GA-X79s-up5 wifi with rx580 nitro+ SE. no cpu states, only 2 DP ports work

pduke

13 posts in this topic

first things first, my rig
Gigabyte GA-X79s-up5 wifi
i7 3930K

16GB gskill ddr3 ram

corsair RM750 PSU

So I had 10.13.6 on my GA-X79s-up5 wifi coupled with a GTX970 and life was great for me. nearly EVERYTHING worked like a charm on my 3 monitor setup (except sleep of course)

and now Mojave reached .2 version and Black Friday Santa brought me a Sapphire RX580+ SE. So I replaced my GPU and updated to 10.14.2

Ok it is not that bad, but it is not good.

I have only two monitors working, the two DPs. The HDMIs and the DVI give black screen no matter what.

And my CPU works on max power all the time.

The exact same thing (the two DP) happens on my old cloned 10.13.6 install.

So both in High Sierra and Mojave I have only two monitors, plus in Mojave I get no CPU states.

So far for the GPU I have tried :

Lilu, whatevergreen

the AMD4500 kext patch

orinoco

connecting the card only with one 2x6pin to 1x8pin cable

all the above in all combinations

and some suggestions that I don't remember.

No Luck.

for the CPU I have tried ...nothing. I am upgrading X79s since El Capitan. it is always the same but the patched kexts are coming out sooner or later. I couldn't find anything for Mojave.

I was so sure about this update. Apple has sapphire rx 580 listed in the cards supported (!!! ) and my kext patches work great for my CPU power management since 10.13.1. But then again few things roll easy on this world.

any help will be appreciated.

cheers all

EDIT: ioreg and clover uploaded

CLOVER.zip

pduke Mac Pro.zip

Edited by pduke

ok so i made some progress today.

What is fixed

CPU power managment

that was easy. just installed Nullcpupowermanagment.kext and to my surprise it worked in a snap. I have turbo and everything (up to 4.2)
So i disabled all my kext patches related to Cpupowermanagment.kext

Audio

I haven't mentioned this cause i could connect my external audio card, but i had no audio from my ALC898. 
Easy. Installed AppleALC.kext and replaced my AppleHDA.kext with a clean original mojave one. (i tried to extract mine from the mojave installer using Pacifist but it couldn't recognise that i had an installation file in my applications). Anyway i found one online and i am uploading here as well if anyone needs it.

I had to do that cause my mojave installation comes as an updat from High Sierra and back in 10.13 i had pathed my AppleHDA.kext in order to have audio.

What is not fixed

Multimonitor 3 or more

This hurts. I am working with 3 displays for about 2 years now. I couldn't imagine how is life without them. In fact i trully believe that if i had 6 monitors i would have find something to do with each one of them and i couldn't return to even...5. So now with 2 i feel trapped in a box.

The situation is strange. after hours or tests the best combinations is whatevergreen.kext alone. No injectATI and no orinoco framebuffer.
The closest i have been to 3 displays is if i start up with my two displays on the 2 DP ports and a third on DVI but with its power off. So when i boot like this i can see all 3 monitors in About this Mac > Displays and as soon as i turn on the third everything freezes EXCEPT OF THE MOUSE CURSOR!!!! 

So at this point i quit for today. Paranoia is knocking at my door.

if anyone has any ideas or experience with the same card, PLEASE share.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Edited by pduke

Solution! 

Check: injectATi

Set: FB Name = Orinoco

Set: Video Ports = 5

advised to not load whatevergreen but it could depend on the setup

All 4 ports working

HDMI audio working

All working great. this topic os solved

Edited by pduke
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey PDuke,  We have very similar rigs and I was wondering how you got the USB's to work.  Looks like I might have a good install but as soon as Clover loads the ports go dead and although I can see the login screen that I have.  I can't use the mouse of keyboard using any port.  Any pointers. 

• 2 months later...

Hi PDuke I also have a x79s- up5 wifi and i7 3930k but with GTX770. Just before the installer loads it reboots so haven't even gotten to post install. Do yo u have a config list I could download for High Sierra? Or any tips. Not sure what I am doing wrong at this point. Thanks in advance!

Edited by flakkebos

On 3/30/2019 at 6:17 AM, flakkebos said:

Hi PDuke I also have a x79s- up5 wifi and i7 3930k but with GTX770. Just before the installer loads it reboots so haven't even gotten to post install. Do yo u have a config list I could download for High Sierra? Or any tips. Not sure what I am doing wrong at this point. Thanks in advance!

Hey there, i found my - or one of my..- 10.13.6 clover folder, so i am posting the whole thing and you can use what you want from it. 
Remember to generate a new unused serial at SMBIOS and follow some guide if imessage doesn't work. Although it might run fine with my setups. 
i got a bunch of backup kexts as well in BAK folder, just in case. Unfortunatelly i do not remember which kexts i had installed in L/E folder....
My SSDT-1  in ACPI/Patched is set to 4.2 cause i have my 3930 on stock but with turbo to 4.2. It is stable as a rock so i suggest you try it. Still if you use stock i have a stock SSDT-1 to replace it. Also another SSDT for XEON E5-2670... it was there... i left it, you never know. It works fine with my Xeon.

Clover Themes folder is missing so just copy yours.

plist is set for NVIDIA with web drivers. i do not rember if 770 needs them or inject nvidia.

I hope it works. 

Do report back to this thread. 

Cheers!

CLOVER.10.13.6.zip

Edited by pduke

• 1 year later...

Hi PDuke, glad I found you here.

Anyways I have the exact same board, CPU but different graphic card GTX780. 

It used to works flawlessly back in the day using Sierra OSX, then after updated to High Sierra, it doest boot ever since and I have to use windows instead and I still wants to get it up again but there are so few and outdated guides. 

So if possible please advise me on how to start over again preferred osx mojave. 

What installation do you recommend? your working bootflag? how to use your clover file?

I know that it is a lot to ask but you're my only hope to get it going again. Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, phonepanya said:

Hi PDuke, glad I found you here.

Anyways I have the exact same board, CPU but different graphic card GTX780. 

It used to works flawlessly back in the day using Sierra OSX, then after updated to High Sierra, it doest boot ever since and I have to use windows instead and I still wants to get it up again but there are so few and outdated guides. 

So if possible please advise me on how to start over again preferred osx mojave. 

What installation do you recommend? your working bootflag? how to use your clover file?

I know that it is a lot to ask but you're my only hope to get it going again. Thanks in advance.

Hey man! really sorry for such late reply but i was away from the forum for quite long. If you are still interested just tell me and i will help you out

• Like 1