Jump to content

Question and Desire to Understand Stolemem and FBmem -- Inspired by last Tech Faq


makk
 Share

22 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

After reading this post which lead to this page on link below, I'm wondering if this HP needs

Stolenmen, fbmem?

 

https://www.firewolf.science/2015/04/guide-intel-hd-graphics-5500-on-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3/

 

Which then gave me the Framebuffers I was looking for! Thank you Herve'! Love it!

 

https://www.firewolf.science/2015/04/framebuffer-data-extracted-from-appleintelbdwgraphicsframebuffer-binary/


Work in progress as they say, never enough work done.

 

 

I basically followed instructions based on what others have offered as 'good'.

 

But after reviewing the Intel HD 5500 Frambuffer, VRAM, Memory FAQ,

 

I am confused.  

 

Having first off, a Broadwell-U CPU 5200U and HD5500U Laptop series on HP Probook 450 G2

 

Should I have stolen memory configure?

 

I can set in BIOS the memory for pre allocated DVMT above the recommended 32Mb to 64 96 or even 128mb

according to the Firewolf. But what will this gain? Better graphics performance?  How much if any to little significance or a great deal more significance?

 

SETTINGS:

BIO:  32MB for the Pre-allocated or Dedicated Memory for VRAM?  Graphics memory

 

config.plist

ig-platform = 1626 as recommended by Whatevergreen page (testing 1616 with new framebuffer)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tested with 1616 for ig-platform > working

 

Set the Dedicated Memory in BIOS to 128MB

 

Disabled stolenmem, fbmem for the time being to see what happens >> testing

with this off, I still have PNLF working. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Allan said:

@makk what about if you post the doubts that you have about this subject/topic, inside the proper topic? 😃

 

What are DVMT, Stolenmem, FBmem, Cursormem and why do we patch these?

 

Thank you

 

Hi Allan, sorry, not sure where? Can you help direct?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, sad is not good!

 

just trying out some infos not to worry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha yes, I had missed that the Technical FAQ section may not allow mere mortals to post replies; this to keep the original topics intact and free from pollution I guess. See the original thread of 2012 pinned at the top of that section:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283688-faq-start-here/

 

With regards to the questions raised above by the OP:

On 10/3/2021 at 2:06 AM, makk said:

[...]

After reading this post which lead to this page on link below, I'm wondering if this HP needsStolenmen, fbmem?

[...]

Should I have stolen memory configure?

[...]

-> answers are in the FAQ topic.

 

On 10/3/2021 at 2:06 AM, makk said:

[...]

I can set in BIOS the memory for pre allocated DVMT above the recommended 32Mb to 64 96 or even 128mb according to the Firewolf. But what will this gain? Better graphics performance?  How much if any to little significance or a great deal more significance?

[...]

-> No graphics performance to be gained, no. As stated in the FAQ topic, you may be able to obtain 4K output @60Hz if you set DVMT pre-allocated memory high enough. That's about it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

@Allan @makk I don't see how to reply within the topic, either.  I think the topic was created in a way that does not permit replies from mere mortals?

 

That's the way it is.  

It's just there to FAQ.

Good idea too!

 

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Ha yes, I had missed that the Technical FAQ section may not allow mere mortals to post replies; this to keep the original topics intact and free from pollution I guess. See the original thread of 2012 pinned at the top of that section:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283688-faq-start-here/

 

With regards to the questions raised above by the OP:

-> answers are in the FAQ topic.

 

-> No graphics performance to be gained, no. As stated in the FAQ topic, you may be able to obtain 4K output @60Hz if you set DVMT pre-allocated memory high enough. That's about it.

 

 

Thanks, very good.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Herve'

 

Looking at the WEG FAQ 

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

 

I found this for this graphics for Stolenmem calculations for this HD5500.


I currently have the  DVMT Pre-allocated for 32MB, the one for HD4600

What app or tool can I use, and what is the conversion?  XYZ to ZYX

 

ID: 16160002, STOLEN: 34 MB, FBMEM: 21 MB, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00004B02
TOTAL STOLEN: 56 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 124 MB, MAX OVERALL: 125 MB (131608576 bytes)
 

Thank you

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, makk said:

Herve'

 

UPDATE: FOUND IT!! Thank you for that excellent FAQ!! Superb!

 

1 hour ago, makk said:

Looking at the WEG FAQ 

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

 

I found this for this graphics for Stolenmem calculations for this HD5500.


