Asus Maximus XI Hero and i9900k installation

mr_christer

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I wanted to share my build with everyone who is thinking of upgrading to the newest Coffee Lake Generation and z390.

Components

Intel i7 9900k Processor
Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wifi)
Noctua NH-D15
EVGA SuperNova 1000w Power Supply
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
Fractal Design Define C Black Silent Compact ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Samsung 970 1TB
EVGA Geforce 1070 SC

Notes

The machine is being used mainly for video editing of Raw footage so I needed a powerful 8 threads processor and an Nvidia card for better compatibility with Adobe Premiere. I picked components that will be good to overclock the machine down the road. I recommend checking out DerBauer's video if you plan to run this beast on 5 Ghz.

For installation I mainly followed Stork's Guide for the Z370
I'm using High Sierra 10.13.6 since I use an Nvidia Card. I partitioned the SSD for dual booting Windows and Mac.

Here is the gist of it:
(I had some trouble during various steps of installation mostly due to faulty configuration)

- FIRST MAKE SURE YOU DISABLE SECURE BOOT. It's a little different than on Hero X but not too hard to figure out. You have to do this to be able to boot from USB -

1. Create High Sierra USB installer for [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (make sure APFS.efi gets installed. Note 19 on this post finally got me a working USB installer key)
2. Boot with -v and nv_disable=1 in Clover Boot Options
3. Create a 500GB parititon for High Sierra (APFS)
4. Create a 500GB Fat32 partition to use later with Windows
5. Install OSX
6. Boot into High Sierra with USB Clover (still nv_disable=1)
7. Follow Stork's guide to install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] kext.
8. Update OS if you are not on 10.13.6 and install NVIDIA Web driver corresponding to your version of 10.13.6
9. You can find the kexts to get audio working over here
10. To get restart and shutdown working I used slide=0 and Emu 64 driver from clover.
11. Here is my EFI folder for anyone interested
12. To install Windows, make sure you use check GPT partition when creating the USB install media with Rufus. After that you can just launch the usb installer and install normally, reformatting the FAT32 drive we created earlier.
13. One last note: Parallels Bootcamp works with my Windows partition. Make sure you enable Intel Virtualization Technology in BIOS (Leave VT-d disabled!)

Good Luck!