Mojave on Dell Latitude E6410 With Working Sleep

deeveedee

188 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

I hope others with Latitude E6410s are having the same experience as I am.  I can't believe that a 2010 laptop is this good and runs Mojave so perfectly.  This laptop is truly a pleasure to use.

I can testify, sleep is working nicely!

And for my Mavericks partition too! 

I have 3 2010 different machines with Mac OS and the Latitude Notebook always was my good boy.

Thank you again, man.

Edit: one last question is about NTFS R/W partitions.

I can not use NTFS partition without third party softwares (like paragon ntfs or tuxera).

Theres a recommended driver in Clover folder like GrubNTFS.efi or NTFS.efi that I can use in this laptop? Thanks.

Edited by vbmota

Glad to hear that sleep is working well for you.  I'm amazed at how well this laptop works.

What happens when you try opening an NTFS partition in Mojave Finder (without any software)?

EDIT: Just re-read your post and see you need R/W.  I assume you found that you can read NTFS.  Not sure how to write.

I previously posted my 2-disk solution for dual-booting Windows 10 and macOS.  Part of that 2-disk solution includes using Paragon Partition Manager (in Windows) to create an HFS+ partition on the second disk (the Windows disk) installed in the modular bay.  I have confirmed that this HFS+ partition on the second disk works with Time Machine.

Did someone else have this verbose?

"

"name" not a kext

"FailedCLUT" not a kext

"FailedImage" not a kext

"

Edit: theres more one error (I presume is a DSDT edit one) with APCIBatteryManager:

"ACPIBatteryManager: ACPIACAdapter: ACPI method _PSR failed"

Edited by vbmota

@vbmota Try googling your errors (e.g. Google "name" not a kext).  You will find that these are common in syslog.  Looks to me as though the errors you mentioned can be ignored.  Let me know if you find otherwise.

I was using a ACPIBatteryManager version 1.9 and get this error checked by dmesg at terminal...

Now I changed for version 1.7.20 and no more errors are showing at terminal, just Warnings like:

ACPIBatteryManager: WARNING! fCurrentCapacity > fMaxCapacity. adjusted fCurrentCapacity from 7200, to 4056

Ok.  Google "ACPIBatteryManager: ACPIACAdapter: ACPI method _PSR failed"

You will find that Rehabman commented on this in another thread.  Let us know if you find a fix (if one is needed).

@Nodarkthings I was looking back at old posts from June 2019 (another forum) where I had first started exploring sleep and audio solutions for this Latitude E6410.  I was reminded that you were one of the first to suggest (to me) NVidia drivers as being related to the sleep problem and you had provided an audio example that replaced AppleALC with VoodooHDA.  Thanks for your contributions that resulted in this successful installation of macOS on the Latitude E6410!

Successfully applied 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2 to my HackbookPro 6,2 by doing the following:

1. Backup (I use Carbon Copy)
  2. Create a Mojave Installer USB using Dosdude Mojave Patcher version 1.33 (if you don't have one already)
  3. Install Supplemental Update 2 (System Preferences > Software Update)
  4. Allow system to reboot and follow prompts to complete installation
  5. Reboot from the Mojave Installer USB
  6. Run Post Install Utility
  7. Select only the Legacy Graphics Patch
  8. Reboot
  9. From terminal, run 'sudo kextcache -i /'
  10. Reboot
Edited by tonyx86

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found my first "issue" with this HackBookPro6,2.  If I enable Caps Lock, disabling Caps Lock may require more than one key press.  Has anyone else seen this?  I'm wondering whether it's VoodooPS2Controller.kext or the physical Caps Lock key.

@vbmota R6 fixed the problem and enabled Trackpad Pref Pane.  Very cool.  I was reading the OSXLatitude Thread for Refined ALPS Trackpad and noticed that someone posted a DSDT patch for brightness.  I didn't read much, but it looked to me like it would be the fix required to get the brightness slider working.  Might be a future experiment.  Thanks for the R6 suggestion.  I'll make the change in post #1.

