Stabi

Slow POST due to APFS?

22 posts in this topic

Hey forum, 

Since upgrading to Mojave, I am facing a strange issue and I am not sure if I narrowed it down correctly: My computer needs very long to POST and load Clover. I am booting from an NVMe disk and I can tell from the wild LED blinking on my PCIe to M2 adapter that it is reading furiously. Without that disk, POST is very quick. As this didn’t happen with High Sierra, I am thinking it must have to do with APFS and apfsdriverloader.efi (I used HFS+ before). My second computer, which is nearly identical does not have this issue, but it is booting from SATA.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this further or resolve it right away? Has anybody else had this issue?  I currently use the following EFI drivers:

Spoiler
  • ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
  • AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
  • DataHubDxe-64.efi
  • FSInject-64.efi
  • HFSPlus-64.efi
  • SMCHelper-64.efi
  • NvmExpressDxe-64.efi

Thanks.

Stabi

Advertisement
8 hours ago, ellaosx said:

remove NvmExpressDxe-64.efi

That was one of the first things I tried too, but it did not make a difference. I just gave it a whirl again. But it did not make a difference.

9 hours ago, Allan said:

Strange that in your file output, you use the macOS in a HDD.

Yes, I booted from my TimeMachine's backup EFI for the dump. That's because I am currently tinkering with my "real" EFI. I just acquired a 5k monitor, but OS X would only recognise it as two monitors. Had to switch to a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS and remove WEG to get it to work, which is less ideal. But that is for another thread. 

Would it maybe be worth trying to deactivate auto-scanning for boot entries and only have manually set up ones?

Edited by Stabi

1 hour ago, Stabi said:

Would it maybe be worth trying to deactivate auto-scanning for boot entries and only have manually set up ones?

This is a good idea. Try it.

ALLAN WHAT HAPPEND TO CHAT I JUST GET   CHAT SERVER PAGE IRC INFO STUFF  NEED TO  GO IN  NEED HELP WITH   SOME THING    WANT TO ASK SOME ONE WHO  CAN PROBABLY HELP ME  

ALLAN NEED UR HELP IF U CAN  MADE OLD  USB OF YOCEMITY LONG AGO NOT REALISEING  SOMETHING IS CURRUPT IN THE USB N MADE IT READ ONLY  TRYED TO REPAIR PERMISSIONS CANT   IN STALLED YOCEMITY    REPAIR PERMISSIONS IS GREYED OUT  I TRYED G PARTED TO CLEAN THE USB SITCK  NO LUCK WHAT   CAN I DO 

Hello @perrydubbzz.

Your post doesn't have anything related to the title of the topic.

Please post in the proper place. In less than 1 min your post will be erased.

What is your trim status? Recently I've noticed my boot time went down rapidly after disabling trim on my apfs ssd.

Edited by denny76

@thread:  I have been rather busy in the last days and hence haven't had time to add custom entries and turn off scanning. I don't know if I am imagining it, but it does seem POSTing and/or loading Clover is a bit faster now, even though I didn’t do anything. So probably just a figment of my imagination.

@denny76: I don't think that is the issue. For one, it is not the actual boot process of macOS that is slow, but the time my system needs to arrive at the Clover screen. For another, I don't patch anything for trim, or have "trimforce enable" set, because the only SATA SSD in my system is for Windows. NVMe disks always have trim enabled.  

Edit: I am re-attaching an up-to-date output of RunMe.app. The last one might've been a bit weird in places due to me wrestling with AGDP and my Z27q. Everything is now back to normal though. Even though I doubt that there'll be meaningful differences in this dump.

Send me Styx.zip

Edited by Stabi

I have exactly the same problem. Before I had High Sierra with HFS+, now Mojave with APFS.

Here's what I mean:

https://mega.nz/#!VJ41HQZZ!QcEqOIVOgwpvbKzkBh9vrJ1RIoDebE7t6T26-cpFj5Q

I also boot from an NVME (Samsung) and don't have TRIM in Clover.plist, I don't have an extra SSD installed.

It's a Gigabyte Z170x-gaming 3 mobo with a RX570 graphic card.

I have the same EFI drivers installed except for NvmExpressDxe-64.efi, that one I don't have and I do have PartitionDxe-64.efi

Clover is v4784

I noticed that two prebooters appeared after installing Mojave: filevault and install -- I hide them both:

<array>
    <string>\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI</string>
    <string>preboot</string>
</array>

The GUI scan is as follows, it shows only MacOS, MacOS Recovery and Win10 (though Ubuntu won't show despite the Linux true setting--but that's for later concern):

<dict>
    <key>Entries</key>
    <true/>
    <key>Legacy</key>
    <false/>
    <key>Linux</key>
    <true/>
    <key>Tool</key>
    <false/>
</dict>

The boot section is this:
<dict>
    <key>Arguments</key>
    <string>keepsyms=1 dart=0 debug=0x100 shikigva=60</string>
    <key>Debug</key>
    <false/>
    <key>DefaultVolume</key>
    <string>LastBootedVolume</string>
    <key>Legacy</key>
    <string>PBR</string>
    <key>NeverDoRecovery</key>
    <true/>
    <key>NeverHibernate</key>
    <true/>
    <key>Secure</key>
    <false/>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <integer>3</integer>
    <key>XMPDetection</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
</dict>

Any suggestions?

This happens to me as well when using APFS with High Sierra. My only solution was to revert to HFS+.

2 hours ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

Unfortunately with Mojave we don't have that choice anymore...

I have Mojave installed on an unsupported Mac with HFS+, so it must be possible. Maybe we can trick the installer or image an install from an unsupported machine.

Like making a Carbon Copy from an APFS system and restoring it to a HFS+ formatted system?

I understand that the parameter to run the installer to keep HFS+ has been removed for Mojave.

Tricking the installer... that would be something else (and above my pay grade to figure out).

On 12/6/2018 at 5:15 PM, Benjamin Franklin said:

Like making a Carbon Copy from an APFS system and restoring it to a HFS+ formatted system?

I understand that the parameter to run the installer to keep HFS+ has been removed for Mojave.

Tricking the installer... that would be something else (and above my pay grade to figure out).

I installed Mojave on an unsupported Mac (using this) which caused the installer to use HFS+. I was able to use Disk Utility to restore that HFS+ Mojave install onto a USB drive. I was able to boot that drive with my Hack, so restoring that to an internal SSD would provide a proper HFS+ Mojave install.

989841300_ScreenShot2018-12-09at1_02_20AM.thumb.png.9b471afb97d50ac70fa7a341e8669c6b.png

Ok, I understand the workaround.

But i still don't get it why APFS on my Skylake desktop is so slow booting to Clover and my Skylake laptop boots lightning fast into Clover.

I replaced ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi with the actual APFS.EFI driver from my system and before Clover is shown I see this (see attachment).

Note that this is NOT the regular output of APFS, that follows after the HDD light stops flashing (after the attached screen) and just before Clover is shown.

Any Clover gurus out there that can shed a light on it?

IMG_0859.jpg

That is normal behaviour for apfs.efi. That is why back when we relied on it instead of using APFSDriverLoader, there were patched versions that suppress these debug messages.

16 minutes ago, Stabi said:

That is normal behaviour for apfs.efi. That is why back when we relied on it instead of using APFSDriverLoader, there were patched versions that suppress these debug messages.

Ok, thanks.

By the way, were you able to solve the slow post problem?

No, I haven't. Manually adding entries to clover and turning off scanning did not help. It is sometimes not super slow currently, though. Just slow. I should maybe get a stopwatch and measure it some time. But I don't reboot often right now.