Kernal Panics

alexprice

21 posts in this topic

Where did the panic.log go, cant find it anywhere, my machine has started to kernal panic once every hour maybe, if I open a .jpg file it will also do it then.

Im using a Celeron D 2.6GHz, 512MB Corsair, Intel 915 MLB, GMA 900 Graphics, P-ATA HD - WD 80GB, using the deadmoo verison, I have done the CoreGrpahics fix, aswell as removing the .kext file that was hogging the CPU, repaired permissions and ran FSCK -F,

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Alex Price

Exactly the same problem here. I've checked and unchecked it a dozen of times, restarted, did it again and it refuses to load as PPC. Maybe we're missing some sort of cache flushing? You know, some of those OSX bizarre things :blink:

Exactly the same problem here. I've checked and unchecked it a dozen of times, restarted, did it again and it refuses to load as PPC. Maybe we're missing some sort of cache flushing? You know, some of those OSX bizarre things ;)

I find this odd. I can't find rosetta with apple-I, does not give me the option for that one. Maybe this is the reason I get kernal panics when I run ppc apps. Some apps with crash right away(load screen crashes) and some will crash when I make them run. I must have rosetta enabled because I can run I tunes but I don't have a ipod so it still may crash. Any suggestions would be great. Would rosetta be a file I should be able to find? If so, where would it be located to see if its there.

Are you using native SS3 support or Maxxus' patch?

Native.. running celeron 2.66, just did a fresh install and I know rosetta is working because I tried to run some programs before I patched coregraphics and they would not run. So after the patch most do run but crash soon after, when I try to excute the program. But no I have no Maxxus patches.

Noticed in my crash log that it lists ATSServer and oah750d.

I marked it to open using rosetta, but it keeps running the intel binary :huh:

Is there anything else i could do?

I have exactly the same problem. After hours of searching around to troubleshoot this, I finally gave up and used this workaround (I'm using Preview as an example, but this should work with any app):

Open Terminal and type:

cd /Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/
sudo mv Preview PreviewApp
sudo vi Preview

Of course you can rename the application's executable to anything you want, just remember this name, we'll need it later... In vi, type i, then enter:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/libexec/oah/oah750 /Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/PreviewApp &

When finished, press ESC, then type :x and press Return. Next, make this file executable with

sudo chmod a+x Preview

Finally, type

cd ..
sudo "/Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property List Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/Property List Editor" Info.plist

and change the value of CFBundleExecutable to PreviewApp. Preview should now run in Rosetta. But there is (at least) one catch: When you move the app, you also have to change the script.

I tried but:

proteo:~ proteo$ cd /Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/

proteo:/Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS proteo$ sudo mv Preview PreviewApp

Password:

proteo:/Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS proteo$ sudo vi Preview

proteo:/Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS proteo$ sudo chmod a+x Preview

proteo:/Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS proteo$ cd ..

proteo:/Applications/Preview.app/Contents proteo$ sudo "/Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property List Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/Property List Editor" Info.plist

sudo: /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property List Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/Property List Editor: command not found

Did I miss something?

OK. I figured out that's because I don't have the "/Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property" folder. It is created when installing the developer tools? How can I install them? I have the Developer Kit DVD

Update :( : It works OK if I double-click any image (jpg, png, etc) I can see the picture, and do all the operations. However, the application lost the menu (I see the Finder menu instead) and the Preview.app icon doesn't show in the dock.

Do you know how to fix that? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update :D : It works OK if I double-click any image (jpg, png, etc) I can see the picture, and do all the operations. However, the application lost the menu (I see the Finder menu instead) and the Preview.app icon doesn't show in the dock.

Do you know how to fix that? Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is probably caused by the executable name (PreviewApp) and the CFBundleExecutable value being different. Did you install the Property List Editor? I think it's somewhere in the developer tools. You can probably install them with the Optional Installs package on the DVD. But you don't really need it anyway, just open the Info.plist file with your favorite editor and change the line after <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>.

Where did the panic.log go, cant find it anywhere

Apparently when the kernel panics, it writes the panic information text that is hidden behind the "You need to restart" message to the OpenFirmware nvram. At boot time, it checks the nvram for this and copies it to the /Library/Logs/panic.log file. But since we are on x86, there is no OpenFirmware, so this information is lost.

Having said that, here's a way to at least see the panic information on screen: At the boot prompt, append "debug=0x100" to the kernel command line (press F8 to get it back if you are using quiet boot). This disables the "You need to restart" message and reverts to the behavior of OS 10.1.

Guest User Name
I have exactly the same problem. After hours of searching around to troubleshoot this, I finally gave up and used this workaround (I'm using Preview as an example, but this should work with any app):

Open Terminal and type:

cd /Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/
sudo mv Preview PreviewApp
sudo vi Preview

Of course you can rename the application's executable to anything you want, just remember this name, we'll need it later... In vi, type i, then enter:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/libexec/oah/oah750 /Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/PreviewApp

When finished, press ESC, then type :x and press Return. Next, make this file executable with

sudo chmod a+x Preview

Finally, type

cd ..
sudo "/Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property List Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/Property List Editor" Info.plist

and change the value of CFBundleExecutable to PreviewApp. Preview should now run in Rosetta. But there is (at least) one catch: When you move the app, you also have to change the script.

Thank you.

Now it WORKS! :)

Mmmm... I did the process all over again and now I had partial sucess. If Preview is closed, when I open it or double click I can see two Preview icons in the dock, one bouncing to infinite and beyond, and another one with the small triangle below. Then I force-quit the bouncing one and Preview starts to work properly, but its kinda annoying to do that all the time. :o

Mmmm... I did the process all over again and now I had partial sucess. If Preview is closed, when I open it or double click I can see two Preview icons in the dock, one bouncing to infinite and beyond, and another one with the small triangle below.

Oops. Add a & at the end of the second line of the shell script, ie.

#!/bin/sh
/usr/libexec/oah/oah750 /Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/PreviewApp &

There will still be two icons, but the first one should diappear immediately. It's almost like the icon appears, then disappears, then appears again.

And, the last step(edit Info.plist) seems unnecessary? My Preview works fine without that.

Mine does, too, but without showing the dock icon.

Btw, you can also do

ditto -arch ppc /Applications/Preview.app /Applications/PreviewPPC.app

This "thins" the fat binary inside the Preview bundle to the ppc platform only, forcing it to run in Rosetta. Since this is not reversable, you want to move the original someplace safe, and then rename PreviewPPC to Preview.

According to Apple's Universal Binary Programming Guide, checking "Open using Rosetta" should add

<key>LSPrefersPPC</key>
<true/>

to the app's Info.plist. For me, it does nothing - the complete bundle doesn't change at all - and adding this manually doesn't do anything as well. I'm wondering how Finder keeps track of whether this option is checked... Could someone who's "Open using Rosetta" checkbox works confirm this? Maybe it adds some other key?