Getting Nvidia GeForce Working with Titan/Natit

Rammjet

137 posts in this topic

Damn

Even chaging this value back and clearing the caches won't allow my system to boot any longer. Any idea what it could have screwed?

When I boot with -v Titan correctly finds the 7900GS, but loginwindow fails with the following:

loginwindow[74] *** WARNING: Method _cgsevent in class NSEvent is obsolete and will be removed in release 10.4 ***

This has been working for 3 days. The only other thing I have done is install iLife 06.

Help!!

Steddyman

No luck for me on my GeForce 6100. OS X hangs right before loading loginwindow.

Are you using Natit, get rid of it unless you need duel and just use Titan. Delete all the ids and just use yours: 0x????10de

@Steddyman, you need IONDRVSupport.kext from 10.4.8 back in Extensions and don't edit it.

Sorry. I managed to fix it. It was just me being a noob.

I had changed it back to:

<string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>

When it should of course been:

<string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>

I have it back to life again now.

Thanks for the help.

Steddyman

I sincerely hope somebody can help me out. I am having a very frustrating time trying to get QE and CI to work and I know I am very close.

I have an SSE2 Intel system and am using Jas's latest 10.4.8 (semthex kernel 8.8.1 beta 9) + latest ppf patch from Demon***.

My graphics card is a GeForce 6800 Go 256mb (0x00c810de). I have added my device and vendor ID to the required kexts like everybody's doing (GeForce.kext, NVDANV40Hal.kext, IONDRVSupport.kext). I also tried leaving IONDRVSupport.kext intact like Joe75 recommended.

I have tried Titan.kext and natit.kext (both 0.1 and 0.2) so far.

One thing remains the same though:

- every time I edit NVDAResman.kext my system crashes at boot up (I get the grey screen with 4 languages). So at that point my options are:

1) to keep the original NVDAResman.kext (no adding of device/vendor ID): in that case with titan or natit my computer never fully boots (i get the spinning wheel with apple screen ad infinitum).

2) to remove NVDAResman.kext completely, in which case, my system boots completely but without QE or CI. It also seems that my system is more stable without NVDAResman.kext, I don't get garbage in the windows or anything.

So at this point I am fairly stuck. I have tried every possible combination of kexts and I am hoping that you guys can possibly help me out of this quagmire!

Syldaril.

Edited by syldaril

I sincerely hope somebody can help me out. I am having a very frustrating time trying to get QE and CI to work and I know I am very close.

I have an SSE2 Intel system and am using Jas's latest 10.4.8 (semthex kernel 8.8.1 beta 9) + latest ppf patch from Demon***.

My graphics card is a GeForce 6800 Go 256mb (0x00c810de). I have added my device and vendor ID to the required kexts like everybody's doing (GeForce.kext, NVDANV40Hal.kext, IONDRVSupport.kext). I also tried leaving IONDRVSupport.kext intact like Joe75 recommended.

I have tried Titan.kext and natit.kext (both 0.1 and 0.2) so far.

One thing remains the same though:

- every time I edit NVDAResman.kext my system crashes at boot up (I get the grey screen with 4 languages). So at that point my options are:

1) to keep the original NVDAResman.kext (no adding of device/vendor ID): in that case with titan or natit my computer never fully boots (i get the spinning wheel with apple screen ad infinitum).

2) to remove NVDAResman.kext completely, in which case, my system boots completely but without QE or CI. It also seems that my system is more stable without NVDAResman.kext, I don't get garbage in the windows or anything.

So at this point I am fairly stuck. I have tried every possible combination of kexts and I am hoping that you guys can possibly help me out of this quagmire!

Syldaril.

Edit NVDAResMan and NVDANV40Hal. Put in 0x00c810de in for the string value.

Do not use Natit, it causes problem, use Titan.

I have the exact same system as you and its very simple to get it going.

If you want an easy solution, just get JaS's new 10.4.8 image with the PPF patch. That will work out of the box for video.

Edited by Dense

Edit NVDAResMan and NVDANV40Hal. Put in 0x00c810de in for the string value.

Do not use Natit, it causes problem, use Titan.

I have the exact same system as you and its very simple to get it going.

If you want an easy solution, just get JaS's new 10.4.8 image with the PPF patch. That will work out of the box for video.

Hey Dense, thanks for trying to help me out :thumbsup_anim:

You see, I did use Jas's new image with the ppf patch (v1p ppf), but I didn't get QE/CI out of the box. If I check the Titan box in the installer, my system crashes after installation is over.

Then later I found out that adding my Dev ID to NVDAResMan crashes my system systematically (grey screen of death).

So you're saying that you have an Inspiron 9300, GeForce 6800 Go 256MB too? Did you get QE/CI out of the box with Jas's latest patched 10.4.8?

What is the MD5 of your patched iso, is it 0ef2904e0aad1864c69b2ac67e050255 ?

Thanks for helping!

Syldaril.

Hello and thank you Dense for your tip on how to get the GeForce go 6800 to work with QE/CI on DELL Inspirion 9300.

