Fanless Mode RX570

blxkspell

8 posts in this topic

Hey!

As I have 3 Monitors connected, my RX 570 gets arround 50°C while ideling/ web browsing etc. The problem is, that this temp is apparently just the threshold, when the fans start to spin. So the fans start spinning for a minute then they stop for a while again... This is very annoying for me as the rest of my hackintosh is nearly quiet (SSD, 120mm low RPM cpu fan, nearly silent PSU,...), especially when Im using the pc to revise for school. Does somebody know wether its possible to "change" the threshold till the fans start spinning? Like it would probably not be a problem for the gpu at all, if the temp rises to 55°C but therefore be soundless....

Edited by blxkspell

2 minutes ago, blxkspell said:

my issiue isnt related to osx, its probably set in the driver or the bios of the gpu i guess

The fan curve is set in VBIOS, you either need to use a Polaris BIOS editor to change the fan curve and then re-flash the GPU with the edited VBIOS which is a bit risky and will void your warranty or you need to use apps like AfterBurner which aren't available for macOS.

8 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

The fan curve is set in VBIOS, you either need to use a Polaris BIOS editor to change the fan curve and then re-flash the GPU with the edited VBIOS

Thank you for ur answer, I found the attached screenshot. Would adjusting these values solve my problem? Do you know which ones exactly?

srbpolaris.jpg

1 minute ago, blxkspell said:

Thank you for ur answer, I found the attached screenshot. Would adjusting these values solve my problem? Do you know which ones exactly?

You're welcome,

you can change the Min temp from 40 to let's say 45 or 50 but before changing anything make a backup of the current VBIOS and make sure that you know how to recover from a bad flash otherwise you will brick your GPU.

ok so I did a backup and i also raised the value to 40 , 50 and even 55 but it didnt change a thing. I use a gpu benchmark for macos and the fans still turn on at exactly 52°C and are disabled again when the temp decreases to 47°C or lower. On top of that my pc wont display clover anymore so i have to guess the selection of the drives when i want to boot into windows/ macos. Im trying to flash back the old rom now... thanks anyway

As its probably to complicated to change the VBIOS, does someone know wether its normal that my gpu clock is constantly at the max frequency? I use the following terminal command to monitor gpu temp/clock:

while sleep 2; do clear;ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock'; done

And I can see that it moves from 1100 to 1224 MHz all the time, even when doing ABSOLUTELY nothing... Thats probably causing all the heat.