New "Quad" Powermac G5

9 posts in this topic

Apple just released its "quad"powermac with dual cores with 2.5ghz per core, with total of 10ghz of power. What you think? is apple really ready to goto intel when they have this kind of power with powerpcs?

Apple just released its "quad"powermac with dual cores with 2.5ghz per core, with total of 10ghz of power. What you think? is apple really ready to goto intel when they have this kind of power with powerpcs?

Not even close to 10 GHz. That's not going to run any faster, it's just going to multitask faster.

How about a dual-processor, dual-core, hyper-threading P4? That would be, uh, like 8 CPUs to the computer...

:D

How about a dual-processor, dual-core, hyper-threading P4? That would be, uh, like 8 CPUs to the computer...

:rolleyes:

That would be cool, though personally i'm still a g5 fan..

Nice. I hope they do better than my genuine IBM A50 desktop which is fast but suffers from one huge problem - it spins down its secondary disks if they haven't been used for a bit so you wait fifteen seconds for them to come back to life when you want to read or write them. Doesn't matter how quick your processor/bus/memory is if it does that. And no, you can't change that in the BIOS on this machine (there is a setting but it makes no difference)... talk about dumb design. Apple wouldn't ever make this mistake?

The problem with the dual core P4's is that they run through a single BUS which is a bottleneck. They don't have the same performance as a dual Xeon system.

Well... Yes but at least they are using HyperThreading so 8 logical procs.