Apple Finally Buying AMD CPUs?

darthsian

5 posts in this topic

https://www.techpowerup.com/263647/apple-finally-buying-amd-cpus-pointers-to-ryzens-found-in-macos-beta

"Since its switch to the x86 machine architecture from PowerPC in the mid-2000s, Apple has been consistent with Intel as its sole supplier of CPUs for its Macbooks, iMac desktops, and Mac Pro workstations. The company's relationship with rival AMD has been limited to sourcing discrete GPUs. If pieces of code from a MacOS beta is anything to go buy, Apple could bite the AMD bullet very soon. References to several AMD processors were found in MacOS 10.15.4 Beta 1. These include the company's "Picasso," "Renoir," and "Van Gogh" APUs."

EgOZWhnsCVdz5SOW.jpg

Edited by darthsian
  • Like 9

I'm sure some, or many, of us have been expecting this, considering how well AMD is exectuing on the 7nm parts, and how Intel is struggling to get to 10nm...let alone the amazing raw performance of AMD cpus.  EPYC would be a solid fit for the Mac Pro line.  At the very least, I hope Apple raises the reported simultaneous executable 64 thread ceiling in MacOS soon.  I have a selfish interest in seeing it raised to at least 256 threads.  :P