Catalina Kext modification for wifi and bluetooth issues

Gigamaxx

9 posts in this topic

Catalina seems to be a read only kext system so modifying kexts to make older hardware work doesn't seem to be possible at this point.   However we have had success using Mojave kexts to get hardware to function.

For bluetooth on Broadcom WiFi cards using injectorkext and adding the Mojave bluetooth kexts to System/Library/Extensions folder seems to have solved the connectability issue.   Install Mojave kexts and use kext utility to repair permissions and caches before reboot.   The Zip contains the Catalina original kexts as a backup in case you want to revert.  

Bluetooth kexts fix.zip

Bluetooth fix pic.png

For Atheros WiFi we are using Mojave modified with High Sierra kexts.   Install in System/Library/Extensions folder and use kext utility to repair.

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 8.44.02 PM.png

Edited by Gigamaxx
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gigamaxx said:

Catalina seems to be a read only kext system so modifying kexts to make older hardware work doesn't seem to be possible at this point.   However we have had success using Mojave kexts to get hardware to function.

So my question is even if we disable SIP from terminal in recovery mode we still can't modify the kexts under Catalina?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

So my question is even if we disable SIP from terminal in recovery mode we still can't modify the kexts under Catalina?

Read only kexts?   

Let me know when you have Atheros installer ready for Catalina, I'll post a link on page one.

1 minute ago, Gigamaxx said:

Read only kexts?   

Let me know when you have Atheros installer ready for Catalina, I'll post a link on page one.

I already uploaded the Atheros Installer for Catalina

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/956-atheros-installer-for-macos-mojave-and-catalina/

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running Catalina on a Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop, and I could fix the Broadcom bluetooth issue by installing the new kexts from the forked Broadcom PatchRAM driver for OS X project. It's installed on Clover instead of S/L/E, so in my case, there was no need to change the system kexts.

I have 3 kexts installed in order to have bluetooth working properly:

- BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

- BrcmFirmwareData.kext

- BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext

Note that, the last kext (BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext) shouldn't be installed with the first 2 in my list (as per instruction on the project). But if I don't install them all, bluetooth won't fully work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 5:54 AM, golimpio said:

I'm running Catalina on a Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop, and I could fix the Broadcom bluetooth issue by installing the new kexts from the forked Broadcom PatchRAM driver for OS X project. It's installed on Clover instead of S/L/E, so in my case, there was no need to change the system kexts.

I have 3 kexts installed in order to have bluetooth working properly:

- BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

- BrcmFirmwareData.kext

- BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext

Note that, the last kext (BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext) shouldn't be installed with the first 2 in my list (as per instruction on the project). But if I don't install them all, bluetooth won't fully work.

Headkaze modified the source so you can install those 3 kext at the same time if needed.

Edited by ellaosx
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Great and thanks! Finally everything working on Catalina.

I am running OS X 10.15.1 with this card:

LENOVO YOGA 3 PRO/2 13/710/Y50-70/Touch 04X6020 BCM94352Z

To get bluetooth to work I had to put these kexts inside EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext

BrcmPatchRAM3.kext

BrcmFirmwareData.kext

First I tried with BrcmPatchRAM2.kext but bluetooth was not working. I have a little different versions than you have:

USB-->

BCM20702A0:

Product ID: 0x6417

Vendor ID: 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.)

Version: 1.12

Bluetooth-->

Firmware version: v14 c5876

These cards are getting expensive. I see they are twice the price on ebay as when I bought. I have had great success with Dell DW1560 but they are also very expensive. If you don't have room (height) for a MacBookAir wifi card with adapter I would would go for that or the Lenovo card. The 1820A is cheaper but gave me too many challenges to get to work. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello guys thanks for sharing all these threads. I'm sharing my Config and Kexts to anyone that needs that has any issues with Vision Z490 but
I need some help from you the ones that have more knowledge than I. I'm not well versed in Hackintosh matters. I just got lucky and start to make run a new build with Catalina and Z490 Vision. I've been using FEnvi and it is straight forward with Wifi and Bt. but the latter is too weak that only connects with the apple keyboard, but not with midi controllers, not with the Bose headphones that I have. I know I can solve much of this with an extension antenna...

But what I really want to do is to use a genuine BCM94360CD and a BCM94331CD that sounded better to have something genuine and that is supposed to let me use the apple keyboard from the boot BIos but nothing happened, I don't know what extra step I need to do, so...I installed then and I had Bluetooth out of the box with the same problem of weak signal but not wifi. I didn't change my Config.Plist (I'm using Open Core 0.5.9) so my question to you if any can shed some light on Which kexts to add to the EFi and which to remove and what it has to be changed in the config in order to make it run natively.
As I mentioned. I'm lost.

I really appreciate anyone who can give me a hand. I'm putting my config and screens of the kexts I have in the EFI folder: BT4LEContinutyFixup, Intelbluetoothfirmware, Intelbluetoothinjector and the ones I downloaded to replace or to add, really don't know. : Airportbrcm4360_injector and AirportBcrmNIC

I add those to the config I think they didn't work along the others cos I lost Wifi and BT also.

BEst Regards and thanks again.

Configplist.zip

Edited by virtualevans