• Like 1

I haven't updated to the next major release of macOS until it is required to upgrade XCode, so it may be a while before i try Catalina.  When I do try, I will do the following:

1. Perform a full system backup (Carbon Copy)
  2. Attemp an upgrade from Mojave via System Preferences > Software Update and then apply dosdude patches using dosdude's post install utility
  3. If that doesn't work, I'll attempt to update Mojave by using the Catalina USB Installer (patched with Dosdude patcher) and then apply dosdude patches using the post install utility.
  4. If that doesn't work, I'll perform a clean install of Catalina (using the Catalina USB Installer created with Dosdude patcher) and apply dosdude post install patches

Only to be an example, at my Dell Optiplex 780 with Mojave running absolutely normal, I am tried the 4th step you spoke above but the first phase (about 10 minutes) pass but it reboots without any question and continues the second phase (estimating about 32 minutes) and crash/reboot. I will continue testing on this old Core2Quad after mess with my Latitude to see the many errors can be possible to solve.

I admire you for your courage!  I am not so bold and allow the process and updates to mature for a while before trying.  There will be A LOT of revisions and lessons learned - that's about the only thing of which I can be sure.  When the process and updates are mature, I suspect that the Catalina install process will be exactly the same as the Mojave installation process described in this thread (same DSDT, same SSDTs, same kexts).

EDIT: I might have a suggestion for you - before that final reboot, use dosdude's Catalina patcher post install utility to apply the patches.  If they don't work and you experience crashes (again), re-run the post install utility, re-apply the patches and choose the "Force rebuild cache" option.

Finaly after using that flags in Clover it could start the second phase and finished install.

Success with basic kexts. Intellmausi is not working for my desktop so using the old AppleIntelE1000e.kext (v. 3.3.6 from 18/10/2017) my network is live.

Sorry for this offtopic post but I had to share my success with someone...

All Apple ID services are online nicely. :D

photo4967557091950700617.jpg

photo4967975743887878233.jpg

• Like 1

Only for fun, this Catalina USB 2.0 disk boots on my Latitude E6510 (with DSDT and kexts using this guide by @tonyx86), after installing it on another Dell desktop.

The USB was the only way cause I dont have any spare SSD... but loads (slowly obviously).

Cheers... and long life to E6000 series.

catalina usb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Attached is an updated DSDT for the Latitude E6410.  Details are as follows.

I have noticed that the Latitude E6410 screen may briefly go "white" on system restart.  The white screen is not really a problem, but I believe it indicates a flaw in the way I applied the discrete graphics _OFF() logic.  I suspect this white screen is because I was calling the discrete graphics _OFF() function at the beginning of _PTS() (before other restart functions have completed).  I moved _OFF() to the end of _PTS() ( note I also had to move _ON() to the end of _WAK() as described earlier in this thread).  I believe that this change has fixed the white-screen issue.  This change does not affect shutdown (and I've never observed a white screen during shutdown), because  _OFF() is not called in _PTS() when shutting down.

EDIT: This fix appears to have resolved another issue that I had observed: Occasionally, when I would restart from Mojave and boot High Sierra, I would experience a white screen.  This would resolve itself, but it always made me wonder.  I suspect that the incorrect placement of _OFF() in _PTS() left the discrete graphics in a bad state from the previous session.  With this fix, I don't experience the white screen when switching from Mojave to High Sierra.

DSDT.zip

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 1

I have added the following "known issue" to Post #1 of this thread:  After applying Mojave updates, HWMonitor may not display discrete graphics attributes.  On systems with multiple displays, a second (or third) display may not be active after applying the Mojave update.  The solution to this is to run "sudo kextcache -i /" (in a terminal window) and reboot.  This will usually fix the issue.  If the issue is not fixed, run DosDude's Post Install Utility, apply the Legacy Graphics Patch, reboot and then run "sudo kextcache -i /" if necessary.

• Like 1

It appreciate just how much work went into the DosDude patcher.  The patcher greatly simplifies all of the "behind-the-scenes" Mojave changes.  Starting with 10.14.4 (and subsequently 10.14.5 and 10.14.6), applying Mojave patches and security updates to my four systems (Thinkpad T61, Latitude E6410, DIY socket 1156/9800GT and DIY socket 775/8600GT) required no more than a "sudo kextcache -i /" or re-applying DosDude post-install  patch after applying the Mojave update.