Almost Successful ASUS Maximus X Code i7 8700k AMD RX 580

asharkey

6 posts in this topic

Hello Everybody,

First Hack here, and I have a fresh vanilla install with Mojave 10.14.2 closely following this vanilla installation:
https://hackintosh.gitbook.io/-r-ha...p-guide/config.plist-per-hardware/coffee-lake

I was surprised how well it worked initially with the above suggested settings. Only a few minor things (USB SSDT, signing the Bluetooth Kext, and switching from VritualSMC to FakeSMC) needed to be adjusted to get were I am currently.

I built this machine to be a video editing/photography workstation. And so far pretty happy but would really appreciate if anyone has any knowledge or solutions with the few problems I'm still experiencing:

1) FIXED (SEE COMMENT BELOW)
Sleep issues waking up from sleep (maybe due to the ASMEDIA USB controller)

-FIX WAS UNRELATED TO ASMEDIA CONTROLLER BUT DUE TO PREFERENCE OF "ALLOW BLUETOOTH DEVICE TO WAKE THIS COMPUTER"/ AN EXTERNAL USB 3 to SATA Cable for Hot plugging SSD's/2.5" HDD's.  With USB to SATA adapter unplugged/ Bluetooth preference changed, Mac now sleeps uninterrupted.

2)
The ASMEDIA USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports ejecting after sleep

3)
Am I currently using the correct setup for graphic acceleration with a connector-less ID for the UHD 630 and Radeon RX580? Specifically for optimized performance with FCPX. 

4)
Normal Power Consumption?

I've attached my config.plist, ioreg.zip from RUNME app, SSDT-UIAC.aml (created using Rehabman Method), and my DSDT.aml (from this post for the Maximus x code courtesy of @MaLd0n ) If anyone has the time to take a look and maybe shed some light if I've done something wrong that be awesome.

And for anyone looking to build a similar machine, I would highly recommend it, and feel free to use these settings. If these minor last things are addressed, this is a really solid hack.

Cheers,
Shark

Detailed below is What is Not Working, The Build/BIOS Setup/Install Process, and What is Working.

NOT WORKING:
1) Sleep:

If I put the computer to sleep, or it falls asleep on it's own, it wakes up immediately after sleep.

I’m getting these errors in terminal trying to figure this out using the following two commands:

Command: pmset -g
sleep 10 (sleep prevented by powerd, sharingd)

Command: log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"
localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XHC

Here are my current settings:
Clover:
Boot -> Darkwake=0 (tried 1 and 2 as well)
Energy Saver Settings: 
Nothing Checked EXCEPT Put Hard disk to sleep when possible

Would like Power Nap Enabled for the purpose of Time Machine, but doesn’t seem to be an option with Hackintosh?

Using Terminal I have disabled the following:
sudo pmset -a ttyskeepawake 0
sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

2) USB 3.1 Gen 2

For the 2.0/3.0 Intel Chipset, I’ve tried both the 
@headkaze Intel FB-Patcher v 1.6.8 and @RehabMan instructions on creating a SSDT. The FB-Patcher did not work completely. So I continued with @RehabMan method, created a SSDT, and sacrificed 2 x usb 2.0 ports and 1 internal RGB LED header to reach my 15 port max with 3.0 speeds on all SS ports.

The ASMEDIA Ports work OOB with full 3.1 speeds. However the Eject issue can only be resolved by using an App like Jettison. And using that app doesn’t solve the sleep issue, computer still wakes. I’d rather figure out why the disks keep ejecting on sleep and if fixing issue #1 would resolve issue #2 or vice versa?

Do I possibly need a power management ssdt? And how would I create one for the ASMEDIA chip?

I've now tried using the attached DSDT.aml in my Patched folder.  I can now see it's working as my PCI devices in System Profiler are now populating (before it was stating no PCI devices).  However still experiencing sleep and eject issues.

Ioreg Reads for the ASMEDIA 3.1 controller as:

The 3.1 controllers for the back USB gen 2 ports are controlled by:
RP05@1C,4/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@01000000
PRT1@01100000 (type C) (3.1 speeds)
PRT2@01200000 (type A) (3.1 speeds)
PRT3@01300000 (type C) (2.0 speeds)
PRT4@01400000 (type A) (2.0 speeds)

The 1 x 3.1 type C port on the front panel is controlled by:
RP07@1C,6/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@01000000
HS01@00300000 (2.0 speed)
SS01@00100000 (3.1 Speed) 

There is also a SS02@0010000 under this controller, and as far as I can tell it does not have a function. Is there a way to disable, such as when creating an Intel Chipset SSDT?

3) FINAL CUT ISSUES/ GRAPHIC ACCELERATION:
Currently it doesn’t appear that the IGPU UHD 630 is doing much in iStats. In Apple System Profile/ Activity Monitor GPU window I only see RX580, no UHD 630. Is this how it should be? Or is that what connector-less ID should look like?

