I run 10.4.8 on my T60, but...

watons

73 posts in this topic

New poster here, so please forgive any questions with embarrassingly obvious answers.

I've got a Dell e1505/6400 with the Radeon Mobility 1300. I'm running the Jas 10.4.7 and just did the 10.4.8 combo update so I understand that I'm still running the old kernel. I'm looking to get CI/QE with the method here and am looking for some guidance as I haven't been able to pull it off yet (again, probably something so obvious I'll have to create a new account after this).

Part of what I'm wondering is if the fix here works on the old kernel. If not, please let me know and I'll be on my way to the update (however, I seem to have read that the new Jas 10.4.8 disables the internal screen on this laptop - please correct if this is wrong)

Another part of what I'm wondering here is if this should work for the 1300. As I understand it, the 1300 is just a chopped down version of the 1400 on the same chipset (makes sense that it would work to me if this was the case, but again I could be totally off).

The device ID for my card is 0x7149. I've tried to enter this into the ATIx1000 kext as <string>0x71491002</string> and <string>0x7149</string> as well. Tried to run the rm commands listed here in the first page's instructions, but was prompted for permissions and then denied somehow? (That is another possible culprit.) I also have repaired my disk permissions after each edit to this file.

Any ideas here? Also, where can I find ATIinject.kext? Does it only come with the newest Jas release or can I find it somewhere on its own? (simple yes/no answers work on the last part so I don't violate any forum rules).

Thanks and I love the system so far (about 2 days of use).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys, I have a Asus laptop with Ati X1450 video card, it should be the same as X1400.

I can't force the resolution to the LCD's native resolution as 1280x800x32 by modify the boot.plist like this:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32@85</string>

Adding these two lines into the boot.plist will only make the system hangs during booting.

I just confirded that the problem is caused by the "@85" in the line"<string>1280x800x32@85</string>", remove "@85" the system can boot normally.

Still have the 1024x768 resolution with the screen stretched.

Edited by neosnake kong

i just got my 1505 to work on the internal lcd!!!

i followed SKUD's instructions, except for a few changes....

1. do a clean install of 10.4.8 (latest JaS re-seed, of course) login window and usb fix NOT selected, usb sound WAS selected

2. did my install WITHOUT ANY boot flags, like cpus=1 or fsb=166, this took a lot longer

3. made copies of the following .plists on the desktop and these are the ones that will be edited with the text editor

4. i edited the boot.plist and set my res to 1400x1050x32 and set my boot flags, dragged it to the original location, authenticated, replaced..

5. i edited the ATIRadeonX1000.kext (info.plist, which is seen after you "show package contents") the device ID's are easy to spot, look for 0x71461002 or something, change the "6" to a "5" and delete the other ID's, so that 0x71451002 is the only one...drag to original location, authenticate, replaced

6. delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

7. go to disk utility and repair permissions

8. reboot

i was overly joyed when i booted for the first time....it actually booted to the desktop...this is the first time for me that i have done this with the internal lcd on the new kernel

i get very minor mouse tearing/artifacts, but worth it

87 on xbench 1.3

also like to add that i have no res change, other than editing the plist

I just installed 10.4.8 on my T60 with the x1400 and BIOS revision 2.03.

After two days of trying, I finally got my x1400 to work with acceleration ON THE INTERNAL LCD and not JUST the external display.

I had to do the following:

** Your milage may vary. This worked for ME, but that doesn't mean it will work for you!! **

1) Force the resolution to the LCD's native resolution (1400x1050x32 for my panel) in the boot.plist

2) Reboot and make sure it works on your INTERNAL LCD. You won't have acceleration, but your resolution should be fine now instead of 1024x768.

3) Edit the ATIRadeonX1000.kext to include your Device ID from the (mine was 7145).

4) rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

5) rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

6) diskutil repairPermissions /

7) reboot and enjoy..

Riley

Edited by arsenalsam7

• 2 weeks later...
I think the resolution can allways be set to whatever the monitor can display. Just the resolution size during operation can't be set without a working kext file for the graphic card...

Nope. My monitor can display 1680x1050 and it sticks me with 1400x1050 even when I put 1680x1050 in the boot.plist.

I can't believe there isn't a good working kext for this yet!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I've tried the procedure here that skud pointed out but have no luck yet.

Under System Profiler -> Graphics it gives me three ID's

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x27a2

Revision ID: 0x0003

With the procedure in this thread I have tried putting these into ATIRadeonX1000.kext (Info.plist):

0x27a21002

0x27a20003

I wasn't sure what the last 4 digits were supposed to be (2 nulls?) but I have yet to be successful.

I have also tried various values in Boot.plist: 1440x900 (the resolution I used in windows) and 1400x1024 (the resolution most people are using in this forum)

So far no success with any combinations. Anyone want to give it a try?

Dell E1705, Radeon X1400

~nordicskiah

I found a way to fix the screen stretching on the Atix1400 on Dell Laptop's.. it runs at 1400 x 1050 res in 4:3 mode so theres black bars on the sides but hey it's not stretched so its ok til the smart folks find a solution to the res prob :withstupid:. ANYWAYS on to my solution...

