[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen [From High Sierra to Monterey 12 - Windows 11]

kushwavez

24 posts in this topic

(A really good & compatible notebook for hackintoshing)

lenovo_x1c6.jpg.a19b34d6546991497d48cf556fc07382.jpg

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen

(20KH and 20KG)

(Working from High Sierra 10.13.6 to Monterey 12 - Windows 11)

lenovo_left.thumb.jpg.90a835bd0b77f6368503c28b8e4cab55.jpg

Left side (2x USB-C TB3, Ethernet dongle, USB-A 3.0, HDMI)

lenovo_right.thumb.jpg.9c1f479069331993472fe65d6cfbbd7e.jpg

Right side (combo jack, USB-A 3.0, kensington lock)

Specifications:

• BIOS: v1.50
  • CPU: i5-8250U (Kaby Lake-R, 1.6 GHz up to 3.4 GHz, Quad-Core) and i7-8650U (Kaby Lake-R, 2.1 GHz up to 4.2 GHz, Quad-Core)
  • GPU: Intel UHD 620
  • Display: FHD 1920x1080 (non-touch IPS) 14” 300 nit, WQHD 2560x1440 (non-touch) 14" 300 nit
  • RAM: 16 GB (2x8) DDR3 2133MHz
  • Audio: ALC3286
  • SSD: Original Samsung PM SSD replaced to KINGSTON SA2000M81000G (1 TB NVMe) (~2400 MB/s read, ~2000 MB/s write)
  • WiFi & Bluetooth: Intel AC-8265 M.2 (replaced to BCM94360CS2 with NGFF M.2 adapter)
  • Fingerprint reader
  • HD webcam
  • Multigesture SMBus/RMI Synaptics touchpad with 3 buttons
  • 2 level Backlight keyboard
  • 57 Whr Battery
  • Connectors:
    • 2x USB-Type C - Thunderbolt 3
    • 2x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1x USB charging)
    • 1x Ethernet dongle (Intel I219V4 PCI-e)
    • 1x HDMI
    • 3.5mm combo-jack audio

BIOS settings:

• Secure Boot: Disabled
  • UEFI: Enabled
  • CSM: Disabled
  • Virtualization, VT-d: Enabled
  • Hyper-Threading: Enabled
  • Anti-Theft: Disabled
  • Intel SGX: Software Controlled
  • Disable Fingerprint at I/O
  • Thunderbolt device: Enabled
  • For Thunderbolt 3 hot-plug (higher power consumption):
    • Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode: Disabled
    • Security Level: No security
    • Support in Pre Boot Environment: Disabled
  • For Thunderbolt 3 without hot-plug (lower power consumption but need to plug your device before boot)
    • Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode: Enabled

What is working:

• AirDrop, Handoff (only with Broadcom cards)
  • iCloud, Messages, App Store, FaceTime, etc.
  • Instant WiFi Hotspot with iPhone (only with original Apple Broadcom cards, such as BCM94360CS2)
  • Intel UHD 620 (QE/CI, hardware decode/encode, VP9, HDMI)
  • Sound (incl. combo-jack, HDMI out)
  • Thunderbolt 3 (with hot-plug support)
  • USB ports
  • Ethernet dongle
  • TrackPad, TrackPoint and Keyboard (incl. native multi-gestures, FN keys)
  • FileVault
  • Battery (~0.5 W when TB3 hot-plug is disabled, ~2W when enabled)
  • Sleep
  • Power Management
  • Webcam
  • SD card reader

What isn’t working:

• Fingerprint reader (disabled in BIOS)
  • Hibernation
    • I think it's fixable, but just not worth the trouble for me. Just use normal sleep (hibernationmode=3) like on real MacBooks
  • Original Samsung PM NVMe SSD

Issues:

