[GUIDE] macOS 13 Ventura with OpenCore 0.8.6 on Z390 Aorus Elite (AMD RX 6600 or Intel UHD 630)

miliuco

55 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, miliuco said:

@aniuks27

Look at my GeekBench 5 scores, only RX 6600 XT, over several months.

As you can see, there is a difference of up to 15.000 points between the minimum and maximum. Always the same GPU, the same PC, no apps running but GeekBench.

In my opinion, there is something that greatly influences this test. It is the temperature of the GPU. I don't have much confidence in GeekBench 5, although it really is the one we use the most to compare equipment. But I have seen that, if the GPU is cold, below 40º (short time after turning on the PC or when using sPPT which keeps the fans spinning all time), the scores are higher, between 85000 and 95000. But when is in its normal operating temperature without sPPT (50 to 55º), the score clearly drops to 70000 - 76000.
I don't really know the reason for this behavior. It is not a high temperature because this GPU can reach 90º when graphic stress tests are done.

The options are the ones you already know:

1. WEG + pikera (iMac19,1 or MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1)
  2. WEG + pikera + Henbury patch (iMac19,1 or MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1)
  3. WEG + pikera + sPPT ( iMac19,1 or MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1)
  4. sPPT without WEG and pikera (only MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1)
  5. Henbury patch without WEG and pikera (only MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1).

You have to try the different configurations and choose the one you like best. I don't like options 3 and 5. My preferred are 1 (iMac19,1 and iGPU enabled in BIOS) and 3 (MacPro7,1 and iGPU disabled in BIOS). 

Reveal hidden contents

gb5.png.306ba9286b294de246c9cfe61ce3b766.png

Hi @miliuco. Sorry for bothering you. Would you be able to share your IOREG for iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS ? My system got some devices that are not defined/recognised properly in my system. Would you create a single SSDT and remove those or just try to find SSDT for each one of them? Or is It really necessary to do it in the first place?image.png.b53184ac72369ba5c569258b77b693b6.png

2022-11-17_10-41-38.png

@aniuks27

My IOReg is the same as yours, using iMac or iMacPro SMBIOS, it doesn't matter.

Spoiler

ioreg.png.a79f1115367f4be43edcca21a09f2a88.png

Those devices haven't a name assigned by macOS because they are devices existing in our motherboard but not in real Macs. But this is cosmetic, they can work fine on macOS even with this name in IOReg or gfxutil. Don't worry about this. SSDTs are not needed.

To have more info, they are:

8086:3e30 /PCI0@0/pci8086,3e30@0 = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) >> 8th/9th Gen Core 8-core Desktop Processor Host Bridge
8086:a324 /PCI0@0/pci8086,a324@1F,5 = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x5) >> Cannon Lake PCH SPI Controller (Serial bus controller)
8086:a36f /PCI0@0/pci8086,a36f@14,2 = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x2) >> Cannon Lake PCH Shared SRAM (Memory controller) 
8086:a379 /PCI0@0/pci8086,a379@12 = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x12,0x0) >> Cannon Lake PCH Thermal Controller 

Hackintool shows them in PCIe tab with the right name, because Hackintool has them included in its database.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone experiencing instability with this setup or similar? I have a Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi + 9900k + 5700xt and while my EFI isn't exactly the same as this one it's very similar. I'm getting kernel panics randomly. Turning the overclock and XMP off seems to help, but it's still unstable. Seems to be related to anything that tries to use the GPU.

Was rock solid on Monterey.

Edited by 8ender

1 hour ago, 8ender said:

Anyone experiencing instability with this setup or similar? I have a Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi + 9900k + 5700xt and while my EFI isn't exactly the same as this one it's very similar. I'm getting kernel panics randomly. Turning the overclock and XMP off seems to help, but it's still unstable. Seems to be related to anything that tries to use the GPU.

Was rock solid on Monterey.

It's quite solid to be honest. My specs are a little different though...

9 hours ago, aniuks27 said:

It's quite solid to be honest. My specs are a little different though...

I'm such an idiot. Apparently, weeks ago when I'd generated a new USBMap.kext I'd named the file USBPorts.kext and didn't update my config.plist. So I was just blowing right past the USB port limit. Monterey apparently didn't care that much about this, but Ventura cared a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 8ender said:

I'm such an idiot. Apparently, weeks ago when I'd generated a new USBMap.kext I'd named the file USBPorts.kext and didn't update my config.plist. So I was just blowing right past the USB port limit. Monterey apparently didn't care that much about this, but Ventura cared a lot.

We all do it from time to time my friend, I remember struggling to get Audio to work only to find I forgot to put the AppleALC.kext in the Folder, so you're not alone on that score. :lol:

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

EFI folder with OpenCore 0.8.7

There are 4 config.plist files for different SMBIOS:

• config-13-imac-amd.plist: iMac19,1 + dGPU AMD + iGPU enabled in BIOS
  • config-13-imac-intel.plist: iMac19,1 + iGPU enabled in BIOS as main card
  • config-13-imacpro.plist: iMacPro1,1 + dGPU AMD + iGPU disabled in BIOS
  • config-13-macpro.plist: MacPro7,1 + dGPU AMD + iGPU disabled in BIOS.

Remember to fill in your serial and ROM numbers (they are empty).

EFI-0.8.7.zip

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

@YangJsheng

Please add a signature to your user profile.

