For Mac OS 12 - Monterey installation on HP Z800 Workstation Computer, with EFI for reference.

Feng QUan

28 posts in this topic

Hello my friend. My machine is HP Z800, configured as X5675*2 /Firepro W7000. I refer to the information of some experts in this forum, especially @mfifer's excellent work, and successfully made my own EFI file. However, the problem is that the machine cannot be shut down properly and I have to manually shut down. I tried to MAPPING USB, or directly modify DSDT, but it didn't work either. What I want to ask is, has anyone been able to solve this problem? I am attaching my own EFI file. This EFI can successfully boot Monterey. During the installation, I finished installing Monterey in my other HP Z840 and then transferred the SSD to the HP Z800 machine. Then, boot and work perfectly with this EFI.

Another known issue is that when the machine is powered on, I plug in my USB keyboard and it doesn't work. The machine doesn't even recognize this keyboard.
I hope you guys can solve this problem.

I test for several times, the  shutdown problem seems to be solved. However, the "restart" problem appears. When I restart my HP Z800, the whole computer seems lost response with a black screen .

Monterey.jpg

EFI.zip

Edited by Feng QUan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned in a related thread, that I had time to review the OC docs and I fixed my reboot-not-working issue by making this change to my config.plist in the Quirks section (change false to true):

<key>FadtEnableReset</key>
            <true/>

See if that change helps your restart challenges...

-=- mf

On 3/10/2022 at 8:33 PM, Feng QUan said:

Hello my friend. My machine is HP Z800, configured as X5675*2 /Firepro W7000. I refer to the information of some experts in this forum, especially @mfifer's excellent work, and successfully made my own EFI file. However, the problem is that the machine cannot be shut down properly and I have to manually shut down. I tried to MAPPING USB, or directly modify DSDT, but it didn't work either. What I want to ask is, has anyone been able to solve this problem? I am attaching my own EFI file. This EFI can successfully boot Monterey. During the installation, I finished installing Monterey in my other HP Z840 and then transferred the SSD to the HP Z800 machine. Then, boot and work perfectly with this EFI.

Another known issue is that when the machine is powered on, I plug in my USB keyboard and it doesn't work. The machine doesn't even recognize this keyboard.
I hope you guys can solve this problem.

I test for several times, the  shutdown problem seems to be solved. However, the "restart" problem appears. When I restart my HP Z800, the whole computer seems lost response with a black screen .

Edited by mfifer
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/1/2022 at 8:15 PM, BingoGo said:

Hello! Can you reupload EDI for z840 please?) What to try Monterey on my z840)))

Update!! 

Looks like it was my problem with downloading, so, link works now!)

We talk about HP Z800 , not HP Z840. The two machines are in different platform, so the EFI can not universal. 

1 hour ago, Feng QUan said:

We talk about HP Z800 , not HP Z840. The two machines are in different platform, so the EFI can not universal. 

Ok, Sorry. From first message on this page I thought that EFI was moved from z840

"I finished installing Monterey in my other HP Z840 and then transferred the SSD to the HP Z800 machine. Then, boot and work perfectly with this EFI"

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/13/2023 at 8:40 PM, sok5 said:

Have anyone try install Ventura on Z800?

thank you 

Yes, with no luck so far.  It's a double whammy of a Hackintosh AND a deprecated processor with an installer block.  I've just not had the time to fight the combination successfully.  One of these days I will because we are probably coming to the end of the line of X86 compatible OS releases for older hardware, so I'd like to go as far as possible.  (I'm also saving up for a Mac Studio, having read the writing on the wall...)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/31/2023 at 12:22 PM, sok5 said:

you can try my EFI, I hope it's working for you.

Hi sok5,

I'm new to Hackintosh.

My HP Z800 is:

CPU 2x Xeon x5690, RAM 88GB
Video card: AMD Radio RX580
WiFi: RTL8188EU WLAN 802.11n USB 2.0
USB3 PCIe MSI MS-4256

Which one I need to download?

For MacOs

you need to download

1. USB 16gb

2. Hard drive 250gb or more (empty one to start fresh)

3. OpenCore legacy patcher (OCL) https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases

4. OpenCore https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/releases

5. for your usb wifi https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-OC-Big-Sur-Adapter

6.Open OCL click on create macOS installer to download Ventura 13.6.1 it's easy then Sonoma

After that click on create macOS installer => use exiting macOs installer => select your USB drive, it may take from 20 to 40min depend on your drive speed.

to make your USB bootable when OCL finish,

7.  Open OpenCore 0.9.6 => Utilities =>LegacyBoot =>BootInstall_X64.tool ,it will open Terminal script and then select usb #

8. copy and past preinstall EFI folder to your new EFI drive

9. remove all the hard drive except one you want to install.

10. Bio setup to boot from UBS

11. boot your usb installer => when it boot up => Disk utility => format APFS (GUID partition) exit and instill OS

after installation finish, it'll reboot several time to complete the final operating system.

12. used step # 7 to make your hard drive bootable without USB drive.

10. copy and past post installation EFI

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

• 2 weeks later...