OC 0.6.6 won't boot

BerndVP

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm running a system with OC 0.5.7 and like to upgrade to 0.6.6

I started with a fresh build based on the OC Guide for Ivy Bridge but can't get it running:

IMG_3843.thumb.JPG.78bd90cb7d7d0da2122f23fef748bf9b.JPG

00:000 00:000 BS: Unsupported bootstrap protocol 7 vs 5
00:038 00:038 OC: Boot failed - Unsupported
00:064 00:025 OCB: StartImage failed - Unsupported
04:355 04:290 OCSB: No suitable signature - Security Violation
04:383 00:028 OCB: Apple Secure Boot prohibits this boot entry, enforcing!
04:413 00:029 OCB: LoadImage failed - Security Violation

What Do I need to do ?

EFI_0_5_7.zip EFI_0_6_6.zip

18 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

in version 0.6.6 the Bootstrap folder should not be present

I removed it from the EFI/OC folder, still same error.

13 minutes ago, Shaneee said:

Ensure you've updated BOOTX64.efi also. People seem to forget this.

I used the one from the OpenCore 0.6.6 Release download

1 hour ago, BerndVP said:

... I'm running a system with OC 0.5.7 and like to upgrade to 0.6.6

I started with a fresh build based on the OC Guide for Ivy Bridge but can't get it running...

Try this:

• Enter into Boot section of BIOS setup to erase entries that contain OpenCore, placing macOS disk as the first option
  • ResetNVRAM in OC menu
  • Go into macOS
  • Configure LauncherOption and LauncherPath: LauncherOption=Disabled / LauncherPath=Default (I see you already have this but boot macOS anyway)
  • Reboot by removing OpenCore entries in BIOS again and cleaning NVRAM.

From now on there are 2 ways to work.

• LauncherOption=Disabled (equivalent to BootProtect=None in OC 0.6.5): computer's boot menu shows connected disks but OC does not write its own entry into BIOS
  • LauncherOption=Full (equivalent to BootProtect=Bootstrap in OC 0.6.5): OC writes an entry into BIOS pointing directly to OpenCore.efi and the computer's boot menu shows OC and connected disks.

LauncherOption=Full must be accompanied by UEFI> Quirks> RequestBootVarRouting=True.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Try this:

• Enter into Boot section of BIOS setup to erase entries that contain OpenCore, placing macOS disk as the first option
  • ResetNVRAM in OC menu
  • Go into macOS
  • Configure LauncherOption and LauncherPath: LauncherOption=Disabled / LauncherPath=Default (I see you already have this but boot macOS anyway)

• LauncherOption=Disabled (equivalent to BootProtect=None in OC 0.6.5): computer's boot menu shows connected disks but OC does not write its own entry into BIOS
  • LauncherOption=Full (equivalent to BootProtect=Bootstrap in OC 0.6.5): OC writes an entry into BIOS pointing directly to OpenCore.efi and the computer's boot menu shows OC and connected disks.

LauncherOption=Full must be accompanied by UEFI> Quirks> RequestBootVarRouting=True.

Did you have a look at my config file for 0.6.6 does it seems to be good ?

7 minutes ago, antuneddu said:
  • AAPL,ig-platform-id = 0a006601 - iGPU may not be set correctly. Please read the DeviceProperties Docs 

• SystemProductName = iMac13,2 this is not a suggested SMBIOS for Ivy Bridge Laptop systems. See PlatformInfo Docs
  •  
  • ReleaseUsbOwnership = No but should normally be Yes 

It's a desktop :) with dGPU since last week.

5 hours ago, BerndVP said:

Did you have a look at my config file for 0.6.6 does it seems to be good ?

Yes, the file is well built, there are no obvious errors that prevent startup or at least I do not see them.

I have made a summary (a long summary :) ) looking at the Dortania guide and your config.plist.
But apart from that, have you done the steps that I mentioned in my first answer?

ACPI

Add

SSDT-EC.aml
SSDT-PM.aml (to be generated after install with Pike's ssdtPRGen.sh script)

Delete

Remove CpuPm and Cpu0Ist required until you make your SSDT-PM.aml, after that you can leave blank the key ACPI > Delete

Patch

It's safe to remove all here

Booter

MmioWhitelist

Empty

Patch

Quirks

AvoidRuntimeDefrag: Yes
EnableSafeModeSlide: Yes
EnableWriteUnprotector: Yes
ProvideCustomSlide: Yes
SetupVirtualMap: Yes

DeviceProperties

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
AAPL,ig-platform-id: 0A006601 (iGPU is used to drive a display)
AAPL,ig-platform-id: 07006201 (iGPU is only used for computing tasks and doesn't drive a display) (this is your case with dGPU)

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)
layout-id: 03000000 (AppleALC audio injection)

Delete

Empty

Kernel

Add

Lilu.kext 1.5.1
VirtualSMC.kext 1.2.0
NVMeFix.kext 1.0.5
WhateverGreen.kext 1.4.7
IntelMausi.kext 1.0.5
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
AtherosL1cEthernet.kext
AppleALC.kext 1.5.7
SMCProcessor.kext
SMCSuperIO.kext

If I write version next to the name of the kext, those versions correspond to OpenCore 0.6.6.
There are 3 kexts for Ethernet, IntelMausi is for Intel and AtherosE2200Ethernet and AtherosL1cEthernet are for Atheros, is it so?
Add USBInjectAll.kext for all USB ports to work, together with XhciPortLimit=Yes (see below)

