Added ram modules, now no wifi?!

8 posts in this topic

Hi, so here’s a weird situation. I upgraded my macOS 13 Opencore machine by adding two more ram sticks (now 32gb total , four 8gb sticks) and now the wifi card I have is disabled. Wifi works in windows, just not the Opencore installation.

Bluetooth still works.  

Quick fix anyone???? Please 😂. Ill be blindly changing things for a while with this one I figure. 

*system details*

Asus strix z490-h
Corsair rgb rt 8g x4 3600mhz c18
rx580 8gb
wifi : BCM943602CS via pci-e adapter

Notes:

A friend suggest I try another pci-e slot, but this has not produced different results. 

Please let me know if I need to provide further info. 

Cheers

No relation between the RAM upgrade and WiFI card not working. More likely you did the latest Ventura update as a result you lost your wifi functionality. Problem reported by many users. Try Monterey if you have a spare ssd for a quick test.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spckyactnfrmadstnce said:

Please let me know if I need to provide further info. 

Yes something seems to have changed slightly in the latest update

You could try deleting the Network Settings, reboot, clean NvRAM and on rebooting will force Ventura to rebuild Network Settings afresh.

20 hours ago, eSaF said:

Yes something seems to have changed slightly in the latest update

You could try deleting the Network Settings, reboot, clean NvRAM and on rebooting will force Ventura to rebuild Network Settings afresh.

Many thanks for the suggestion! I will try this when I get home from work tonight. I've not done any updates. The wifi works when I take out the new ram sticks. 

23 hours ago, CloverLeaf said:

No relation between the RAM upgrade and WiFI card not working. More likely you did the latest Ventura update as a result you lost your wifi functionality. Problem reported by many users. Try Monterey if you have a spare ssd for a quick test.

Thanks for the reply. There have been no updates applied on the machine. This has always been Ventura. And strangely the wifi works when only 2x8gb ram sticks. Just not when 4x8gb ram sticks. Either way bluetooth still works??! It's weird. I'm wondering if I need to define the ram in opencore...

Edited by Spckyactnfrmadstnce

1 hour ago, Spckyactnfrmadstnce said:

This has always been Ventura. And strangely the wifi works when only 2x8gb ram sticks. Just not when 4x8gb ram sticks.

That is so strange as @CloverLeaf indicated it should have no bearing on the WiFi operation - If it is a third party Card is it possible to move the Card to the lowest Slot on the Motherboard hopefully to minimise possible interference?

• Like 1

@Spckyactnfrmadstnce

I don't see any obvious relationship between the 2 things, as @CloverLeaf and @eSaF.

Only one idea occurs to me: in your BIOS menu is there an option to enable Profile1 for RAM memory? If this is the case, try disabling it if it is enabled or vice versa. But I don't think it influences your problem.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 7:01 AM, CloverLeaf said:

There is non-obvious relationship between "not working" and "RAM upgrade".

There are memory regions in DSDT. Clover has a patch "FixRegions" but you are using OC.

There is DMAR table which usually has reserved memory region which influences on WiFi and LAN. We may disable DMAR or edit it. But second case depends on whole memory size.

• Like 2