Audio not working in 11.3

Vyzantion

8 posts in this topic

I hope this does not count as double posting, I tough a distinct topic for this issue was necessary. I quote what I have already wrote in the topic dedicated to 11.3 :

”Re-installed Big Sur, it was version 11.2.3, I have installed version 11.3 . I have kept the old installation of Clover 5133 (latest) in the EFI. For sound, I have used Voodoo HDA Audio, packaged by chris1111 (version 2.9.6, I know 2.9.7 exists, but chris1111 has not packaged it for Clover yet).  This type of updating by (almost) clean install worked before. Now, sound is gone. Voodoo HDA Audio stopped working, no audio hardware is shown in System Preferences. On 11.2.3 it was working. I have tried several combinations, like re-installing Voodoo HDA Audio, deleting it and then re-installing it, tried AppleALC, I have re-installed the OS the second time, nothing worked. I have attached the EFI partition. ”

Hardware

Acer Veriton x2611g

Intel i3 2120

4 gb ram, ddr3

EFI1.zip

9 hours ago, Vyzantion said:

I hope this does not count as double posting, I tough a distinct topic for this issue was necessary. I quote what I have already wrote in the topic dedicated to 11.3 :

”Re-installed Big Sur, it was version 11.2.3, I have installed version 11.3 . I have kept the old installation of Clover 5133 (latest) in the EFI. For sound, I have used Voodoo HDA Audio, packaged by chris1111 (version 2.9.6, I know 2.9.7 exists, but chris1111 has not packaged it for Clover yet).  This type of updating by (almost) clean install worked before. Now, sound is gone. Voodoo HDA Audio stopped working, no audio hardware is shown in System Preferences. On 11.2.3 it was working. I have tried several combinations, like re-installing Voodoo HDA Audio, deleting it and then re-installing it, tried AppleALC, I have re-installed the OS the second time, nothing worked. I have attached the EFI partition. ”

Hardware

Acer Veriton x2611g

Intel i3 2120

4 gb ram, ddr3

EFI1.zip 3.15 MB · 0 downloads

Should you elect to convert to Open Core the following excerpted information may help you:

Suggest you use AppleALC and modify the config.plist to show the layout-id for your audio.  Don't use the kernel switch.

VoodooHDA may have maximum sound output less than AppleALC.

Configuring your Audio Device

Audio devices are much simpler to configure than they used to be thanks to the development of AppleALC. AppleALC is a kernel extension that provides native Apple audio capabilities. To use it, the first thing you will need to know is what audio codec your laptop uses. If you don't already know, or if you're unsure, you can use a Linux live USB to do a codec dump. A codec dump provides a treasure trove of information about your device and the paths it uses to connect things like internal amplifiers to speakers or headphones.

Creating a Codec Dump

If you do need a codec dump for whatever reason, boot from your Linux live USB and find the nearest terminal or command line. The following command will display the details of your codec on screen with a pause so you can read it.

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | less

The first line should provide your codec. It will look something like this:

Codec: Realtek ALC294

If you would like to save the codec to a file so you can reference it again when you're back in macOS, cat it to a file instead and save the file to the boot partition of the USB drive, on another USB drive, or somewhere on your network.

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > /mnt/MyOtherUSBDrive/codec.txt

Now that you're familiar with your codec, let's install AppleALC.

AppleALC Prerequisites

If you're dual booting with Windows or Linux, you should enable the Devices/Audio/ResetHDA property which will reset the audio device on startup to flush any configuration .

Installing AppleALC

Installing AppleALC is simple. You just need to download the AppleALC kext from the project's release page and add the kext to OC/K. You can find it here. You may have it already if you installed it when making the USB. If you do add it, make sure to edit your config.plist

Download AppleALC @ Github

Your new AppleALC kext path should look like it does in the tree below.

EFI
└── OC
    └── Kexts
        └── AppleALC.kext

Before rebooting, let's configure it!

Configuring AppleALC

This is where things can get a little tricky, as just about every implementation of the same codec is different. Knowing your codec makes things somewhat easier as you can look it up in the AppleALC WIKI and find all of the layouts that could work with it.

AppleALC Supported Codecs

If you don't find your codec listed, you might find that it's just a rebranded version of another so it wouldn't hurt to search for "AppleALC {your codec}".

Once you have a list of layouts, but you don't know which is the right one you can test them one by one. Just configure the layout id in config.plist with your favorite plist editor and reboot. If audio works, congratulations! Otherwise, repeat until you've found it.

Open up your plist editor and the config.plist, then browse to DeviceProperties/Add and your layout-id.

None of the Layout IDs Worked!

Well, you still have some options although none of them will be fun. The first option would be to take that codec dump that we made earlier and build a new layout for your device, or you could try using VoodooHDA instead.

