marzib

High Sierra Installer Stuck at "Start ReadKernelCache" on Boot

1 post in this topic

I'm trying to upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra. My Sierra is working and booting great with the latest Clover 5.0 r5115, but when trying to upgrade to High Sierra, any time the computer reboots into the installer, it gets stuck at the line "Start ReadKernelCache". The screenshot is attached. I've tried the following troubleshooting steps that I've read in other similar posts, none of which worked. It always remains stuck at that line:

• Boot with UseKernelCache=No and/or -x and or -f
  • Temporarily remove discrete graphics card and try to install with integrated graphics
  • Add MATS to the Drop Tables list in Clover Configurator
  • Look for an option similar to "Above 4G Encoding". My motherboard doesn't seem to have that.
  • Try a bootable USB drive with the High Sierra installer instead of the App Store mechanism. The USB boots great, and I can initiate the installation, but upon reboot, I get the same issue trying to boot into the installer.  
  • Disable integrated graphics in the motherboard's BIOS  

Below are my system details. It seems like it should be possible, based on this post, to run High Sierra with this motherboard and CPU, but I can't get the installer to run. 

Thanks for any help!

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 
Clover: 5.0 r5115 with basically no mods from the default ISO aside from enabling APFS driver

high_sierra_installer_stuck.jpg

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Announcements

• Similar Content

• By razor6986
      My hardware is as follows-
      Motherboard- MSI H310M PRO-VH
      Cpu- I5 9400F
      GPU- Zotac Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB mini
      I have uploaded a pic of the error which I am getting. Please Help.

• By poisson-myfish
      So I have some less powerful hardware, that's why I'm installing High Sierra in 2020. Anyway, I'm trying to boot from the USB and I get the following errors:
      00:000 00:000 OCB: Missing DMG signature, aborting 00:585 00:585 OCB: LoadImage failed - Unsupported That's it. The logs begin and end there. The rest of the file is zeroes.

Bootloader: OpenCore 0.5.9 Release
      Drivers:
      HfsPlus.efi
      OpenRuntime.efi

Kexts:
      AppleALC.kext
      Lilu.kext
      RealtekRTL8111.kext
      SMCBatteryManager.kext
      SMCLightSensor.kext
      SMCProcessor.kext
      SMCSuperIO.kext
      VirtualSMC.kext
      WhateverGreen.kext

ACPI:
      SSDT-EC.aml
      SSDT-HPET.aml
      SSDT-PLUG.aml
      Note: I used SSDTTime to make the DSDT dumps for this exact computer

Hardware:
      Intel Core i3 (Haswell)
      An Intel VGA-Compatible Haswell iGPU
      An nVidia Geforce 920m GPU (part of the reason for installing High Sierra)
      USB: Intel 8 Series USB xHCI HC
      SATA: Intel 8 series SATA Controller

If you need more details, here's my laptop https://www.asus.com/Laptops/X540LJ/ . I have the 512GB version with 4GB of RAM

I found a lot of forum posts about people having the same error, except nothing solved mine. Also, I haven't found anything online about the error with the Missing DMG Signature.

EDIT: If anybody needs my config.plist, feel free to ask for it and I'll happily post it
    • By ajpadovani
      I am really at my wits end here. I am hoping someone on here with more experience with UEFI and boot loaders might be able to provide insight into an otherwise inexplicable problem I am having with a brand-new system built around the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS. My gut tells me the problem is somehow related to UEFI settings, Secure boot, or some combination, but I really have no idea if that is the case.

The problem is two-fold. First, my system will only boot to a device (e.g., USB stick) under two conditions: 1) no SATA drive is plugged in or 2) when a specific SSD is plugged in (I'll refer to this as SSD1). I have three other hard drives that otherwise work (I have tested them in another system). None of them have Windows installed, though some do have existing data partitions. One of the three is a brand-new, never-been-used 1TB SSD. If I plug in any of these three other hard drives, the system will reboot immediately after POST. However, if SSD1 is plugged in it will boot to a USB stick - UEFI or Legacy, doesn't matter.

Secondly, if I attempt to create a partition, run a surface test, or install an OS to SSD1, the system immediately reboots. I can format SSD1, change volume sizes, run a surface scan, but only in a live linux environment - if I plug SSD1 into another machine as a secondary data drive (i.e., I boot to my primary boot volume), the other machine will blue screen when loading into Windows. If it is attached to this new machine, it will boot to a USB stick just fine.

I have also enabled Hot Plug, which allows me to access SATA drives that I plug in after boot. If I hot plug the brand-new 1TB SSD during a live linux distro, the drive shows up and I can see its properties. However, if I try to do something like create a partition or run a surface test, the machine will also immediately reboot.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might cause this? The only thing that I can think of that explains both problems is some kind of secure boot-like security feature, but I haven't been able to figure out how to confirm whether that is the case. In 20 years of building computers I have never even heard of anything like this. I am new to EFI systems, however, so I'm quite out of my element - this is the first EFI-based system I've set up.
    • By PropoFlexWX4
      After hearing that OpenCore is so much better than Clover, and that it will probably be able to boot Big Sur before Clover does, I decided to take the jump.