The first I had to do was to get my ISO (the newest from JaS) patched with the ppf image.

Then I removed all my previous partions on the disk before starting the Installation. Partioned the disk with the built in tool and used fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (I only have one partion...) to set it to ACTIVE.

The I just let the installation proceed as a normal osx86 installation.

Upon the first reboot i pressed F8 and booted in to singleuser mode (-s +<ENTER>)

Mounted the system disk as read/write.

Then I used vi to change Info.plist in GeForce.kext, NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV40Hal.kext. Now everything works just fine except my built in WiFi (Intel pro Wireless 2200BG).

Does any one know how to get the device ID for this kind of card?

epknims1, you can get the device/vendor ID from windows by going to

control panel>Administrative tools>computer management>device manager>network adapters>intel pro wireless (or something like it)>properties>details>device instance id

you'll see your Dev and Ven IDs in the string.

And yea, Dense is right my internal Atheros wireless card works great, however since I switched to 10.4.8 with the new kernel I've been having problems with the wireless. I'm sure it's nothing that can't be fixed though...

Now you're also the owner of an Inspiron 9300 with a GeForce 6800 Go, are you saying that you got QE/CI fully working? Man, I must be doing something really wrong. I'll try to reinstall OSX again. Could anyone please tell me the hash value of the patched ISO, may be the reason I can't get stuff to work on my install is because my ISO is corrupt!

Also epknims1, is the dev/ven ID for your 6800 Go 0x00C810DE? and did you simply add it to the <string></string> under <key>IOPCIMatch</key> or did you erase everything between <string></string> and just kept your dev/ven ID?

And another question: can you edit the kexts in question under windows then simply drag them in OSX and use them?

Thanks in advance.

Syldaril.

Edited by syldaril

Yes, I'm editing all 4 kexts:

- GeForce

- NVDAResman

- NVDANV40Hal

- IONDRVSupport

anymore ideas?

Syldaril

Do not edit all 4, only need to edit 2. Touching IONDRVSupport is what is causing the crash. I did some experimenting and changing the default value of 0x30000000;0xff000000 will cause a problem. Revert it back to normal. Also revert GeForce.kext back to defaults too (0x000010de;0x0000ffff).

im having a trouble too.....

im a owner of a 9300 with 6800go lol.....

the problem im having is that after i installed all , the laptop boots but takes 1/3 of the screen >.>..... also i cant see the mouse.

the 2 sides are black and the middle (1/3) shows OSX

anything i can do before i reformat again? its like the 4th time already =\ ......

Oh Dense, you're a genius man! Thanks to your good advice, I managed to get my GeForce 6800 GO to finally run in full QE/CI!!!!!

Here's how I did it and all the credit goes to Dense for his method and to Omni for his great work on his Titan kext.

- This worked on my Dell Inspiron 9300 (Intel Pentium M SSE2), nVidia GeForce 6800 Go (256Mb) [0x00c810de]

- My OSX installation came from Jas' 10.4.8 (semthex kernet 8.8.1 beta 9) + ppf patch v1p

- Added my Dev/Ven IDs only to NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV40Hal.kext

- Copied Titan.kext to the extensions folder

- In terminal perfomred the following commands:

sudo -s

(type your password)

cd /system/library/extensions ; chown -R root:wheel GeForce.kext ; chown -R root:wheel IONDRVSupport.kext ; chown -R root:wheel NVDANV40Hal.kext ; chown -R root:wheel NVDAResman.kext ; chmod -R 755 GeForce.kext ; chmod -R 755 IONDRVSupport.kext ; chmod -R 755 NVDANV40Hal.kext ; chmod -R 755 NVDAResman.kext ; chown -R root:wheel Titan.kext ; chmod -R 755 Titan.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext ; sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache ; sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions ; diskutil repairpermissions /

- Reboot.

- Now all the resolutions appear in the Display control panel along with full QE/CI! Thanks Dense :censored2:

Syldaril

Edited by syldaril

im having a trouble too.....

im a owner of a 9300 with 6800go lol.....

the problem im having is that after i installed all , the laptop boots but takes 1/3 of the screen >.>..... also i cant see the mouse.

the 2 sides are black and the middle (1/3) shows OSX

anything i can do before i reformat again? its like the 4th time already =\ ......

Yeah Javi, I experienced the exact same problem and it stemmed from the use of natit.kext. I switched to Titan.kext, the problem then disappeared!

Also make sure you have the correct resolution in your com.apple.boot.plist file. The correct resolution should be your native resolution:

"Graphic Mode"="1920x1200x32"

Good luck!

Syldaril.

cd /system/library/extensions ; chown -R root:wheel GeForce.kext ; chown -R root:wheel IONDRVSupport.kext ; chown -R root:wheel NVDANV40Hal.kext ; chown -R root:wheel NVDAResman.kext ; chmod -R 755 GeForce.kext ; chmod -R 755 IONDRVSupport.kext ; chmod -R 755 NVDANV40Hal.kext ; chmod -R 755 NVDAResman.kext ; chown -R root:wheel Titan.kext ; chmod -R 755 Titan.kext

None of this is required. Since Titan and the Nvidia drivers are installed as part of the install, their permission and ownership are correct.