• Although we have OpenIntelWireless for Intel WiFi, it’s quite unusable in my case (v1.1.0). It’s really slow (4 MB/s) and disconnecting quite often, the ping is also really high sometimes (spiking up to ~3000ms when pinging google.com). Sleep also breaks the connection. For reconnecting I have to reboot the whole system. Bluetooth quality is also really bad unfortunately, also disconnecting quite often.
    • I suggest everyone to just get a compatible original Apple BCM94360CS2 with an adapter for OOB support, excellent speed, Instant Hotspot, AirDrop & Handoff, Universal Control support and for best Bluetooth quality
      • (you can buy these cards from ebay, Aliexpress or Amazon)
  • With BCM94360NG I have a strange issue where the speed/rate is capped at 434 mbit/s ~30 MB/s and can only reach 866 mbit/s ~60 MB/s if I RESTART directly from Windows. Unfortunately isn't fixable, so if you really need high speed just go for the BCM94360CS2 instead, or BCM94352Z (with AirportBrcmFixup.kext)
  • HDMI isn't working if you start the system with plugged in, disconnect before start and reconnect it after macOS is up and running
  • HDMI breaks after sleep/wake, need to re-plug
  • Audio sometimes just goes blank at random, combo-jack also doesn't recognise the combo-jack sometimes (garbled sound output): A sleep/wake solves the problem most of the time, issue needs to be debugged and reported to the Acidanthera team
  • Thunderbolt 3 (I only have an ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 device with RX 470, so maybe other devices are good, but I don't have more TB3 devices to test with):
    •  If you disconnect the eGPU the notebook will freeze (high CPU usage), you need to restart
      • After some testing on other machines as well I think this is related to the ADT-Link itself as macOS can't detect it as a normal eGPU like the Razer Core X, but a 3rd party generic PCIe to TB3 adapter
    • After sleep hot-plug is not working with the TB3 eGPU (device not detected)
      • Workaround: Plug the TB3 in, put the notebook into sleep, wake it up. It may fail sometimes, try it again if that is the case

Not tested:

• WWAN (no equipment)

Installation:

• Create an installer with any method you know
    • Mac: App Store - createinstallmedia, gibMacOS
    • Windows: Use my guide to create an Internet Recovery for Monterey  
      • You can use gibMacOS for older versions of MacOS
  • Copy my bootpack folder to the USB's EFI folder
  • Boot with the Installer USB
  • If you stuck in boot, reboot and in the Clover bootloader select "config_debug.plist" -> you'll have more informations about the freeze
  • To disable SIP boot with "config_debug.plist"

Post Installation:

• Generate a new Serial Number with Clover Configurator.app for yourself  (open up your config.plist with CC then -> SMBIOS -> Serial Number -> Generate New)

Windows 10 dual-boot (on one drive):

• My GUIDE to create a dual-boot with Windows 10 (or 11) on the same drive:

Some pictures:

1616013544_Screenshot2022-01-18at21_31_22.png.087c7230f873df8d52d4d157faaa207f.png

macOS Monterey 12.1

1943624570_Screenshot2021-01-13at14_56_21.thumb.png.83a416cff8cf6ba886880b5cf1c9a571.png

PCI Device list

586248034_Screenshot2021-01-13at15_04_05.png.6e8ee016e1fae400bd502d480969675d.png

Working Trackpad

Spoiler

638932_img_0082.thumb.jpg.cffe4771973aa9ebb44af8563937e3c1.jpg

Original Apple BCM94360CS2 WiFi card fitted.

Be careful about it and make sure that the card does not make any contact with the NVMe drive!

Useful Applications for Mac:

Useful Applications for Windows:

Credit for tylernguyen for his hard work for creating SSDTs for Thunderbolt 3, he did an excellent job

Notes:

• You should use Thunderbolt BIOS Assist mode to lower your power consumption, but you'll lose hot-plug
  • If you're using KINGSTON NVMe SSD like me, you should not use NVMeFix.kext. It's causing stutters and kernel panics. Only use it if necessary

Changelog:

