Opencore ConnectDrivers settings bug ?

MacNB

8 posts in this topic

Opencore ConnectDrivers taking a long time at boot.

Why does it take so long ?

Recently fired up one of my ageing hacks (Dell Inspiron 530 Legacy BIOS) to help someone with Legacy config.

It has OC 0.8.3 DEBUG installed (with latest OpenDuet).

I remember the slow startup after the BIOS POST screen clears and before Opencore debug messages come up on the screen (about 10 seconds) so I checked the logs.

Looking at the debug log, I see:

00:427 00:002 OC: Connecting drivers...
12:735 12:307 OC: Connecting drivers done...

So it's actually taking OC over 12 seconds to connect these drivers.

Questions for the Devs: why does it take so long ? What's actually happening in these 12 seconds ?

As a test, in the config.plist I set

ConnectDrivers=FALSE

This made the overall boot time longer and the log file showed:

06:165 00:048 OC: Connecting drivers...
18:282 12:117 OC: Connecting drivers done...

It's taking over 12 seconds NOT to connect drivers.

Obviously, I lost Snow Leopard in the Boot Picker list since HfsPlusLegacy.efi driver was not connected.

I was expecting that by setting ConnectDrivers=FALSE, that would speed up the boot process by saving ~12 seconds but it makes it worse.

So, what's happening with ConnectDrivers setting ?

Edited by MacNB

14 hours ago, miliuco said:

@MacNB

I haven't seen this issue with release versions of OC 0.8.3 or 0.8.4. Maybe the debug version is slower to do this task. Try the release version to check this.

@miliuco Thanks for the suggestion.

The release version is quicker.

The delay is reduced from 12 seconds to approximately 5 seconds (between the screen clearing after POST and Boot Picker displaying Entries).

But the delay is the same wether ConnectDrivers = TRUE or FALSE.

I have two SSD's drives that OC need to scan to determine which OS to display on the Boot Picker (debug log shows 13:308 00:002 OCB: Found 19 potentially bootable filesystems).

Boot Picker eventually displays 5 bootable OS's (which is correct).

This scanning takes approximately 2 seconds (measured during Debug builds and assuming it takes the same time in Release builds ).

Thus ~3 seconds are "lost" somewhere in Connecting drivers.

Not a big issue but just a bit obscure and trying to understand why it happens.

Anyone has a fix for lost audio after Wake? I have not seen this problem since Maverick days had to use Codec Commander (I think that is what it was called) to combat the problem then, now it has reared it's ugly head again.

@MacNB

I know such a delay. Some devices, drives can be detected only by waiting a reply "I am here" and specification said that the wait time must be 30 seconds. 

For Hackintosh we reduced the wait to 3 seconds. Anyway it is here.

@eSaF

I think you posted in the wrong topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Slice said:

@MacNB

I know such a delay. Some devices, drives can be detected only by waiting a reply "I am here" and specification said that the wait time must be 30 seconds. 

For Hackintosh we reduced the wait to 3 seconds. Anyway it is here.

Ah OK that explains it. Thanks.