HP Z800 - Anyone working on this with current (0.7) OpenCore versions?

mfifer

18 posts in this topic

Wondering if anyone is trying their HP Z800 with the latest OpenCore versions and Big Sur?

I searched the forums but only find references to some older work (and potentially around Clover not OpenCore).

Similarly, there is an EFI for HP Z600 but it's for a MUCH older version of OpenCore.

I'm getting nowhere fast but would be glad to share notes 😉

Open Core Install Guide
This is your starting point Don't look around trust your own self just do it
Read carefully each of the part
Open Core Sanity Checker

Big Sur from USB installer no go because apple drop support for ICH10 
But there is another way how to get Big Sur on unsupported hack and this is called
Emulated NVRAM
Another guide which will help you how to do that

important thing is proper configure open core bootloader which can install macOS Catalina on your HP Z800
Edited by Rocky12

Thanks Rocky!  I'm very familiar with the Dortania guide (as well as the OpenGeek checker though that appears to have stopped being updated several revisions of OpenCore ago).  I've been bit by the "EXITBS" issue, despite painstaking process-of-elimination troubleshooting. (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/troubleshooting/extended/kernel-issues.html#stuck-on-eb-log-exitbs-start

I'll re-read the Emulated NVRAM link -- I skimmed it but didn't connect it to the process mentally.

I'm going to take your advice and try Catalina instead of big Sur as a starting point.

Appreciate your feedback greatly!!!

• Like 1

So okay there are three different option for Bios Based machine
NR = 1 VMware method on any working macOS, you need separate HDD or SSD for it
NR= 2 macOS Image Restore Method
NR= 3 Emulated NVRAM can help you to upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur
Nobody is perfect until you put your hands on
If no one did that before, you could be the one
wish you all the best
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:55 PM, mfifer said:

Wondering if anyone is trying their HP Z800 with the latest OpenCore versions and Big Sur?

I searched the forums but only find references to some older work (and potentially around Clover not OpenCore).

Similarly, there is an EFI for HP Z600 but it's for a MUCH older version of OpenCore.

I'm getting nowhere fast but would be glad to share notes 😉

Look here: 

https://github.com/topics/hackintosh?o=desc&s=updated

https://github.com/topics/opencore-efi

for updates to published efi's

Otherwise the principle is the same.  Start with a minimum of drivers and kexts and applicable ACPI .aml(s) for your config that follows a current guide for your hardware.  If you make changes do so one at a time.  csr-active-config 67080000.  Recent version(s) of Open Core may not inject some kexts with functionality while there can be no problem with the same kexts and booting with recent version(s) of Clover.

per your message here are some notes to share including how to avoid disturbing a working bootloder:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/346639-updated-tips-and-observations-for-big-sur-and-monterey-b2/

Edited by HenryV
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd like to reply to you in the real thread but the inane policies prevent me from doing so.  I've spent the holidays bringing up the 0.6 config to 0.7.6 apparently like you did, so I tried your EFI and I still crash out with yours the same place I do mine.

If IM ever lets me out of n00b jail, I'll post one of my working EFIs so we can compare notes.  I'm really curious how you're getting installed and running, while I crash out in the second phase of the install process whether I'm using BigSur or Monterey or my config or yours... 

• Like 1

Using your (Rocky12's) EFI folder, I've created a bootable USB following the legacy process (using LegacyBoot/BootInstall_X64.tool to install the Duet package enabling legacy boot) and with Catalina installed on the USB with the "createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyUSBVolume" and yet curiously I now kernel panic early into boot (right after OC handoff) with a AE_ALREADY_EXISTS error that I don't recall seeing while attempting building OpenCore installers for Big Sur or Monterey 

My end game is Monterey, but baby steps...  Definitely fine with Catalina on OpenCore as a starting point...

Happy to report success -- used that EFI as a base and made a couple of changes to things.  

First, I had to run FIX-HPET to resolve the "AE_ALREADY_EXISTS" error and swap in the resulting AML.  

Second, had to add the USB keyboard/mouse fix from the OpenCore docs.  

Other than that, it was install OpenCore 0.7.6 with the LegacyBoot tool, create a Monterey installer with the createinstallmedia tool, and do the install and 400 hundred reboots. 😉

about.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 7:56 AM, mfifer said:

Happy to report success -- used that EFI as a base and made a couple of changes to things.  

First, I had to run FIX-HPET to resolve the "AE_ALREADY_EXISTS" error and swap in the resulting AML.  

Second, had to add the USB keyboard/mouse fix from the OpenCore docs.  

Other than that, it was install OpenCore 0.7.6 with the LegacyBoot tool, create a Monterey installer with the createinstallmedia tool, and do the install and 400 hundred reboots. 😉

about.jpg

Can you please share your EFI as sample 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely! Apologies for the delay - I didn't see the notification.  

(NOTE:  I've run into an issue where my system won't fully restart.  At shutdown, reboot, it does the OS shutdown but the hardware doesn't respond and I have to press the power button to physically effect the reboot or shutdown.  I don't remember when it started but I've been too busy to chase the issue down since the workaround is tolerable. For now. 😉)

This folder is using OpenCore 0.7.8

Key kexts:

Lilu 1.5.9

VirtualSMC 1.2.8

WhateverGreen 1.5.7

Please look carefully at config.plist -- not all of the included KEXTs are active.

Audio does not work reliably without CodecCommander which I really don't think should be necessary.

I'm on macOS 12.2.1

My system is a Z800:  

2 x X5950 Xeon

96GB RAM

Radeon RX580

2TB SSD on PCIe 6Gbps SATA card

Add-in Wifi card (Fenvi T919)

Add-in USB 3.0 card (Inateck KT4006 2-port)

Hope this helps!

EFI.zip

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/21/2022 at 10:30 PM, mfifer said:

Absolutely! Apologies for the delay - I didn't see the notification.  

(NOTE:  I've run into an issue where my system won't fully restart.  At shutdown, reboot, it does the OS shutdown but the hardware doesn't respond and I have to press the power button to physically effect the reboot or shutdown.  I don't remember when it started but I've been too busy to chase the issue down since the workaround is tolerable. For now. 😉)

This folder is using OpenCore 0.7.8

Key kexts:

Lilu 1.5.9

VirtualSMC 1.2.8

WhateverGreen 1.5.7

Please look carefully at config.plist -- not all of the included KEXTs are active.

Audio does not work reliably without CodecCommander which I really don't think should be necessary.

I'm on macOS 12.2.1

My system is a Z800:  

2 x X5950 Xeon

96GB RAM

Radeon RX580

2TB SSD on PCIe 6Gbps SATA card

Add-in Wifi card (Fenvi T919)

Add-in USB 3.0 card (Inateck KT4006 2-port)

Hope this helps!

EFI.zip 6.29 MB · 14 downloads

Thanks For the EFI & Info

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello I wondered if you can help me please.

I also have a HP Z800 and am trying to follow an up to date guide with a working EFI for this type of machine, but no matter what I do my Open Core USB will not boot. It shows in the boot menu and when I try to click on it, it just skips to the hard drive boot. (I currently have a clover install of Sierra on my HD).

I can't figure out at all why the installer will not boot. I've followed guides and put Monterey on the USB using Balena Etcher software, and copied over the EFI, changed serial number, checked with OC Auxiliary Tools and all looks ok.

Any help at all would be great.

Thank you.