• 2022.01.06: Updated Clover to v5143, updated SMBIOS with FirmwareFeaturesMask, updated kexts, updated to Monterey 12.1
  • 2021.06.03: Updated Clover to v5136, deleted SSDT-HPET no need for that, updated some of the kexts, cleaned up config.plist
  • 2021.04.19: Added BCM94360CS2 to the list, working OOB with ~75 MB/s (in my case), updated IntelMausi.kext -> Fixes an issue where at saturation (~125 MB/s) the Ethernet started stuttering
  • 2021.04.12: Updated Clover to v5133: Fixes an issue where if FileVault is enabled, macOS OTA Installer entry cannot be seen
  • 2021.03.09: Fixed TB3 Hot-Plug, deleted AirPortBrcmFixup.kext (not needed with BCM94360NG), Updated VoodooRMI.kext & VoodooPS2Controller.kext, updated Clover to v5131
  • 2021.02.09: EFI moved to GitHub: it's easier to push minor(and major) updates
  • 2021.01.27: Updated to Clover v5129 -> Recovery is now working
  • 2021.01.24: Downgraded WhateverGreen from v1.4.6 to v1.4.5. v1.4.6 caused kernel panic with Installer USB's (failed to route the function IsTypeCOnlySystem). 
  • 2021.01.21: Fixed TouchPad, TrackPoint: Fixed not loading VoodooRMI & VoodooPS2, removed BrcmPatchRAM, not needed for BCM94360NG, updated bootpack
  • 2021.01.13: Initial upload
Edited by kushwavez
updated some things
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I bought this laptop which will arrive shortly. I have read your guide and I congratulate you. But I have some questions for you, I hope you can answer me.

1) You use the Clover method, while on the net I find projects with OpenCore, according to your experience which one should you use?

2) How to replace the wifi card you recommend the BCM94360CS2 I have some recommend the intel AX200, since I have to buy it, which of the two do I take?

3) I have read problems with ssd, should I change it or start trying?

4) I want to dual boot with windows 11 and Monterey can I do it with only 1 ssd or is it not recommended?

thank you and sorry for my english

Hi!

Good choice! This is a great notebook for hackintoshing.

1.: I use Clover because it is convenient for dual-boot (well, now it's triple-boot with Linux) and I find it very easy-to-use. I don't like the idea that OC is injecting patches to Win and Linux too. Clover launches them natively. And I also don't find any cons either, both are just doing fine, what Clover can do, OC can do too.

2.: For wifi If you want full Mac-like experience just buy an Apple BCM94360CS2 with an M.2 NGFF adapter and place it like I did on the picture. With Intel you won't have Airdrop, Universal Control, etc. 

3.: Yes, unfortunately the original Samsung PM SSD which came with the X1C6 is not working nicely with Mac, it just doesn't work and you'll have to replace it (sorry, I forgot this to add to Not working list, I'll fix that now, edit: fixed)

4.: Yes, you can dual-boot, I am using that way mine since the beginning. Follow my other guide to do that.

Edited by kushwavez

ok thanks, follow your lead and i will use clover as i always have.

For the wifi question as I will also use windows 11 I would like it to be compatible with both systems, does the BCM94360CS2 work well on windows? in the past on a dell E7450 I had used a broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 on macOS it was fine but on window it did not exceed 70mb

ok i will have to buy ssd too

Yes, It'll work on Win 11 if you install the right drivers. I searched/downloaded them from google. 

Also, 70 mbit or MB (megabytes)? if mbit then indeed that is really slow. 

With BCM94360CS2 I have around ~75 MB/s download speed, depending on the environment and distance from the AP. On WIndows it's not that fast (about 60 MB/s instead of 75) but it's still plenty of enough for me.

For some reason the upload is slower, around 40 MB/s and the NSS (spatial stream) is going low to 1 from 2. I don't know the reason for that, but it didn't cause a problem for me as this speed is enough for me.

In the future I am planning to add 2 or one more antennas (to the place where the WWAN's antennas originally placed) and buy either a BCM94360CS (the 3 antenna card) or the BCM94360CD (the 4 antenna one with 1300 Mbit/s).

Hello, the pc finally arrived, which is very nice, we hope to be able to install macos.

I created a monterey usb via a mac min, then I installed clover and finally I replaced the files in the efi of the usb with those of your repo.

I set the bios as per your advice, but when I try to start the usb nothing happens I click on the USB bot but after a few seconds the same screen reappears. Can you give some advice?

Thank you! in fact the EFI folder was missing I had put everything in the root of the partition.

I launched the installation and to my surprise it was installed at the first try, the wifi does not work naturally (8265NGW) I have to take the BCM94360CS2.
As for the ssd I used the one already present, but I saw that it is not a samsung but a Union Memory model, I do not know how to continue with this or replace it ...

