extermely slow monterey boot - probably 970 evo pro?

viktr

12 posts in this topic

Hi there,

Just updated to the monterey and experienced a very slow boot, like 10 minutes. Nothing special in logs, it just slow. I suspect, it's due to the samsung 970 evo plus m2 drive, but maybe there are some other reasons? have no idea where to start really. Please help.

p.s.: latest oc 074, nvmefix/no nvmefix, lilu and basic kexts. tried SetApfsTrimTimeout -1 and 0 and 1,2,3, 4294967295 - the same. Any ideas? ty!

On 10/26/2021 at 10:02 PM, viktr said:

Hi there,

Just updated to the monterey and experienced a very slow boot, like 10 minutes. Nothing special in logs, it just slow. I suspect, it's due to the samsung 970 evo plus m2 drive, but maybe there are some other reasons? have no idea where to start really. Please help.

p.s.: latest oc 074, nvmefix/no nvmefix, lilu and basic kexts. tried SetApfsTrimTimeout -1 and 0 and 1,2,3, 4294967295 - the same. Any ideas? ty!

Test with 999 and check if boot takes less time. But If it does, I do not recomment leaving it with 999 as I believe it disables trim. Second best option is: -1 but that will not fix your problem.
More info here: https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/192

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 1:30 PM, tom572 said:

After upgrading to Monterey my Hackintosh takes nearly 4 Minutes to boot - instead of around 40 secs on Big Sur. My guess it's the known TRIM problem with my Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB. Since everything else is working I'm booting the Hackintosh before I need to work and take a cup of coffee first.

Can somebody recommend a cheap and better SSD Drive.

I switched from a Samsung 970 EVO to a WD SN750: boot problem solved!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (finally watching my iCloud Drive be mirrored locally... mwahahaaa) - it was an absolute steal on the Black Friday deals at Amazon, I wish I'd done my checking before and I will be on ramen for a month, BUT I must say, it doesn't seem like a slow boot to me whatsoever. I have other problems, that I don't wish to hijack your thread with, but I bring it up to say that means  I'm still running debug version of OC and got the debug flags etc, but if there's one area I'm not unhappy about - YET - it's the perceived IO speed, boot speed, etc. And that drive is getting filed quickly! It flies easily as fast as my older 960 NVME 960 Evo did back in the days when I was running Hackintosh last, the small text that follows is OT, I have a tendency to over type so I'm trying to keep it brief (I've been using my genuine MBP as my daily driver, I got sick of not having a 2TB boot disk so my rig became a barely-used games machine, which changed a bit when a friend "lent"/gave me his graphics card, I didn't even want it as he told me it was NVIDIA, turns out he's a dummy (it's the one in my sig). 

If it helps, I booted into Windows when it was installed fresh OOB, i.e. no partition map no nothing, to run Samsung Magician and make sure it had the latest firmware etc and it did. Might be worth considering. Perhaps the drive size has something to do with it? Like maybe I'm in for a hell of a time down the road. Well, we all are. "lol"

Edited by inequals
I just can't help myself

• 1 month later...

I have the Samsung 970 Evo+ 500GB(Elpis controller - portrait box, no fw update needed) in my notebook. Both in BS and Monterey it takes about 1~1.5min to boot.

In desktop which has WD SN550 1TB+500GB(DRAM-less, slower then 970 Evo+) it takes less than a minute.

• 3 weeks later...

I am seeing the same increase in boot time, though I am using the Samsung 970 Pro 1TB. This worked perfectly under Big Sur with boot times around or less than 30 seconds. Under Monterey I am seeing boot times of about 3 minutes.

The boot process will hang, then print "kextcache -Boot -U /" then a little bit later it hits the "Ignoring kextcache invocation from early boot". People have told me this is due to a bad shutdown of the OS, but that doesn't seem to be the case as I have never had a bad shutdown, and just use the normal macOS shutdown command.

One added small bit of information, I am using BlueFixTool to restore bluetooth functionality, I am going to try a test boot with that off to see if it fixes my boot speed.

Oh one additional note, I am using a Sonnet Fusion 4x4 PCIe card, with 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB in RAID 0. This may or not add to my issue, but it is NOT used as the boot drive.

Edited by Warbands

• 2 weeks later...

Crucial, Western Digital have good reviews. 

Samsung NVMe has issues on all MacOS, the way Samsung implements TRIM is not industry standard. Plus NVMe issue two dings non-Apple standard.

perhaps a more closer to Apple standard is a consideration.

I have the old Samsung SSD non-NVMe and I have no issues on boot.  bought in 2015 down to 86% life.  

Does speed up with TRIM enabled.  

Do you think that disabling hardware TRIM, or using the "custom TRIM driver" with Cindori's "Sensei" app (although I'm not convinced that it really is a different driver, and if it IS, I would be very cautious about using a third-party I/O driver particularly for the system drive, caveat emptor guys) might be a good idea for Samsung NVMe users?