I currently have the  DVMT Pre-allocated for 32MB, the one for HD4600

What app or tool can I use, and what is the conversion?  XYZ to ZYX

 

ID: 16160002, STOLEN: 34 MB, FBMEM: 21 MB, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00004B02
TOTAL STOLEN: 56 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 124 MB, MAX OVERALL: 125 MB (131608576 bytes)
 

Thank you 

 

 

Edited by makk
UPDATE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Herve'

 

Apology

 

00000060 -> 1536MB VRAM     (framebuffer-unifiedmem)  

      >> showing 1024 in Hacktool, 1536MB  About Mac and System Report

                               Where to get this stat in IOREG? ::: Should this setting be made 1536MB in config.plist?

 

D90A0000 -> Backlight freq 2777MHz   << where and how to set this?

 

D90A0000 -> Max. backlight freq 2777MHz << where and how to set this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With regards to NVRAM, either you incorrectly used Hackintool or you looked at the wrong stuff or the tool is wrong but it sure shows the correct active VRAM allocation on my Hacks. Example:

VRAM_reporting.jpg

 

Default VRAM settings for your selected BDW framebuffer layout 0x16060002 is 1536MB, as correctly reflected in About This Mac and SysInfo. I trust you can conclude by yourself what is right and what is wrong... You should also understand that, in IOReg, VRAM size is shown under the stated property against your iGPU device @2 only if you injected the property, it's not listed by default. And, obviously, one does not need to configure device properties that inject the same values as those natively defined by the OS or in hardware (eg: VRAM allocation, device ids).

 

With regards to backlight frequencies, one does not usually touches that and WhatverGreen does not provide for this, neither (you've got the manual). You'd have to go back to basics and apply a binary patch to the framebuffer kext if you wanted to modify those values, i.e. a Find/Replace binmod.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Hervé Your FAQ is incredibly well written. Thank you.  I posted my observation (now the beginning of your FAQ) because I was experiencing com.apple.driver.AppleIntelKBLGraphics kernel panics as I stated here.  It seems from your explanation that setting framebuffer-stolenmem=19MB and framebuffer-fbmem=9MB should be universally "safe" values, yet I can reliably and predictably experience com.apple.driver.AppleIntelKBLGraphics kernel panics when my framebuffer-stolenmem and framebuffer-fbmem are constrained in this way.  The circumstances resulting in the kernel panic are a combination of streaming video in firefox and Tunnelblick OpenVPN with remote desktop.  Note that I honed in on the culprits by first increasing the values of framebuffer-stolenmem and framebuffer-fbmem to 39MB and 21MB respectively and then by eliminating them completely from my OC 0.7.3 config.plist.

 

Any idea why setting framebuffer-stolenmem=19MB and framebuffer-fbmem=9MB would result in com.apple.driver.AppleIntelKBLGraphics kernel panics on my Kabylake R rig (HP Envy x360 15 / HackBookPro15,2 (i5-8250U / UHD620))?

 

Edited by tonyx86
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know which KBL framebuffer layout you used for your Kaby Lake R UHD620 iGPU, possibly 0x59160009 or 0x591B0000 with iGPU fake id 0x5916, the iGPU of your i5-8250U carrying native unsupported id 0x5917.

ID: 59160009, STOLEN: 38 MB, FBMEM: 0 bytes, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00830B0A
TOTAL STOLEN: 39 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 115 MB, MAX OVERALL: 116 MB (122171392 bytes)
Model name: Intel HD Graphics KBL CRB
Camellia: CamelliaV3 (3), Freq: 1388 Hz, FreqMax: 1388 Hz
Mobile: 1, PipeCount: 3, PortCount: 3, FBMemoryCount: 3
[0] busId: 0x00, pipe: 8, type: 0x00000002, flags: 0x00000098 - ConnectorLVDS
[1] busId: 0x05, pipe: 9, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000001C7 - ConnectorDP
[2] busId: 0x04, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000001C7 - ConnectorDP
00000800 02000000 98000000
01050900 00040000 C7010000
02040A00 00040000 C7010000
ID: 591B0000, STOLEN: 38 MB, FBMEM: 21 MB, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x0000130B
TOTAL STOLEN: 39 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 136 MB, MAX OVERALL: 137 MB (144191488 bytes)
Model name: Intel HD Graphics KBL CRB
Camellia: CamelliaDisabled (0), Freq: 1388 Hz, FreqMax: 1388 Hz
Mobile: 1, PipeCount: 3, PortCount: 3, FBMemoryCount: 3
[0] busId: 0x00, pipe: 8, type: 0x00000002, flags: 0x00000098 - ConnectorLVDS
[2] busId: 0x04, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000800, flags: 0x00000187 - ConnectorHDMI
[3] busId: 0x06, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x00000187 - ConnectorDP
00000800 02000000 98000000
02040A00 00080000 87010000
03060A00 00040000 87010000

These framebuffer layouts define a framebuffer size of 38MB and a null cursor size for the former and 38MB / 21MB respectively for the latter so the platforms these were meant for had DVMT pre-allocated memory of at least 64MB.