How can I test that everything is working as it should?

Spoiler

IMG_0217.jpgIMG_0207.jpgIMG_0219.jpg

Edited by espanico

Great to hear!

For intel, as a temporary solution you can try the AirportItlwm.kext.

For me it didn't work great and had so much trouble (disconnects, bluetooth didn't work, was slow), but it was updated since then. Try it https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/itlwm, but I really think the best is just change.. Especially if you have other Apple devices and would like to use the Apple specific features for real Mac experience.

As for the SSD, well if you don't experience any kernel panics, slowness or freezes then it's good and you don't have to replace it.

As for the test, well just use it... :D Try USB ports, etc, if you have Thunderbolt devices test them too. That is one thing I cannot really test as I just only have one Thunderbolt device (an eGPU) so I cannot make any assumptions.

But just use the notebook, if there are any problems then it'll come up sooner or later.

Also don't forget to generate a new SMBIOS with Clover Configurator before logging in to iCloud

Edited by kushwavez

Hi, I have installed AirportItlwm.kext it seems to be fine I use it while I get the ccccccc.

I was also able to dual boot windows 11 thanks to your guide.

One thing I don't like and the audio sounds a little too low and sometimes the system sounds (like empty trash) are not heard

Also don't forget to generate a new SMBIOS with Clover Configurator before logging in to iCloud

I opened the config.plist file but if I go to the SMBIOS -> System section and then click on generate new it does not change the serial, while if I do it on SmUUID it changes it, am I wrong or should it be done like this?

As for clover, I would like it not to start automatically if nothing is selected, but that I choose every time I start the system, do I have to act in the Gui section from Clover Configurator ?

thank you

Edited by espanico

For audio: Well, I use enhancement softwares, namely Boom3D to significantly improve the sound quality. One free alternative is eqMac, I think that is still free but I am unsure now because I saw "Pro" versions too. Try them out

As for the SMBIOS change, just open your config.plist file with Clover Configurator and at SMBIOS, just select MacBookPro15,2 from the drop-down list with the arrow icons, that'll generate new.

As for the auto-boot go to Boot section and set Default Boot Volume and Timeout to blank. That'll stop the countdown.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:07 AM, espanico said:

Hi, I bought this laptop which will arrive shortly. I have read your guide and I congratulate you. But I have some questions for you, I hope you can answer me.

1) You use the Clover method, while on the net I find projects with OpenCore, according to your experience which one should you use?

2) How to replace the wifi card you recommend the BCM94360CS2 I have some recommend the intel AX200, since I have to buy it, which of the two do I take?

3) I have read problems with ssd, should I change it or start trying?

4) I want to dual boot with windows 11 and Monterey can I do it with only 1 ssd or is it not recommended?

thank you and sorry for my english

Go with the intel wifi and use this for wifi

https://github.com/1hbb/OpenIntelWireless-Factory/releases

and this for Bluetooth 

https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/IntelBluetoothFirmware

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 21:03, STLVNUB said:

Hello, I had to put the pc aside a bit for other commitments, so if I understand correctly you suggest me to use these two kets in substitution of those present in the efi folder of kushwavez?

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone, I return to writing on the forum after months, unfortunately I had to put aside the macOS project as I had to use windows at work and I needed something stable. Now I can go back to experimenting, but with my regret I noticed that the startup has become quite slow more than 60 seconds and also the use has become slow and unusable.

Do you think it is the SSD that gives problems? I still have the original one, if I have to change it I had thought of adding another NVMe M.2 2242 drive in the WAN slot, do you think it is a good choice or do I lose performance? so i would put windows 11 and macos on separate drives.

4 hours ago, espanico said:

Hello everyone, I return to writing on the forum after months, unfortunately I had to put aside the macOS project as I had to use windows at work and I needed something stable. Now I can go back to experimenting, but with my regret I noticed that the startup has become quite slow more than 60 seconds and also the use has become slow and unusable.

Do you think it is the SSD that gives problems? I still have the original one, if I have to change it I had thought of adding another NVMe M.2 2242 drive in the WAN slot, do you think it is a good choice or do I lose performance? so i would put windows 11 and macos on separate drives.