Block

Empty

Emulate

As in your current config.plist

Block

Empty

Patch

Quirks

AppleCpuPmCfgLock: Yes (Only needed when CFG-Lock can't be disabled in BIOS / Only applicable for Ivy Bridge and older)
AppleXcpmCfgLock: Yes (Only needed when CFG-Lock can't be disabled in BIOS)
Only applicable for Haswell and newer
CustomSMBIOSGuid: No
DisableIoMapper: Yes
DisableLinkeditJettison: YES
DisableRtcChecksum: No
ExtendBTFeatureFlags No
LapicKernelPanic: No
LegacyCommpage: No
PanicNoKextDump: Yes
PowerTimeoutKernelPanic: Yes
SetApfsTrimTimeout: -1
XhciPortLimit: Yes (This is actually the 15 port limit patch, must work with USBInjectAll.kext)

Scheme

Leave it as is.

Misc

Boot

Leave it as is.

Debug

AppleDebug: Yes
ApplePanic: Yes
DisableWatchDog: Yes
DisplayLevel: 2147483650
SerialInit: No
SysReport: No
Target: 67

Security

AllowNvramReset: YES
AllowSetDefault: YES
ApECID: 0
AuthRestart: NO
BlacklistAppleUpdate: YES
DmgLoading: Signed
ExposeSensitiveData: 6
Vault: Optional (This is a word, it is not optional to omit this setting)
ScanPolicy: 0
SecureBootModel: Disabled

Tools

It is not important to you now, leave it as is.

Entries

Empty for now

NVRAM

boot-args
alcid=3 it is the same as layout-id=03000000 in DeviceProperties, you can delete it here
-v to show text messages during startup

csr-active-config: 00000000

run-efi-updater: No

prev-lang:kbd: (empty)

WriteFlash: Yes

The rest leave it as it is

PlatformInfo

Leave it as you have it now.
iMac13,2 is Ok: using a dGPU for displaying, and an iGPU for computing tasks only

UEFI

Drivers

Leave only HfsPlus.efi and OpenRuntime.efi

Quirks

IgnoreInvalidFlexRatio: Yes
DisableSecurityPolicy: No
RequestBootVarRouting: Yes
UnblockFsConnect: No

ReservedMemory

It's safe to remove all here.

Edited by miliuco

4 hours ago, BerndVP said:

00:000 00:000 BS: Unsupported bootstrap protocol 7 vs 5
00:038 00:038 OC: Boot failed - Unsupported
00:064 00:025 OCB: StartImage failed - Unsupported
04:355 04:290 OCSB: No suitable signature - Security Violation
04:383 00:028 OCB: Apple Secure Boot prohibits this boot entry, enforcing!
04:413 00:029 OCB: LoadImage failed - Security Violation

What Do I need to do ?

As you are using SecureBootModel = Default in your config.plist, you will also want to check the security section of the OpenCore configuration docs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, miliuco said:

Try this:

• ResetNVRAM in OC menu
  • Go into macOS

Hi, I did cleaning NVRAM like you're steps, so no 'Mac OS X Boot' anymore in the BIOS.
I can boot into my MacOS Mojave but it's still running via 0.5.7.

When I choose my USB Drive with 0.6.6 configuration like you posted here, I still get this errors.

34 minutes ago, blackosx said:

As you are using SecureBootModel = Default in your config.plist, you will also want to check the security section of the OpenCore configuration docs

By changing it to 'Disabled' I was able to get it booted via the USB Drive with OC 0.6.6 into MacOS ! Thanks for this tip!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BerndVP said:

By changing it to 'Disabled' I was able to get it booted via the USB Drive with OC 0.6.6 into MacOS ! Thanks for this tip!

@blackosx had the solution. This is what was missing in config.plist. I'm glad you can already boot from 0.6.6.

Regarding the AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 [HP] card in your signature, is it the model in the attached image? Does it work fine on macOS? Have you done any test such as GeekBench5? Do you notice something strange on the screen? It has a design that I really like and it seems like it only needs one slot.

wx7100.thumb.jpg.b08b0187b97bcbe3ae6853d350d1f233.jpg

32 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Regarding the AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 [HP] card in your signature, is it the model in the attached image? Does it work fine on macOS? Have you done any test such as GeekBench5? Do you notice something strange on the screen? It has a design that I really like and it seems like it only needs one slot.

Correct, this is the model :) 

Works without any changes in my system.

Didn't do a GeekBench5 yet. The system is for Audio Production, Card is running at x8 because I'm also running an Avid HDX [Professional Audio Card] in the PCIe x8 slot and an NVMe drive on a PCIe Adapter on the PCIe X4 slot.

I can say it running super smooth for my purpose, Even with 3 screen connected (1x 4K TV on hidpi 2560x1440 setting; 1x 2K Screen and 1x 1920x1200 screen), at 170 fps. I'm more then happy with it.

Edited by BerndVP
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, miliuco said:

@blackosx had the solution. This is what was missing in config.plist. I'm glad you can already boot from 0.6.6.

The card has not native DeviceID. For better result I will recommend to fake it to 0x69391002 which is same Tonga family.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slice said:

The card has not native DeviceID. For better result I will recommend to fake it to 0x69391002 which is same Tonga family.

Why is it showing correctly in OS X then ?

And if it's needed how to add the fake id ?

Info on the Apple Site:

867506287_Screenshot2021-02-20140329.png.ccc4d4618d17c711949069642bffa742.png

Edited by BerndVP