 

I cannot say exactly why you experienced those KBL FB-related KPs when streaming videos in Firefox or use Remote Desktop over Tunnelblick OpenVPN. However, given that you stated that the problem disappeared after you:

  1. increased framebuffer size to 39MB + cursor bytes to 21MB
  2. eliminated the above patches altogether

suffice to say that the patched values were obviously just too small for the apps graphics requirements. I really could not say more.

 

Given that the above 2 x actions you took caused no issue to boot your Hack, one can conclude that your system's DVMT pre-allocated memory must be set to, at least, 64MB; certainly not 32MB.

 

As stated in the FAQ topic, the golden rule is the one to observe and it's recommended to try and identify the PC's default DVMT pre-allocated memory. Looking at some of those stated framebuffer layouts, we see that framebuffer size + curse size often total > 32MB so the Apple platforms to which those applied clearly were set with DVMT pre-allocated memory of at least 64MB. Reducing those framebuffer parameters to suit Hackintosh platforms is a trick that was never meant to be done. The troubles you experienced illustrate potential side effects of such tricks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Hervé said:

I don't know which KBL framebuffer layout you used for your Kaby Lake R UHD620 iGPU, possibly 0x59160009 or 0x591B0000 with iGPU fake id 0x5916, the iGPU of your i5-8250U carrying native unsupported id 0x5917.

 

framebuffer 0x591B0000 with iGPU fake id 0x5916

 

47 minutes ago, Hervé said:

suffice to say that the patched values were obviously just too small for the apps graphics requirements. I really could not say more.

 

Given that the above 2 x actions you took caused no issue to boot your Hack, one can conclude that your system's DVMT pre-allocated memory must be set to, at least, 64MB; certainly not 32MB.

 

Agreed.

 

 

47 minutes ago, Hervé said:

As stated in the FAQ topic, the golden rule is the one to observe and it's recommended to try and identify the PC's default DVMT pre-allocated memory.

 

I don't have Windows installed on my rig.  I'm familiar with Firewolf's technique for determining pre-allocated DVMT in Windows.  Do you know if there is a way to view DVMT pre-allocated memory in macOS?  Note that my rig is a laptop that does not expose any DVMT configuration in BIOS.  Thank you.

Edited by tonyx86
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DVMT works in this laptop with higer settings when using HDMI.

 

Had to lower the Stolenmen and fbmem then raise from 64 to 128.

 

Opencore could not get HDMI Audio. Tried  several combinations.

 

In Clover simplified and works perfectly.

 

I found Rehabman's several methods here and there for framebuffers. Finally found a simple one that works well.

 

Lower the Framebuffer ones a bit and raise the DVMT.  Then it works here.

 

So Back to Clover and it runs faster now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have tried to report this type of things to Dortania before so that they adjusted their documentation; 'never had any reply nor were my reports taken into consideration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, makk said:

So Back to Clover and it runs faster now.

 

I'm suspicious about "runs faster now" but the fact that you have no problems with CLOVER indicates that you're fortunate to have the alternative.  Believe it or not, there were calls around this time in the CLOVER Discussion thread for Slice to abandon CLOVER and join forces with the OC team.  Not that there was ever a chance that he would ever abandon CLOVER, but think about how crazy that was!  Competition is good and the two bootloaders are a good thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Hervé said:

I have tried to report this type of things to Dortania before so that they adjusted their documentation; 'never had any reply nor were my reports taken into consideration.

 

They are learning as time goes by, that no matter how much you want a PC to be a Mac, it won't happen. Thus

 

HACKINTOSH  

 

What is it based on?

 

Patching.

 

Whatever works is good

11 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

 

I'm suspicious about "runs faster now" but the fact that you have no problems with CLOVER indicates that you're fortunate to have the alternative.  Believe it or not, there were calls around this time in the CLOVER Discussion thread for Slice to abandon CLOVER and join forces with the OC team.  Not that there was ever a chance that he would ever abandon CLOVER, but think about how crazy that was!  Competition is good and the two bootloaders are a good thing.

 

Booted up faster, things move faster inside the Desktop

 

Why?  Not as 'Stringent'.  Perfection is not in making things too orderly in  a Hack.

 

Perfection is when you get XXXX to work in a Hack

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Fake ID's whatever works for your RIG.

 

I've used Intel Desktop settings,

Less than what this machine's specs for MacModels and well it's the options that you don't get

in the presupposed mac model recommended to you in some post.

 

I've used MacAir 7,2, MacBookPro 12,1, MacBookPro 15,1

 

each model as you know gives different options and configurations,, and other things, or not. Sometimes less than, and tradeoffs.

 

2 cores 4 threads.

 

Ran 8 core 16 threads model and you get more goodies.

 

Slice has much experience.  He can tell you probably everything.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...