As long as you use "sudo -s" after you open a terminal, you never have to worry about permissions if you are copying files (always use cp -R rather than mv which preserves ownership and permissions).

Disk Utility repair permissions is one of the most overused and unnecessary commands as well. Install the files properly and you will never have to run it.

Also if you copy a new kext into Extensions you often don't even need to remove the kext cache's, OS X notices that the timestamp on the directory has changed and automatically does a rebuild on the next restart. There is a lot of intelligence built in. If you want to force a kext rebuild, just use "touch /System/Library/Extensions".

Getting OS X working nicely on a 9300 isn't that hard. Very little changes are necessary.

Dense, does sleep work w/ your laptop. I have a dell Inspiron 9400 w/ a geforce go 7900 gs. I have no problems w/ titan. It isntalls fine, but neither of the external video heads work, if i plug a monitor/lcd in and use the fn f8 to switch, the computer locks up. Also if i put the lapper to sleep, when it wakes up, The video does not reinitialize. I've been looking @ the code for natit, it is very very simple.. (the old version i have) it is nothing more than an injector to set values in the Io Tree. I'm going to dump my ioreg for titan, along w/ a non working natit, and then figure out the missing Keys. HOpefully, i can get the sleep and the external displays to work.

Please let me know if you have an ypointers

thanks

cos

I can put the display to sleep and wake it up, but sleeping the entire laptop will not wake it up. The problem isn't with the video drivers its an issue with the kernel not knowing how to do it for the CPU/Chipset. Im hoping Semthex at some point adds support for this.

Switching between internal and external video doesn't work either. I assume thats because Titan/Natit sets itself up for one or the other and when you flip it, it doesn't refresh that information. The io tree is setup and doesn't get changed and even if we changed it manually I doubt the Nvidia drivers would recheck that information and adapt to the new settings.

Well when i put it to sleep, the computer will wake up, but not the display, (because i can shutdown the laptop w/ a key combo) but no dipslay

i can't even putt eh display to sleep and have it wake up.

Can you send me an ioreg dump of your tree so i can compare values.. it might just be the gpu, i have a geforce go 7900 gs

(do the ioreg -l -w1000 > ioreg_titan_go6800.txt)

please do it in single user mode as well.. (after you boot single user mode, you mount, then run the sh /bin/etc/rc or whatever the command is

thanx

cos

Well when i put it to sleep, the computer will wake up, but not the display, (because i can shutdown the laptop w/ a key combo) but no dipslay

i can't even putt eh display to sleep and have it wake up.

Can you send me an ioreg dump of your tree so i can compare values.. it might just be the gpu, i have a geforce go 7900 gs

(do the ioreg -l -w1000 > ioreg_titan_go6800.txt)

please do it in single user mode as well.. (after you boot single user mode, you mount, then run the sh /bin/etc/rc or whatever the command is

thanx

cos

Here is the ioreg data you wanted.

Dense, you definitely seems to know a lot about all those technical details, so I thought I'd ask you what you personally use as a trackpad driver that would allow tapping and finger scrolling. I've been looking around, but couldn't find anything that worked well. Any ideas?

Syldaril.

NB: I know this is a bit off topic, I hope no one will mind!

Dense, you definitely seems to know a lot about all those technical details, so I thought I'd ask you what you personally use as a trackpad driver that would allow tapping and finger scrolling. I've been looking around, but couldn't find anything that worked well. Any ideas?

Syldaril.

NB: I know this is a bit off topic, I hope no one will mind!

Tapping you can achieve with the modified FFScroll thats on this forum. But its all a bit of a kludge and was for 10.4.4/5. There was source but I never really felt happy with it all. The latest version of it was on sourceforge but I couldn't get it to work. The most promising program was Sidetrack but I didn't spend enough time hacking around to get it to work. It looks for specific Apple hardware and we would need to fool it into finding the ALPS trackpad (however it probably would work as it was a complete driver for both ALPS and Synpatics).

Im kinda at the point that ive nuked my test OS X partition and have an extremely functional OS X setup that I don't really mess around with it anymore. I have a ghosted image of a perfect install (all drivers working correctly) that hasn't been booted for the first time (so you have to go through user setup) that I can always use it for testing. Just like to use the OS a bit rather than spend much time mucking around with it now.

All I really want now is working Sleep mode (not just for the laptop display which I have) and Speedstep. Everything else would be nice but not important to me.

I added my Device ID 0x0326 in GeForce, NVDANV30Hal, and NVDAResman for my GeForce FX 5500 128MB AGP card. I still cannot get both displays to work, only 1. I am using only Natit, not Titan, and it's Natit_Uni.

I reduced the strings to just <string>0x032610de</string> in all of the files, and no joy.

Any ideas?