Does macOS detect you Vega 54 without SSDT? Does the GPU work fine on macOS? If both answers are yes, you don't need the SSDT.

But you can try it. SSDT-BRG0 or SSDT-VEGA. BRG0 is simpler si I would start with it. Don't pay attention to the VEGA name, it's not specific to Vega cards.

Both SSDTs need the correct IOReg path to the GPU:

• gfxutil tool >> copy the line of the graphic card
  • Hackintool >> PCIe tab >> mouse over the Vega card >> copy IOReg tab.

paste here the IOREg path and I'll say to you how it must be written into the SSDT.

On 12/18/2022 at 8:35 PM, miliuco said:

EFI folder with OpenCore 0.8.7

There are 4 config.plist files for different SMBIOS:

• config-13-imac-amd.plist: iMac19,1 + dGPU AMD + iGPU enabled in BIOS
  • config-13-imac-intel.plist: iMac19,1 + iGPU enabled in BIOS as main card
  • config-13-imacpro.plist: iMacPro1,1 + dGPU AMD + iGPU disabled in BIOS
  • config-13-macpro.plist: MacPro7,1 + dGPU AMD + iGPU disabled in BIOS.

Remember to fill in your serial and ROM numbers (they are empty).

EFI-0.8.7.zip 6.54 MB · 21 downloads

And please, remember to remove from this EFI :

CPUFriendDataProvider.kext (i think DataProvider for i7 9700k and absolutely not suitable for other CPU...)

and

UTBMap.kext (usb map, maybe not suitable for your system...)

and make your own........... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! I'm experiencing a very strange behaviour from one of my devices and I do suspect that it is the device's drivers issue, but, I'm not sure though.

The touch functionality in my Wacom Intuos tablet (CTH-690) worked fine until recently that I noticed it doesn't. While the pen works fine and the touch is on, when I try to use my fingers on the tablet, it isn't working and the mouse isn't moving. I tried to completely remove the drivers and erase every trace of wacom, then install the drivers again, but to no avail. I tried connecting the device to another active USB hub that I have and it isn't working still, but, on the case's and motherboards USB ports, it works fine, even on a passive USB hub it also works.

Then I put the tablet back to the USB hub it was originally connected and put my computer to sleep, left the house, when I returned I woke the computer and I noticed that the touch functionality was working perfectly fine.

I reboot the computer, no touch... I put my computer to sleep, let it "power down", then woke it up and it was working! 

I have no clue for why the USB that the tablet is connected allows the touch functionality to work after waking up but not after powering up, could it be related to USBMap kext? I haven't touched it... very strange behaviour... 

Thanks!

@YangJsheng

You have looked at the GPU Device Manager on Windows, right? There is a property named Location paths, here you can see 2 keys, the ACPI path and the PCI path. For example, in my machine these are the 2 keys:

PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0100)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)

ACPI(_SB_)#ACPI(PCI0)#ACPI(PEG0)#ACPI(PEGP)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)

Spoiler

gpu-path-1.png.5316cfe272e7f1f893180b151d98a817.png

How to translate them to the strings used on macOS?

PCI path >> to be used in config.plist

• I use it all.
  • The # separator becomes /
  • PCIROOT(0) becomes PciRoot(0x0)
  • PCI becomes Pci
  • The 4 numbers in each PCI block are converted to 2 pairs of hexadecimal numbers:
    PCI(0100) >> Pci(0x1,0x0), PCI(0000) >> Pci(0x0,0x0).
  • The result is:
    PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1.0x0)/Pci(0x0.0x0)/Pci(0x0.0x0)/Pci(0x0.0x0)

ACPI path >> to be used in SSDT

• I use only ACPI blocks.
  • The # separator is converted to .
  • ACPI(_SB_) becomes _SB_
  • ACPI(PCI0) becomes PCI0
  • ACPI(PEG0) becomes PEG0
  • ACPI(PEGP) becomes PEGP
  • The result is: _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP

Spoiler

gpu-path-2.png.3129316a24e57fbb4334feaa54342ef0.png

Do the same checking your own values.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

On 2023/1/24 at PM4点43分, YangJsheng said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much! Please help me to see the error.

PCIROOT(80)#PCI(0200)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)

ACPI(_SB_)#ACPI(PCI1)#ACPI(QR2A)#ACPI(H000)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)

ACPI(_SB_)#ACPI(PCI1)#ACPI(QR2A)#ACPI(PXSX)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)

PCIROOT(80). how to modify?

PCIROOT(80)/PCI(0200)/PCI(0x0.0x0)/PCI(0x0.0x0)/PCI(0x0.0x0)

Where in config.plist?

On 2023/1/24 at PM4点43分, YangJsheng said:

ACPI(_SB_)#ACPI(PCI1)#ACPI(QR2A)#ACPI(H000)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)

The result is:_SB_.PCI1.QR2A.H000     

download ssdt?

1002:687f

xk

Edited by YangJsheng

@YangJsheng

The PCI path for config.plist can be

PciRoot(0x80)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

The ACPI path for SSDT can be as you say

_SB_.PCI1.QR2A.H000

I attach the SSDT-VEGA adapted to your ACPI path, try it and comment if it works.

Remember to put SST-VEGA-aml into the ACPI folder and also add it to the config.plist.

SSDT-VEGA.dsl is text plain, so you can see the code.

SSDT-VEGA.aml SSDT-VEGA.dsl

Edited by miliuco