AppleALC: Adding Codec Support

Using VoodooHDA

VoodooHDA is an alternative to AppleALC, and it works pretty well but rather than adding native support, VoodooHDA provides its own audio solution. Installing it is pretty straightforward. Simply download the kext, preference pane, and settings loader and add them to your system.

The kext goes in C/k/O, if you have AppleALC installed you'll want to remove it. Open (execute) the preferences pane and it should prompt you to install, if it doesn't drag it onto System Preferences and it'll install that way. The settings loader should be installed to Applications, and you should run it once to enable it. They can be downloaded here.

Download VoodooHDA @ SourceForge

As with AppleALC, it should follow the same pattern in the tree.

EFI
└── OC
    └── Kexts
        └── VoodooHDA.kext

I would to avoid OpenCore, regardless of its avantages, due to my attention deficit disorder, I find hard to install and handle. This is why I stick to Clover, it already a GUI that has been improved in years. Yet, my machine has the sound stopped working, on 11.2.3 it was working. No audio device listed.

I find your System Hardware Specifications corresponding to the listed Model Acer Veriton x2611g to have H61 Express Chipset with LGA 1155 socket similar to my self built desktop with GA-H61M-HD2 MoBo with i3 -3245 Intel HD 4000 (but I use a PCIE Nvidia GT710 Graphics). I have been running Multi-disk multi-boot with macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 , Windows 10 x64 Pro and Ubuntu 21.04 using Clover 5132. I use AppleALC.kext (March 1, 2021) with no sound issues. . I am about to upgrade that to Big Sur 11.3 and plan to use the same CLOVER 5132 and same EFI Folder . I have already made a clone of the current Big Sur 11.2.3 as an insurance against any upgrade mishaps. I have several systems with Intel 6, 7, 8, 9 10, 20 100, 200 and 300 series all using Clover as the boot loader  for Bigger with Windows and Linux running from their own separate SSDs. The only system I have not been able to upgrade beyond macOs Mojave14.6 a desktop with Intel DH67-BL ( an odd board that won't allow a USB formatted in Disk Utility of Mac/Hacks and requires Terminal diskutil command.
I find your drivers 64UEFI and kexts/Other folders bloated with all sorts of files some of which themselves could cause conflicts. Let me finish the upgrade and see if I get similar issues and will try to help you. 

4 hours ago, Vyzantion said:

I would to avoid OpenCore, regardless of its avantages, due to my attention deficit disorder, I find hard to install and handle. This is why I stick to Clover, it already a GUI that has been improved in years. Yet, my machine has the sound stopped working, on 11.2.3 it was working. No audio device listed.

I upgraded my macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 to 11.3 on the Desktop with  GA-H61M-HD2 MoBo and  i3 -3245 cpu . I had sound but there was crackling both during the test in System Preferences> Sound as well as listening to audio from the Internet through YouTube, I then changed the kext replacing AppleAlc.kext with VooddooHda.kext  from Source forge. At this lost all sounds, System Report >Audio lost all the configuration and the System Preferences did not have an audio output device! I downloaded and installed the latest appleAlc.kext restoring everything back. Hope the images I am uploading will give a visual aid to what I have done to correct the problem and that might help your system..  

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 9.17.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 9.58.20 PM.png

7 hours ago, Slice said:

See last messages here

VoodooHDA 2.9.7 

Installing VoodooHDA 2.9.7 replacing AppleALC.kext in kexts/Other caused the Audio output device lost in System Properties>Sound  and I could not get any sound in my macOS Big Sur 11.3 on H61M-HD2+i3 2345+Audio Realtek ALC 887. I did not install the kext in Library >Extensions but just installed it in CLOVER>kexts>other and config.plist>Devices_.Audio_ Inject -1

Here are the images with VoodooHDA 2.9.7. 

1.Audio.png

2.Audio.png

Greetings,

I had the opposite no audio with OC no matter what config I changed.

With clover audio no problems.  AppleALC.kext at times doesn't load as race conditions may occur in loading and skip a few important things.

Like after testing something.  So, there is some disadvantage to this as we want audio kext to load and work consistently.

With VoodooHDA.kext 2.9.7 was able to load

For config.plist:

Removed boot statement:  alcid=x

Removed from Devices>Properties the layout-id's for HDEF and HDAU  1b and 3.0 respectively.  

Set Clover Devices>Audio to Detect.

sudo cp -R VoodooHDA.kext /Library/Extensions

Install Preference Pane by doubling clicking on it.

Reboot.

At Clover Boot Menu hit F11 hold for a second or two until you see all the drives icons disappear and then reappear. Then reboot.

Upon boot Audio. Good thing. 

OC USERS:

If you are using OC do the NVRAM RESET to clear out the saved bootup file. (sorta like kextcache)

Set Lilu.kext boot switch in Boot to -lilubetaall

New updates for Lilu to latest just popped in.

Edited by makk