3rd Party SATA Controller Marvell/ ASMedia

asharkey

4 posts in this topic

Okay So I have two PCIe controller cards, both 3rd party, unbranded from eBay.

1st runs off the Marvell 88SE92xx chipset.  4 Internal Ports.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PCI-E-PCI-Express-to-SATA3-0-4Port-SATA-III-6G-Expansion-Controller-Card-Adapter/264029216955?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2nd runs off the ASMedia ASM1061 chipset. 2 Internal/ 2 External Ports (selectable by jumpers)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PCI-E-To-SATA3-PCI-E-SATA3-0-6Gb-s-the-SSD-Asmedia-Chip-Expansion-Card-ASM1061/191572577652?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The hack is running stable no issues on 10.4.2 with an i7 8700k ASUS Maximus X Code as iMac 18,3

However, I wanted to add eSATA ports for some older drive enclosures I own, and some extra internal SATA ports as I've used all the SATA ports on the Motherboard.

The 1st Marvell actually works OOB in Mac OSX.  No kexts needed.  Speeds seem good (350R/400W on an SSD 80R/W on a 5400 HDD)

However, a few things don't seem perfect.

1) the AHCI version is 1.0.  I imagine this could and should be a newer version? 1.2 or 1.31? If it should be updated, is this something only able to be flashed from a Windows OS?

2) It can't be used as a boot option.  the Maximus doesn't recognise it as a startup option.  Is this a possible AHCI version firmware issue?  Is booting ever possible from these controllers? 

3) TRIM was disabled in system profile. I know it automatically worked OOB for my NVME2 drives connected to the motherboard,  But to enable Trim on an SSD 860 EVO I needed to submit the terminal command:

sudo trimforce enable

Now the second ASMedia controller I haven't been able to get to work.  I've switched the jumpers (not sure which position is the 1,2,3) so I've made it so that one internal and one external will operate to test the card.

System profiler sees the card like all the others as a "Generic AHCI Controller" with AHCI version 1.20 supported.

However, I cannot get any drive to be recognised in the eSATA ports.  I haven't tested the internal ports as I don't need these.

I've attempted using two kexts (attached) AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext and AHCIPortInjector.kext

When I use AHCIPortInjector.kext the SATA device is recognised in system profiler as an ASM1062.  However no drive works with this kext.  And reading the chip itself on the card it says ASM1061.  So not sure why it's preferring the 1062 entry over the 1061 since both are present in the kext.

When I use AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext that SATA device is not recognised at all in the system profiler.  It disappears.

I'm not using a custom DSDT for this motherboard and I've attached my config.plist if anyone has some insight on either cards.

Cheers,

Shark

config-NOSN.plist

AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext.zip

AHCIPortInjector.kext.zip

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi guys, I have Asus Strix H270F M/B based desktop running 10.15.6 booted from OC 0.6.1 It has 6 original SATA ports and I have 4 port ASMedia ASM1062 adapter like this one for additional SATA devices. Unfortunately, I can see only 2 ports out of 4. I tried AHCIPortInjector.kext as well as AppleAHCIPort kext patch nothing helps. 

Any idea how to make work all the ports?

Edited by Dmitry R

On 9/8/2020 at 11:45 PM, Dmitry R said:

Hi guys, I have Asus Strix H270F M/B based desktop running 10.15.6 booted from OC 0.6.1 It has 6 original SATA ports and I have 4 port ASMedia ASM1062 adapter like this one for additional SATA devices. Unfortunately, I can see only 2 ports out of 4. I tried AHCIPortInjector.kext as well as AppleAHCIPort kext patch nothing helps. 

Any idea how to make work all the ports?

Found the problem. I made a typo while transferring the patch from Clover to OC. After correction the patch works properly.