Catalina on MBR HFS+

PippoX0

9 posts in this topic

With a lot of tries and errors , and with the tricks of CrazyBirdy ,

i was able to install the CAT on my old Rig  - i5/2500k - Intel HD3000 

Many many thanks to CrazyBirdy who give me the right trick to get the result ...

Screen.thumb.png.bffdb30a54fcdf352ea02c5b76b60d51.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Basically now to get Catalina on HFS+

all must be done by copying manually

from 2 Apfs installated partitions to a newly created Mbr HFS+ partition.

BTW

We have to:

1. Create installmedia USB

2. Use Clover

3. Install on Apfs CAT volume

4. Boot again on USB

5. Using terminal, type

ditto /Volumes/CAT/ /Volumes/HFS/

ditto /Volumes/CAT\ - \Data/ /Volumes/HFS

6. Boot HFS in single user mode

7. Mount RW

/sbin/mount - uw /

8. Recreate cache

update_dyld_shared_cache - force

kextcache - system-prelinked-kernel

9. Reboot in HFS and finish installation.

10. That's all...

Or wait for the tool which CrayBirdy is working on to make all easy and errors proof...

See Ya

• Like 2

Tools to install Catalina to MBR HFS+ partition.

Just make it easier now.:D:D

How to finish the Catalina installation.

1. Use EasyMBR-Installer1015 to make USB Catalina Installer.

2. Boot to USB Catalina Installer, open Utilities -> Disk Utility, format as MBR HFS+. 

Install Catalina to blank MBR HFS+ "Target" partition.

3. Boot to USB Catalina Installer, open Utilities -> Terminal, run the script command:
    copytempdata

4. Boot to "Target" MBR HFS+ partition on single user mode (-s), run the script command:
    hfsupdatecache

5. Reboot to "Target" MBR HFS+ partition, setup user name and login, finish the installation.

Edited by crazybirdy
  • Like 4

Leider nicht so "genial wie immer", denn nachdem das System gut als HFS + installiert war, stellte sich dann doch der ganze Fehler heraus.

Nein iCloud konnte nicht installiert werden und cDock funktioniert auch nicht. Viele Apps scheinen das nicht zu tun

APFS ohne Probleme arbeiten. Es kann definitiv nur an der HFS + Konvertierung liegen.

Ich werde meine, speziell für diesen Test freigegebene HFS + Partition löschen, ohne Rückstände zu hinterlassen. Sehr enttäuschend diese Aktion ... Leider.

Testen Sie mit (siehe Signatur) PC-2

Aktualisieren:

Now I'm really angry, what's the @crazybirdy, you publish here a non-working tool, which does not allow any apps installation.

What should that be?

I have now completely fresh on the PC-1 Hackintosh installed and the same, which is just not to install apps, such as my PC-2 Hackintosh.

So take away the stupid tool here, not to use it, before other people hope for a working HFS + installation,

where nothing is going to be installed on apps, no need for humans, such a dilettantischen scrap!

Edited by pinarek
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 6:58 AM, pinarek said:

Leider nicht so "genial wie immer", denn nachdem das System gut als HFS + installiert war, stellte sich dann doch der ganze Fehler heraus.

Nein iCloud konnte nicht installiert werden und cDock funktioniert auch nicht. Viele Apps scheinen das nicht zu tun

APFS ohne Probleme arbeiten. Es kann definitiv nur an der HFS + Konvertierung liegen.

Ich werde meine, speziell für diesen Test freigegebene HFS + Partition löschen, ohne Rückstände zu hinterlassen. Sehr enttäuschend diese Aktion ... Leider.

Testen Sie mit (siehe Signatur) PC-2

Aktualisieren:

Now I'm really angry, what's the @crazybirdy, you publish here a non-working tool, which does not allow any apps installation.

What should that be?

I have now completely fresh on the PC-1 Hackintosh installed and the same, which is just not to install apps, such as my PC-2 Hackintosh.

So take away the stupid tool here, not to use it, before other people hope for a working HFS + installation,

where nothing is going to be installed on apps, no need for humans, such a dilettantischen scrap!

I don't care about what's your opinion.:D

• Like 1

Catalina works either on Apfs or Mbr Hfs+.

And this is good thing, because i use Clover or better Enoch to boot my old rig.

If it doesn't works for someone it doesn't mean that it doesn't work at all.

"The way of lighting is full of tries and errors"

That said

@Pinarek

The error seems to be related to the lack of read and write permission on hfs+ drive.

I can confirm if OS is well installed, Catalina can run well on hfs+.

I can install and remove any app, kext or patch i want...

Edited by PippoX0
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I currently run High Sierra 10.13.6 on a Triple Boot system (Mac, Windows, Linux) and I am booting via Legacy Boot (BIOS) not EFI from a GPT Hybrid MBR Scheme. My High Sierra partition is HFS+ and I would like to upgrade to Catalina.

Is there a way to do this without doing a fresh install given my current setup?

Edited by coolcatco888