With FCPX there is no crashing, glitchy exports, or rendering issues, however not sure if Graphic acceleration is being used to its fullest potential.
The IGPU uses 5-8% Memory/ Processor when playing/scrubbing in timeline.
And only 5-10% of the IGPU Memory (no processor) is used during any render or export of footage. The RX580 is still doing most of the hard work. My Bruce X times are quick 14-18 seconds, but I’m curious as to why the IGPU isn’t doing any of the lifiting. Is this expected? I'm pretty happy with how Lightroom and Final Cut are performing, I just want to make sure I've set the hardware up correctly.

4) Power Consumption
I have a general understanding of building computers, but not an expert especially with first time building a Hackintosh, overclocking, timings, voltages, etc…

In HWMonitor the CPU Package Core reads blank, CPU Package Total is anywhere from 3.52w to 4.8w, the CPU Package DRAM is anywhere from 1.12 – 5.08. 

Is this normal, or high? My temperatures seem fine and idle between 45-57 C, And Max shortly at 85 during stress tests.

So just not sure if the CPU Power Consumption HWmonitor reporting is normal or abnormal. I've attached two HWmonitor screenshots 1 normal idle cpu, one while FCP rendering.

THE INSTALL…
Kexts Used:
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleALC.kext
BRCMFirmwareData.kext
BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
USBInjectAll.kext 
WhateverGreen.kext
XHCI-unsupported.kext

BUILD:
ASUS ROG Maximus X CODE
i7 8700k OC’d to 4800
2 x 16gb Corsair Vegeance LPX DDR4 2400mhz C16 OC’d to 2666mhz
Sapphire RX 580 NITRO+ 8Gb Graphics Card
BCM94352Z Dell DW1560 (Wifi and Bluetooth Both Natively Working with Rehabman Kexts)
BeQuiet! Darkrock Pro 4 
EVGA 650w g1+
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Samsung 28” E590DS (DP), Samsung 24” D300 (HDMI), Samsung 22” Syncmaster (DVI), Sony Bravia 48” (HDMI)

Pre Install BIOS Settings:
Updated Bios to Version 1704
Loaded Optimized Defaults 
AI Overclocker Tuner > Manual
Extreme Tweeking > Enable
Advanced \ System Agent(SA) Configuration 
IGPU Multi-Monitor : Enabled
Advanced \ System Agent (SA) Configuration Vt-d: Disabled
System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > PEG
USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > AUTO
USB Configuration > Keyboard and Mouse Simulation > Disabled
APM Configuration > Power on by PCI - E/PCI > Disabled
CSM: Disabled 
Fast Boot > Disabled
Boot Logo Display > Disabled
Secure Boot > OS Type > Other OS
DVMT Pre-Allocated > 128M

WORKING:
ICLOUD, iMessages, Handoff, etc

Nitro+ 8GB GPU:

4 Displays (DVI, DP, HDMI 1&2) from RX580 with Audio
Currently set to 1920 resolution, but have option to use up to 4k resolution (3840x2160)
Audio over DP and HDMI
*Not sure if Airplay works as I don’t have an Apple TV, but registers in System Bar and say's looking...

IGPU:
Set in Connectorless State (AAPL,ig-platform-id: 0300923E)
*If in a Connected State, slows down Bruce 5k Exports to well over a minute, with glitches, and does not send display signal to DP or HDMI (just green screen), even with connector type patch to correct type. So keeping it connectorless.
*Not sure if Graphic acceleration is really working as FCPX is struggling with Multicam original media. This could just be the GH5 4k file encoding that FCPX struggles with. Was just hoping to remove creating proxy media from my workflow.

Audio Front/ Back
All working:
Digital Optical Out 
Back Green - Internal Speakers
Front Headphones - Internal Speakers automatically changes to Headphones when plugged in
Back Mic (Internal Microphone, not Line In)
Front Mic (Internal Microphone, changes to a 2nd Line In)

Bluetooth
After initial install Bluetooth was seen by Mac System but not recognising any devices
Thanks to 
@RehabMan Entered following code in terminal and bluetooth now works:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

I've now enabled this in my config.plist as well.

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM/blob/master/README-Mac.md
(unsigned kernel extensions need to be enabled. Take the following steps in the Terminal)

FANS/ TEMPS
Temps or Fans were not registering with TG Pro using VirtualSMC.kext
Fixed by switching from VIRTUALSMC.kext with older FAKESMC.kext with sensor gauges kexts. All working now.
Computer Idles between 46 and 52 Celcius. Hits 81-87 when stress testing.

