powermac g3 graphix

Soündless

9 posts in this topic

i got a powermac g3 off ebay 7 months ago. just now, the graphics died. when i tuurn it on, the system starts up, but the monitor doesnt show anything. i can bot up off the restore disks, what can i do?

Try replacing the battery.

Along those lines, there are a couple other things to try.

Unplug the computer power cord (<-- do this, it is not just for safety reasons) and open the computer. Remove the battery. Right beside the battery is a little round switch button. Press that button once for about 1-2 seconds. Then go for a 5 minute walk. Reinstall the battery, close the computer and plug it back in.

Boot the computer, but immediately press and hold these keys: Command - R - Option - P (the first two work with your left hand, the second two with the right hand)

Hold these down until you get the computer to make a "bong" sound 3 times, then release them.

If this doesn't help your video, then try replacing the battery as Nonny Moose suggested.

And, if that doesn't help, then you need a new video card or for a similar price, another computer.

dude, i have already told u, it is linUx not linYx and i think it would be easier to get another one of the same brand. i was just planning on using this for itunes, or word. Does anyone know if natit works on g3s?

if you are willing to pay postage i can send you a PCI card from a Powermac 9600 to get you up and running (thats if it is the video card thats failed), it will give you a display in osx but is not accelerated, os 9 is fine. it will also need an adapter to connect to a standard VGA monitor but they are pennies on ebay. Im in the uk, pm me if interested.

its an apple OEM version of an iXMicro card i think, it works fine in the 9600 and my biege G3, if yours is a B&W it may be best to check if its compatible.

• 5 weeks later...