Question and Desire to Understand Stolemem and FBmem -- Inspired by last Tech Faq

makk

18 posts in this topic

After reading this post which lead to this page on link below, I'm wondering if this HP needs

Stolenmen, fbmem?

https://www.firewolf.science/2015/04/guide-intel-hd-graphics-5500-on-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3/

Which then gave me the Framebuffers I was looking for! Thank you Herve'! Love it!

https://www.firewolf.science/2015/04/framebuffer-data-extracted-from-appleintelbdwgraphicsframebuffer-binary/

Work in progress as they say, never enough work done.

I basically followed instructions based on what others have offered as 'good'.

But after reviewing the Intel HD 5500 Frambuffer, VRAM, Memory FAQ,

I am confused.  

Having first off, a Broadwell-U CPU 5200U and HD5500U Laptop series on HP Probook 450 G2

Should I have stolen memory configure?

I can set in BIOS the memory for pre allocated DVMT above the recommended 32Mb to 64 96 or even 128mb

according to the Firewolf. But what will this gain? Better graphics performance?  How much if any to little significance or a great deal more significance?

SETTINGS:

BIO:  32MB for the Pre-allocated or Dedicated Memory for VRAM?  Graphics memory

config.plist

ig-platform = 1626 as recommended by Whatevergreen page (testing 1616 with new framebuffer)

Tested with 1616 for ig-platform > working

Set the Dedicated Memory in BIOS to 128MB

Disabled stolenmem, fbmem for the time being to see what happens >> testing

with this off, I still have PNLF working. 

6 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

@Allan @makk I don't see how to reply within the topic, either.  I think the topic was created in a way that does not permit replies from mere mortals?

That's the way it is.  

It's just there to FAQ.

Good idea too!

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Ha yes, I had missed that the Technical FAQ section may not allow mere mortals to post replies; this to keep the original topics intact and free from pollution I guess. See the original thread of 2012 pinned at the top of that section:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283688-faq-start-here/

With regards to the questions raised above by the OP:

-> answers are in the FAQ topic.

-> No graphics performance to be gained, no. As stated in the FAQ topic, you may be able to obtain 4K output @60Hz if you set DVMT pre-allocated memory high enough. That's about it.

Thanks, very good.

Herve'

Looking at the WEG FAQ 

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

I found this for this graphics for Stolenmem calculations for this HD5500.

I currently have the  DVMT Pre-allocated for 32MB, the one for HD4600

What app or tool can I use, and what is the conversion?  XYZ to ZYX

ID: 16160002, STOLEN: 34 MB, FBMEM: 21 MB, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00004B02
TOTAL STOLEN: 56 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 124 MB, MAX OVERALL: 125 MB (131608576 bytes)

Thank you

1 hour ago, makk said:

Herve'

UPDATE: FOUND IT!! Thank you for that excellent FAQ!! Superb!

1 hour ago, makk said:

Looking at the WEG FAQ 

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

I found this for this graphics for Stolenmem calculations for this HD5500.

I currently have the  DVMT Pre-allocated for 32MB, the one for HD4600

What app or tool can I use, and what is the conversion?  XYZ to ZYX

ID: 16160002, STOLEN: 34 MB, FBMEM: 21 MB, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00004B02
TOTAL STOLEN: 56 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 124 MB, MAX OVERALL: 125 MB (131608576 bytes)

Thank you 

Edited by makk
UPDATE

Herve'

Apology

00000060 -> 1536MB VRAM     (framebuffer-unifiedmem)  

>> showing 1024 in Hacktool, 1536MB  About Mac and System Report

Where to get this stat in IOREG? ::: Should this setting be made 1536MB in config.plist?

D90A0000 -> Backlight freq 2777MHz   << where and how to set this?

D90A0000 -> Max. backlight freq 2777MHz << where and how to set this?

@Hervé Your FAQ is incredibly well written. Thank you.  I posted my observation (now the beginning of your FAQ) because I was experiencing com.apple.driver.AppleIntelKBLGraphics kernel panics as I stated here.  It seems from your explanation that setting framebuffer-stolenmem=19MB and framebuffer-fbmem=9MB should be universally "safe" values, yet I can reliably and predictably experience com.apple.driver.AppleIntelKBLGraphics kernel panics when my framebuffer-stolenmem and framebuffer-fbmem are constrained in this way.  The circumstances resulting in the kernel panic are a combination of streaming video in firefox and Tunnelblick OpenVPN with remote desktop.  Note that I honed in on the culprits by first increasing the values of framebuffer-stolenmem and framebuffer-fbmem to 39MB and 21MB respectively and then by eliminating them completely from my OC 0.7.3 config.plist.