After a while if you don't use Mac, it'll start re-caching/indexing the files and that can slow down the entire system. If you see processes mds/mds_store/mds_share/userfsd then it's doing it. Just let it be, it'll finish it's thing.

About the 60 sec boot process, that is indeed slow 

You can test your write/read speed with "Blackmagic Disk Speed test" app, from Apple Store to see if the drive itself slow or not.

If it's slow, then I don't think you can do anything apart from changing it to a better drive.

I have KINGSTON A2000 1 TB NVMe for reference, it's working excellent in both Mac and Windows

But, not a bad idea to have another drive for Win in that WWAN slot. I am planning to do the same. 

Edited by kushwavez

1 hour ago, kushwavez said:

Dopo un po', se non usi il Mac, inizierà a memorizzare nuovamente nella cache/indicizzare i file e ciò può rallentare l'intero sistema. Se vedi processi mds/mds_store/mds_share/userfsd, lo sta facendo. Lascia che sia, finirà la sua cosa.

Circa il processo di avvio di 60 secondi, è davvero lento 

Puoi testare la tua velocità di scrittura/lettura con l'app "Blackmagic Disk Speed test", dall'Apple Store per vedere se l'unità stessa rallenta o meno.

Se è lento, non penso che tu possa fare altro a parte cambiarlo con un disco migliore.

Ho KINGSTON A2000 1 TB NVMe come riferimento, funziona perfettamente sia su Mac che su Windows

Ma non è una cattiva idea avere un'altra unità per Win in quello slot WWAN. Ho intenzione di fare lo stesso. 

ok I do the checks you recommended.

For any disc to be used in the wan slot do you already have some model to recommend? I have seen that there are but of little known brands (or at least to me), such as KINGSTON, Crucial or similar I have not found them.

I found SK-Hynix and Western Digital ones, they could be good.

Unfortunately they're max 512 GB. There is an original Lenovo one that is 1 TB, but that is very expensive so I won't buy it.

These are the two that are not 'no-name' branded

WD SN530 512GB M.2 2242 SSD (PCIe, SDBPMPZ-512G, 2242, 2400MB/1750MB)

SK-Hynix BC511 512GB M.2 2242 SSD (PCIe, HFM512GDHTNI, 2242, 2300MB/1000MB)

In my country they're about $50, so not a bad deal. 

I have found several noname brands too on aliexpress/amazon but... I don't trust them and I do not recommend them to anyone.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I finally bought an M.2 2242 ssd a WD 256 GB which I am willing to buy for about 20 $

But I encountered 2 problems, the first that to mount it in the right position must be put backwards and therefore remains raised (I attach photos), and the second problem is not recognized by windows or macOS. Furthermore, if I start the PC with the SSD connected, the wifi does not work.

Has anyone tried it and did it work? do i have to activate something from bios?

Spoiler

IMG_0050.jpg

Spoiler

IMG_0051.jpg

Edited by espanico

From the pics it looks like it's not properly connected. So because of the chip you can't screw it down? what if you screw it just a bit, until you feel it won't go lower? Obviously be very careful about it, if you feel it won't go down then don't force it. 

Another thing is that maybe check the BIOS to see if it's recognised or not, for example it Boot selection menu. 
Unfortunately I still could not get an SSD to try, they're just too inexpensive in my country, but I am looking for it and maybe can find a good deal

Hi, in the end I got a new ssd of the wd to replace with the original one that gives problems. I will do as I always did the two partitions.

After I wrote here a user privately wrote me how technically this is not feasible, to use an SSd in the WWAN slot could damage the entire laptop, so to avoid problems I forget this path.

Now I still have another question, should I install macOS Monterey or wait a little longer and wait for macOS Ventura (always if compatible)?

Hi, I bought a new WD ssd I recreated the usb with your EFI folder. The installation all ok, in the post installation I copied the 'EFI' folder in the EFI I restarted and everything started, but the startup is very slow about 1 minute, it loads half the bar in the black apple screen then it stops and then it arrives to the login screen. Maybe I am doing something wrong or do I have to make some changes for the new SSD?

Thank you

• 1 year later...