do the actual patching.

Run PPF-O-Matic, point it to the Marklar-Tiger.iso you created and verified. Then point it to the Marklar-Tiger-patch-release1.ppf and READ the information that bender left behind for you fine folks before clicking the Apply button.

Seriously, read that information, it's important and highly useful. Once you've read it and you're ready to rock, click Apply and wait until PPF-O-Matic is done with the binary patching. After it's done it'll simply say the patching was complete and "Burn the CD now!" - yes we know it's a DVD, so don't worry about the typo.

Exit PPF-O-Matic and then... yep, you guessed it... one last md5 check is needed.

The md5 for your patched Marklar-Tiger.iso file should be:

9a5270e693b2148ba685638f05ea76c2 and the filesize remains the same at: 4,293,001,216 bytes

After that checksum is verified, wish bender and me an "attaboy," pat yourself on the back for being able to follow my excessively wordy instructions and go get a drink. It's time to burn that puppy.

Fire up your favorite DVD burning application and burn the ISO.