Any idea why setting framebuffer-stolenmem=19MB and framebuffer-fbmem=9MB would result in com.apple.driver.AppleIntelKBLGraphics kernel panics on my Kabylake R rig (HP Envy x360 15 / HackBookPro15,2 (i5-8250U / UHD620))?

Edited by tonyx86

47 minutes ago, Hervé said:

I don't know which KBL framebuffer layout you used for your Kaby Lake R UHD620 iGPU, possibly 0x59160009 or 0x591B0000 with iGPU fake id 0x5916, the iGPU of your i5-8250U carrying native unsupported id 0x5917.

framebuffer 0x591B0000 with iGPU fake id 0x5916

suffice to say that the patched values were obviously just too small for the apps graphics requirements. I really could not say more.

Given that the above 2 x actions you took caused no issue to boot your Hack, one can conclude that your system's DVMT pre-allocated memory must be set to, at least, 64MB; certainly not 32MB.

Agreed.

As stated in the FAQ topic, the golden rule is the one to observe and it's recommended to try and identify the PC's default DVMT pre-allocated memory.

I don't have Windows installed on my rig.  I'm familiar with Firewolf's technique for determining pre-allocated DVMT in Windows.  Do you know if there is a way to view DVMT pre-allocated memory in macOS?  Note that my rig is a laptop that does not expose any DVMT configuration in BIOS.  Thank you.

Edited by tonyx86

DVMT works in this laptop with higer settings when using HDMI.

Had to lower the Stolenmen and fbmem then raise from 64 to 128.

Opencore could not get HDMI Audio. Tried  several combinations.

In Clover simplified and works perfectly.

I found Rehabman's several methods here and there for framebuffers. Finally found a simple one that works well.

Lower the Framebuffer ones a bit and raise the DVMT.  Then it works here.

So Back to Clover and it runs faster now.

Guest 5T33Z0

I think the right move would have been to use the Dortania Bug Tracker to report/address the issue and discuss is with devs and authors of the guide directly.

7 hours ago, makk said:

So Back to Clover and it runs faster now.

I'm suspicious about "runs faster now" but the fact that you have no problems with CLOVER indicates that you're fortunate to have the alternative.  Believe it or not, there were calls around this time in the CLOVER Discussion thread for Slice to abandon CLOVER and join forces with the OC team.  Not that there was ever a chance that he would ever abandon CLOVER, but think about how crazy that was!  Competition is good and the two bootloaders are a good thing.

16 hours ago, Hervé said:

I have tried to report this type of things to Dortania before so that they adjusted their documentation; 'never had any reply nor were my reports taken into consideration.

They are learning as time goes by, that no matter how much you want a PC to be a Mac, it won't happen. Thus

HACKINTOSH  

What is it based on?

Patching.

Whatever works is good

11 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

I'm suspicious about "runs faster now" but the fact that you have no problems with CLOVER indicates that you're fortunate to have the alternative.  Believe it or not, there were calls around this time in the CLOVER Discussion thread for Slice to abandon CLOVER and join forces with the OC team.  Not that there was ever a chance that he would ever abandon CLOVER, but think about how crazy that was!  Competition is good and the two bootloaders are a good thing.

Booted up faster, things move faster inside the Desktop

Why?  Not as 'Stringent'.  Perfection is not in making things too orderly in  a Hack.

Perfection is when you get XXXX to work in a Hack

With Fake ID's whatever works for your RIG.

I've used Intel Desktop settings,

Less than what this machine's specs for MacModels and well it's the options that you don't get

in the presupposed mac model recommended to you in some post.

I've used MacAir 7,2, MacBookPro 12,1, MacBookPro 15,1

each model as you know gives different options and configurations,, and other things, or not. Sometimes less than, and tradeoffs.

2 cores 4 threads.

Ran 8 core 16 threads model and you get more goodies.

Slice has much experience.  He can tell you probably everything.

• 7 months later...

how to dump the variables of this ? Debugger called: </Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/GPUDriversIntel/GPUDriversIntel-16.0.31/IONDRV/IVB/AppleIntelFramebuffer/AppleIntelController.cpp:14147 Assertion failed: (0 == i) || ((pfbInfo->rangeStolen.physBase - pfbInfoPrev->rangeStolen.physBase) == fFramebufferMemorySize)

thx