Why are you still running OSX in a virtual machine?

33 posts in this topic

I have a 40 Gb hard disk. And an external 320 Gb disk. I already dual-boot between Windows and Ubuntu. Having a third partition would make it crowded, considering that my Windows partition is always almost full. I did not get a bigger internal disk because external disks are less expensive than laptop disks, and well... I'm a student!

I can boot off my external disk by selecting it through my BIOS, but why would I do this if my PC has been reported to have compatibility problems? And also, I don't think I use OS X often enough.

I run OS X in VMware instead on Native simply because OSx86 is a hacked operating system. Most people just don't seem to realize this. There is absolutely no support for it other than forums (you people did hear that call to Apple Support regarding a Hackintosh, right?) and if you screw up you PC in the process, then you're screwed.

Running OSx86 in VMware is safer than running it Native. I could install it native if I wanted to, I'm not chicken to do it, but like many others I don't think that I'll use OS X enough to make it a primary operating system. Another thing about OSx86 is that you can never freely install any updates/patches/drivers without taking the risk of messing up an install of OSx86.

I will install OSx86 if I get a spare PC, which I don't have right now. If OSx86 becomes officially supported on PCs, then I will install it for sure no matter what.

What Call?Is there a recording I can here?
Its sort of a prank phone call (prank for the caller, but serious for the support rep) that was made by Prawker to the Apple Support Department because of a "panic screen in 5, 6 different languages when I boot my computer". When the tech support rep asks what machine he is running, he says "A Compaq Presario, sir" (referring to a Hackintosh). Download the recorded phone call MP3 here:http://filebeam.com/4b053e364acbc371fc5ae945cea67e1d
It's not a hacked OS. It's just been patched to work with other hardware. :(
"patched to work with other hardware" = hacked OS in a more innocent sounding way :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I could answer w/ one word: Fedora.

But I'll elaborate :censored2:

I use Linux - it is my primary system, and it works well for me. There are a few things that I need Windows for (Labview, Multisim), so I use VMware Server w/ WinXP SP2.

I have a real Mac - a mini that plays movies for me.. but it is really convienent to test out programs that I'm thinking of installing on the Mini into VMware/MacOSX first. This way I can test it out, and if I think it might be a win - I install it on the mini and roll-back the VMware snapshot.

.. Plus, its a really great way to pick up Mac fan-girl chicks at Starbucks.

"How to you have Macintosh on a Compaq?!"

<ctrl-alt>

"Its Linux, baby. Your place or mine?"

Works every time. Heh.

..alright, whatever... it hasn't worked yet.. but it could - and I've been dating the same broad for 7 years so I may as well be married. But you single geeks should try it out and prove my theory.