[Help] Upgrade High Sierra (to??)

126 posts in this topic

I'm sorry I forgot that I already had the installation file... because with the macbook pro m1 I had downloaded it from appstore in the past but never installed it..

the version I have is:

image.thumb.png.6e53afe1d32676d77a091b6e03554b65.png

it's ok?

what is the procedure for creating the USB?

Edited by Montelli

ok, I initialized the ssd to:image.thumb.png.c5ed4ee02df16749e40e24059c5672b0.png

but after that I created a normal APFS partition, is right?

image.thumb.png.da99ffb78d62fbe70049a5502fe083d0.png

image.thumb.png.683b416187766a885cae628cd6a57f08.png

in the cmd string I have to insert only USB or disk5s1 ? (then I ask myself this question also because I saw that you have not created an APFS partition)

and once the usb is created, do I have to mount the EFI folder inside this new ssd? or should I use the one already present in hackintosh for boot the install?

Thank you

But the usb created with the installer ?
The disk initialized to apfs after during installation
Why don't you mention Monterey already?
You can boot from the EFI you have on the disk ( HS ) ... that is, boot normally with the usb inserted in the gui select macos install or install macos monterey 

if you want to make it even easier you can launch  the installer from HS from there select the disk where you want to install i.e. the t7

Edited by antuneddu

Yes, I was confused... but you were clear, thanks! 😁

Anyway good news, monterey is installed on external ssd..😁
and I have a couple of questions..

How do I check if everything is working correctly and great? (power management, usb and c ports, fans, gpu, and everything else ?)

I tried to install ASUS N13 wifi dongle drivers from asus site, 
and the "Software and Utility" driver was installed (although even if in description site it says Supported MAC OS version:10.9/10.10) 
while the ASUS USB-N13 B1 Driver 1.0.1.3 while installing it it says "the package is not compatible with this version of macos"...

I don't understand why the first one was installed and the second one not...
Does it make sense if I contact asus as a customer? or there is a way to force install or make driver compatible?

Ps.or I wonder if it is possible to make work wifi and bluetooth of motherboard?

Edited by Montelli
  • Like 1

Well  :thumbsup_anim:

I forgot that you should change smbios to iMac19,1 more suitable from Mojave up ... just choose the smbios without clicking on generate

682394127_Immagine2022-12-21212317.png.1ba1a90b9b706cd71b44b92025743309.png

As I assumed the usb stick is no longer compatible 🙃 ... you can try to install the drivers following here https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-OC-Big-Sur-Adapter  ( asus n13 is listed ...lucky 🤞)

You could use the lan card it should go with https://github.com/acidanthera/IntelMausi/releases  Open the config with OCAT and drag the kext  it to the Kernel > Add  tab

I would think about a Fenvi t919 ( Santa is coming 😄) you would solve both wifi and bluetooth, also because the integrated ones, as I have seen ,  believe are not supported 

For the usb you should do the mapping you can generate the kext with hackintool (there are many tutorials on the net) easier under HS ... the port limit should be overcome

Edited by antuneddu
  • Thanks 1

unfortunately I don't have a Lan connection.. so I don't usually use it...😅 thanks anyway 😁

can I change to iMac19,1 despite the efi I use it for high sierra (still) ? 

and true..it would be better with Fenvi t919.. but now I try to make asus n13 work 😁

(but isn't there some way to adapt the driver or force install?
I wonder because as I told you strangely one package has been installed and the other hasn't)

for bluetooth I always used a random usb dongle and on high sierra surprised me because it always worked well,

on high sierra it enough to insert it into the usb port without plug and play driver... but strangely now that I connected it to monterey it didn't detect it...

there is a way to fix?

image.thumb.jpeg.56144dc4f0a768fd639e9c128da9e5a0.jpeg

can you send me a tutorial on port limiting?

Thank you

Edited by Montelli

something similar "Linq" style, but it has no brand... I bought it from a chinese shop years ago 😅

I think I will buy Asus BT400 since you tell me it works with monterey...

before following the guide for asus13, 
I also considering whether to buy another one.. I was checking but I can't find a reliable list (maybe)...

but there aren't more wifi adapters with with drivers for monterey or higher macos?

Can you recommend one?

Edited by Montelli

You may see the chipset mounting... Broadcom or whatever

However, I remain of the idea that a fenvi would solve everything

The asus n 13 should go ... try

Another extreme but temporary solution you can connect with your smartphone via tethering by adding the HoRNDIS.kext

for ASUS n13 I followed the link you gave me...

and one thing is not clear to me, should I follow the guide with SIP disabled or the other guide?

that is, within the article there is also another guide, NEW: SIP SECURITY ENABLE YES ➤ SIP Security Enable Yes ...

I followed this "NEW",
so i opened the Consent.command and this was the result:

image.png.ccffa62a8c6fde4989e4c9e58437081f.png
but the result seems strangely different from what is written in the guide... right?

so I thought to load in OC Kernel the two kext files present in the drivers folder.. but the result was still the same...

But I went ahead with the guide anyway and then, after disabling sip, entered the terminal string, installed Wireless USB Big Sur Adapter.app , and then enabled sip again...

it seems to work,
but let me explain better, currently only the keyboard and external ssd are connected to the PC, and if I connect the asus n13 to the usb power,

I get a message "The USB accessory needs power..."

image.png.5e8db0f1b232b8cd7575ed0f8f9345af.png

but if I unplug a device like usb keyboard, the asus is detected...

it's quite strange

and I still don't understand why the initial result is different....
is there any reason?
I did well to inserted those two kext files in the kernel?
(because otherwise I delete them)

Edited by Montelli

I disabled USBinjectall and now the message "USB needs power.." doesn't appear anymore... and the wifi works... 🙃

strange...I knew this kext enabled all ports on the controller 🤔

so what should i do to enable all usb ports correctly?

merry christmas 🎄

is coming 😁

Edited by Montelli

Spoiler

so what should i do to enable all usb ports correctly?

MAP THEM 😁

Spoiler

strange...I knew this kext enabled all ports on the controller

Exactly, it is used to exceed the port limit ( 15 ) by also enabling the xhciportlimit quirk ( it only works up to Catalina ) for this I asked you to generate the usbmap.kext ( MAPPING ) from HS

Stable system , no sleep or  power issue....

Once this is done, you can eliminate the other kexts related to the usb , Usbinject... XHCI-unsupported.kext and certainly also the port limit Quirk 

Happy Christmas 

Edited by antuneddu
  • Like 1

before proceeding with the usb, I was thinking of installing Monterey on internal ssd,

can I use Carbon copy cloner for this case? I should copy it inside my Nvme Samsung 960 Evo Internal
or is it more correct to reinstall it?

Edited by Montelli

It's been a while since I made backups, I think you should use CCC version 5 ( ccc-5.1.28.6213 ) not 6... with the latter if I remember correctly the disk will not be bootable

As for USB mapping, try following here as well  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfoO6EOlV_w

Do this from the HS by enabling USBInjectAll again (so you'll disable it later along with XHCI-unsupported.kext )

2 hours ago, antuneddu said:

It's been a while since I made backups, I think you should use CCC version 5 ( ccc-5.1.28.6213 ) not 6... with the latter if I remember correctly the disk will not be bootable

As for USB mapping, try following here as well  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfoO6EOlV_w

Do this from the HS by enabling USBInjectAll again (so you'll disable it later along with XHCI-unsupported.kext )

Thank You for link,

my current version is 5.0 5061

this is one I always used to backup high sierra and I can also boot the Hackintosh backup volume...

what do you think it's good as a version for Monterey?

image.png.dc6ef5356b87d759e3129763309d847f.png