USB 2.0/3.0 
It appears that are physically too many USB ports on the Asus Maximus Code X to ever work with the 15 port limit safely. I created a custom SSDT that disabled USB 2.0 hs07(L),HS08(ML),12(aura led controller) to get usb 3.0 speeds on ss04,ss05, and ss06
Be curious if anyone ever found a workaround for this...

Overclocking:
RAM:
2400mhz to 2666mhz with Manual DRAM frequency change in BIOS. Did not change Latency or Timing and no crashing or panics so far. The 2666mhz speed is recognised in About this Mac and the Novabench RAM score increased.
*Please advise if this method of overclocking the RAM is unadvisable.

CPU:
4.8ghz @ 75F @ 50% (Prime 95 test)
Followed these BIOS steps:

config_ValuesImac.plist

DSDT.aml

Send me Values-iMac.zip

SSDT-UIAC.aml

1-idle.png

2-fcp-render.png

Edited by valueimagery
Re Sleep: updated the correct error response from terminal
  • Like 2

Okay so after posting in this thread:

I can successfully say I have figured out the culprit for the wake from sleep!

After updating the Maximus X Code's BIOS to version 1801 and experiencing no difference with or without the Patched DSDT I decided it was time to unplug every USB device in the Intel Chipset and see what happens.

With the DSDT patch removed, and all USB devices/hubs unplugged, the computer still immediately woke form sleep.

After disabling the preference "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake this computer" the computer stayed asleep!

Not a deal breaker, but any idea why this would happen?  My SSDT-UIAC.aml does have the correct connection type (255) for the bluetooth controller.  At the end of the day I can live with pushing power to wake my computer, but is this normal for most Hackintoshes?

Then I tested each Device/Port by port one by one.  And found that one USB 3.0 to SATA adapter for SSD's/2.5" HDD's was another culprit.  Whenever a drive was plugged into this, the computer woke from sleep immediately.  Which I'm guessing can explain the wake reason I was constantly getting in my sleep log:

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XHC

However, the BIOS update did not resolve the issue of the ASMEDIA Gen 2 Ports ejecting devices after sleep.

I'm using Jettison to temporarily resolve the issue and safely eject those external drives.

So still searching for a solution to the eject issue...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I see your Mac working fine! A little hot the processor, but not danger. Try reduce a little the voltage  to 1,36 and AVX at 4700. Mine works at 60-70  celsius rendering in DaVinci Resolve for half an hour or Apple Compressor.

I have very similar system and AS media is setting off. It doesn't mother in my case.

15 hours ago, Picasso said:

Hi, I see your Mac working fine! A little hot the processor, but not danger. Try reduce a little the voltage  to 1,36 and AVX at 4700. Mine works at 60-70  celsius rendering in DaVinci Resolve for half an hour or Apple Compressor.

I have very similar system and AS media is setting off. It doesn't mother in my case.

thanks for your input.  I think I'm pretty happy with my hack for now.  running smooth and fast.  

My voltage is set at 1.3 already.  so are you suggesting maybe lower the overclock from 4.8 to 4.7?

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi!

Yes. I suggest you put your AVX to 4.7. Only AVX. The processor could stay at 4.8 or even 4.9.

Remember in the bios is a negative value form the MHZ. Example 1 or 2, depends your MHZ. I am using right now 4.8 and AVX minus 1.

Check with Intel power an exporting with Handbreak (free) and I think you could stay 5 degrees less.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys... 
I need your help!! 
These are nights I don't sleep...  :(
I'm going crazy!!  :wallbash:
I can't understand where I'm wrong... 
After creating the USB installer and properly configuring the BIOS (literally following your guide), restart the PC, the apple appears and the progress bar below, but at 1/3 the PC is reboot (I used your pre packaged EFI). 
Even at the hardware level I did the following tests WITHOUT success:
- disconnect the USB cable from the Corsair Hi150 pump
- booting the installer with the 2 memory banks in position A1 and A2 (normally they are in A2 and B2)
- use the USB 2.0 ports for the USB installer
I do not know what to do...
Is it possible that my RAM is incompatible with HACKINTOSH?
This is my configuration:
- Mainboard: Asus Rog Maximus X Code
- CPU: Intel i7-8700K
- Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO
- RAM: 2 x Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB Ddr4 2666 8Gb (BLE8G4D26AFEA)
- HD: Samsung 960Evo M2 Nvme (with windows 10 and I don't want to involve it)
- HD: Samsung 850Evo SSD SATA (HERE I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL HACKINTOSH!!)
- HD: Seagate SATA 2TB + Intel Optane Series 32GB SSD on M.2 slot
- DVD-RW: iHAS 124 b
- NO other dedicated card like video, audio, wifi, etc.  I ONLY USE THOSE ONBOARD !!
- Monitor: MSI Optix MAG27CQ
I hope you can help me!!! 
Many thanks in advance...