[Help] How to inject GPU when vBIOS isn't available to MacOS

shantur

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am trying to passthrough FirePro D700 gpu to MacOS Catalina VM in ESXi running on MacPro6,1.

I have tried normal MacOS VM with ESXi it didn't work. After deep inspection and research I found out that ESXi doesn't provide the VBIOS to MacOS VM and hence no way of MacOS to read information about the GPUs.

After researching more I found out that with SSDT i could inject VBIOS via "ATY,bin_image" property. I extracted VBIOS with DarwinDumper and created SSDT. I installed OpenCore to add this SSDT and enabled WhateverGreen and Lilu. Now IORegistry shows that I have bios for my GPU but still there is no output on any of my ports.

1017665811_Screenshot2020-10-26at11_49_15.png.e10d6f47282155301fdc7ae3a1192ca2.png

I am trying to inject more properties but no luck.

I have attached my OpenCore folder and IOReg from the VM below.

Has anyone ever attempted something similar? Any help or pointers how can I implement this?

PS : Just to let you know I can make this work with Proxmox as it allows an option to inject GPU vbios but need ESXi for compatibility purposes.

MacOSVM.ioreg.zip

OC.zip

@Hervé : Sure. All I was doing is trying to explain them why this happens.

I agree this happens in VM and the reason it happens is lack of vBIOS and this could serve as a base for more vBIOS injection issues in general. I am happy to go by whatever you suggest is the best way forward.