Running Catalina 10.15.5 18F101 with OC 0.5.9.

So far I like the result. The OS feels faster, boots faster.
      And absolutely everything works (sleep, network, etc...)

So, that's it? Is there anything else I have to do?
    • By ITzTravelInTime
      Hi guys, this thread is to show you a new and open source app, created by me, that I called TINU:

The name means: TINU Is Not #####, the U refers to a popular software that is used to create macOS hackintosh installers (that for good reasons is banned on this forum), but the aim of the name is to explain that this app is a totally different thing from that software and works in a totally different way.

This app basically is a graphical interface for the createinstallmedia executable that is inside the macOS and Mac OS X installer apps, it is capable to create a bootable installer completely vanilla like what you do using the command line method, and also this method is recommended by apple itself. In addition to this, this app provvides to you simplicity and flexybility, and lets you to avoid most of the steps needed with every other app.

TINU allows you to create easily a bootable macOS installer without messing around with command line stuff and without using disk utility, all you need to do is use the app and then install clover on the usb drive once TINU has finished or leave it as is if you want to use it on a real Mac.

Features:
      - Simple-to-use UI that allows you to easily start the bootable macOS installer creation process.
      - It can work with every macOS installer app that has the createinstallmedia executable inside its resources folder (including also beta and newly released installers).
      - You can use any erasable volume that is at least 7 GB of size (10+gb if you use catalina or newer versions, if the volume's drive is not in GUID format, TINU will re-format it accordingly).
      - Can work with the Mac OS recovery system, so you can create a bootable macOS installer from the macOS installer itself or from the macOS recovery partition, and you can use TINU to install macOS, too.
      - 100% clean: The bootable macOS installers created with this tool are vanilla, just as if you created them using the command line "createinstallmedia" method in Terminal.
      - Open Source: You can verify what this program does on your computer and you can create your own version by downloading and playing with the source code.
      - Does not require any special preparations. Just open the program, make sure you have a USB drive plugged in and have a macOS installer app on your disk.
      - No need to use Disk Utility. TINU can format your drive or partition for you.
      - Integrated EFI partition mounter tool.
      - Autaomated Open Core and clover EFI folder isntaller
      - Works using the latest versions of macOS and will also support newer Mac installers out of the box without requiring an update.

Features that are planned for future versions:
      - Support for other languages, at least Italian.

# Requirements:
      - A computer that runs Mac OS X Yosemite or a more recent version (Mac OS X El Capitan is required to use TINU in a macOS recovery or installer).
      - A drive or a free partition (on a drive which already supports GUID) of least 7 GB that you want to turn into a macOS/Mac OS X installer.
      - A copy of a macOS/Mac OS X installer app (Maveriks or newer versions are supported) in the /Applications folder or in the root of any storage drive on your machine (excepted the drive or volume you want to turn into your macOS install media).

Download:
      https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases

Frequently asked questions:
      https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/wiki/FAQs

Useful links:
      Thread (english) on insanelymac.com:
      - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/326959-tinu-the-macos-installer-creator-app-mac-app/
      Thread (italian) on insanelymac.com:
      - https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/333261-tinu-app-per-creare-chiavette-di-installazione-di-macos-thread-in-italiano/
      Thread (english-german) on hackintosh-forum.de:
      - https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/index.php/Thread/33630-TINU/
      Post on Reddit:
      - https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/a1h61d/tinu_vanilla_bootable_macos_installer_creation/
      Facebook hackintosh help and beta testing (Italian only):
      - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Italia.hackintosh/?fref=ts
      Contact me (project creator):
      - Insanelymac.com profile: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/user/1390153-itztravelintime/
      - email: piecaruso97@gmail.com

Note that:
      - This software is under GNU GPL v3 license so any new branch/mod/third party release must be open source and under the same license
      - I (project creator) assume no responsibility for any use of this app and this source code, and also for any kind of hardware and software damage to any computer and any device or peripheral that may come from this app or source code during it's use and outside it's usage
      - I (project creator) do not guarantee support to you, this is only an open source project, not a product released by a company!
      - This project is born only for educational and demonstrative purposes, it's not intended to be used for commercial purposes and it will never be, don't use source code from this project to create apps or software for that aim.
      - This is a no-profit project, born only to let people to create macOS install medias in a more simple way and also to learn how to create this kind of apps.

Credits:
      - Apple for macos and installer apps and scripts
      - People that helped me a lot:
      Francesco Perchiazzi, Nicola Tomarelli, Roberto Sciortino, Raffaele Sonnessa, Ermanno Nicoletti, Tommaso Dimatore, Michele Vitiello Bonaventura, Massimiliano Faralli, Davide Dessì, Giorgio Dall'Aglio, Peter Paul Chato.   
      - Special thanks to Italian Hackintosh group!! for help (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Italia.hackintosh/?fref=ts)
      - Thomas Tempelmann for help with the UI
      - Pietro Caruso (ITzTravelInTime) for creating, maintaing and developing this project