Load up the bios when u boot up the Laptop and in the menu go down to Video, then go to lcd expansion and shut it off. and thats it -_-, it will stop stretching all the images to fit the screen now. your res on windows will be the same but if you used a lower res the the max in windows it will be smaller. I use 1680 x 1050 as my res in windows so it fills the whole screen.

• 3 weeks later...
:unsure:

To get QE/CI working, you need to change the device id list inside ATIRadeonX1000.kext:

ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x71c01002 0x41441002 0x4E481002</string>

add YOUR deviceid (get it from System Profiler / Graphics):

<string>0x71451002</string>.

This would get you the QE/CI support, but also the mouse tearing.

then go to the Terminal..

sudo -s
*your password*
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

reboot ...ENJOY!

I did this and I have a "You need to restart your computer. Hold down..."

What can I do?

I just installed 10.4.8 on my T60 with the x1400 and BIOS revision 2.03.

After two days of trying, I finally got my x1400 to work with acceleration ON THE INTERNAL LCD and not JUST the external display.

I had to do the following:

** Your milage may vary. This worked for ME, but that doesn't mean it will work for you!! **

1) Force the resolution to the LCD's native resolution (1400x1050x32 for my panel) in the boot.plist

2) Reboot and make sure it works on your INTERNAL LCD. You won't have acceleration, but your resolution should be fine now instead of 1024x768.

3) Edit the ATIRadeonX1000.kext to include your Device ID from the (mine was 7145).

4) rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

5) rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

6) diskutil repairPermissions /

7) reboot and enjoy..

Riley

I did this and I have a "You need to restart your computer. Hold down..."

I did this also;

sudo -s

*your password*

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

What can I do to get my mac back?

When I only do this;

ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x71c01002 0x41441002 0x4E481002</string>

add YOUR deviceid (get it from System Profiler / Graphics):

<string>0x71451002</string>

and I reboot I've got the grey screen with "Hold down ....Please restart..."

What to do? I always reinstall and I try something different but it's the changing to 7145 that {censored}ed up everything :'(

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is great you guys. Alright so I have an ATIx1400 in an acer... Got my QE/CI and resolution change down with a little mouse tear but I am happy.

Now onto the next hurdle... getting dual monitor from DVI or S-video out so i can use a projector. when my VGA is hooked up It only displays on second monitor and my DVI and S-video are dead it seems.

Thanks so much

How did you change you res? Just by adding the all-known two line (Graphics Mode + Res)?

I'm stuck at 1024x768 which is quite annoying...

edit: Works like a charm on my external display. At least that works at 1280x1024.

Does anybody know if you just can't set the 1280x800 res?

Is it possible to change it to 1280x720 (which is 720p) and turn off the stretching, so it just displays small crops at bottom/top?

I just don't want to wreck my instsllation already by setting a wrong res :thumbsup_anim:

Sayuuk

Hi, everybody!

Has anybody tried to set up 1680x1050x32 resolution with Inspiron 6400, ATI Mob.Radeon x1400?

Please post your results.

I was trying to this, though after the resolution is set up as 1680x1050 in the boot.plist, the computer starts with 1400x1050. Is there any solution to fix this?

Has anybody tried to set up 1680x1050x32 resolution with Inspiron 6400, ATI Mob.Radeon x1400?

I was trying to this, though after the resolution is set up as 1680x1050 in the boot.plist, the computer starts with 1400x1050. Is there any solution to fix this?

Hi.

No there is no solution to this problem. Until Now only the X1600 cards are reported to work in this resolution.

The X1400 uses different drivers than the X1600 and until now, it seems the driver for the X1400 has no support for internal LVD displays and therefore only supports well known VESA mode resolutions for CRT displays.

Hi.

No there is no solution to this problem. Until Now only the X1600 cards are reported to work in this resolution.

The X1400 uses different drivers than the X1600 and until now, it seems the driver for the X1400 has no support for internal LVD displays and therefore only supports well known VESA mode resolutions for CRT displays.

That's the only reason why I removed OSX again. I mean... only the sound (Sigmatel 9200, every solution with Semthex 8.8.1 gives me kernel panics) and the graphic isn't working. I've got an external USB soundcard that seems to work just fine, so the sound isn't the real problem, but as long I have to work with a res of just 1024x768 that's {censored}. I mean, I wanna use OSX not only when I'm at home in range of my externel TFT^^

Btw, I've got many artifacts when enabling my CI/QE via ATI1000.kext

for example when I have my mouse pointer in the middle of Safari scrolling down a website, it, like, has a white trail, so the text isn't even readable anymore...

greetz anyway. As soon as the X14000 works they way it should, I'll be back to OSX as fast as I can :P

Stefan

• 1 month later...

Hmmm having some Problems here with your Mileage. I'm running a T60 with a x1400 Mobility. The Display Hack worked perfect with me. (The one in the boot.plist) But somehow I can't get CI and CE working. In Profiler I only get: Core Image: Not Supported Quartz Extreme: Not Supported But I tweaked the kext with my device ID, which, wonder oh wonder is the same as yours: 0x7145