Mojave stops to respond when using GPU HW encoding

sandokan71

12 posts in this topic

This is the only problem I am noticing with my new Mojave installation.  As soon as I launch a Video encoding task with GPU acceleration, the entire system becomes unresponsive.   Mouse pointer is OK, but you need to wait for 5-10 seconds between one click and another.   If I stop the encoding the system is not recovered at all.   The only thing I can do is press the HARD RESET button to reboot.

My GPU is AMD RX570 4G which is working great (in general).   CPU is intel i5-3550 (Ivy Bridge) which is based on iGPU HD 2500.   Maybe this iGPU is the root cause?   (but it is disabled in the BIOS...)

Same happens by placing the latest versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other directory.

And same happens by using following encoders:

ffmpeg 4.0.2

MacX Video Converter Pro 6.3.0 (and VideoProc 3.1)

DaVinci Resolve 15

Any suggestion?

8 hours ago, pico joe said:

same case with me .. i5 3570, rx 460

i5 3570 has same iGPU (HD2500).  If you know another thread in this or other forum where the issue is discussed please let me know.. Thx.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 4:49 PM, sandokan71 said:

This is the only problem I am noticing with my new Mojave installation.  As soon as I launch a Video encoding task with GPU acceleration, the entire system becomes unresponsive.   Mouse pointer is OK, but you need to wait for 5-10 seconds between one click and another.   If I stop the encoding the system is not recovered at all.   The only thing I can do is press the HARD RESET button to reboot.

My GPU is AMD RX570 4G which is working great (in general).   CPU is intel i5-3550 (Ivy Bridge) which is based on iGPU HD 2500.   Maybe this iGPU is the root cause?   (but it is disabled in the BIOS...)

Same happens by placing the latest versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other directory.

And same happens by using following encoders:

ffmpeg 4.0.2

MacX Video Converter Pro 6.3.0 (and VideoProc 3.1)

DaVinci Resolve 15

Any suggestion?

It's because FCPX needs IGPU for H.264 encode. Need enable it and set the ig-platform-id for connector-less IGPU config. 

Not sure what that would be for HD2500 or whether it is even supported in Mojave. Even HD4000 is limited to just H.264 encode/decode.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a similar situation. When I enable quicksync via enabling my iGPU in BIOS and leave all my graphics setting blank in my config list my iGPU and RX580 show correctly in system profiler. Activity monitor shows both gpus working and iGPU idles correctly. "0.20Ghz". But the second I try to export files via FCXP the system crashes and reboots. If I add 0x04128086 to fakeID and 0x04120004 to my platformID and inject Intel my iGPU stays running at a constant "1.25Ghz" even at idle. But, I can export files in FCXP without crashing. And it seems to work quite fast. Any ideas on getting the iGPU to idle down? Using smbios iMac 15,1.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 3:17 PM, tikizondo94 said:

I'm in a similar situation. When I enable quicksync via enabling my iGPU in BIOS and leave all my graphics setting blank in my config list my iGPU and RX580 show correctly in system profiler. Activity monitor shows both gpus working and iGPU idles correctly. "0.20Ghz". But the second I try to export files via FCXP the system crashes and reboots. If I add 0x04128086 to fakeID and 0x04120004 to my platformID and inject Intel my iGPU stays running at a constant "1.25Ghz" even at idle. But, I can export files in FCXP without crashing. And it seems to work quite fast. Any ideas on getting the iGPU to idle down? Using smbios iMac 15,1.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Graphics: Inject Intel=Yes; FakeID=0x04128086; ig-platform-id=0x04120004;

Boot: shikigva=60

Install Whatevergreen + Lilu in the same place (EFI/C/K/Other or /L/E).

Seems like AGPM is not working. If the abover suggestion does not work, lookup @Toledo guide for Graphics power management.

I'm currently using whatevergreen and lilu 

Also tried "shikigva=60" with the above values. 

Always runs my iGPU at 1.25Ghz.

No if I leave fakeID and PlatformID blank and just use inject Intel. My iGPU idles correctly. 

But crashes anytime I try to export with FCPX. 

Strange...

On 12/13/2018 at 3:14 PM, tikizondo94 said:

I'm currently using whatevergreen and lilu 

Also tried "shikigva=60" with the above values. 

Always runs my iGPU at 1.25Ghz.

No if I leave fakeID and PlatformID blank and just use inject Intel. My iGPU idles correctly. 

But crashes anytime I try to export with FCPX. 

Strange...

IGPU power management requires proper CPU power management.

Post your EFI folder (without the themes), IOREG files and a list of kexts in /Library/Extensions (use terminal: ls -1 /Library/Extensions > list.txt).

On 12/15/2018 at 5:25 AM, MacNB said:

IGPU power management requires proper CPU power management.

Post your EFI folder (without the themes), IOREG files and a list of kexts in /Library/Extensions (use terminal: ls -1 /Library/Extensions > list.txt).

Attached is my current debug. 

Ive tried multiple SMBIOS. Mainly iMac 14,2 and 15,1

PlatformIDs tried have been 0x04120004 and 0x0412000B. 

CPU PM Set via PluginType = True via config.plist

Using inject intel = true and shikigva=60 boot arg

Tried using inject ATI =true with FB Orinoco VideoPorts set to = 5

Also have a dAGPM.kext created in Clover/Kexts/Other

None seem to make a difference. iGPU runs at 1.25GHz.

"BIOS Settings"

I have iGPU-multimonitor set to Enabled in BIOS, Shared memory at 256MB 

VD-T disabled

All CPU settings set to AUTO. - No Overclocking. 

debug_16168.zip

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 9.49.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 10.20.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 10.20.23 AM.png

5 hours ago, tikizondo94 said:

Attached is my current debug. 

Ive tried multiple SMBIOS. Mainly iMac 14,2 and 15,1

PlatformIDs tried have been 0x04120004 and 0x0412000B. 

CPU PM Set via PluginType = True via config.plist

Using inject intel = true and shikigva=60 boot arg

Tried using inject ATI =true with FB Orinoco VideoPorts set to = 5

Also have a dAGPM.kext created in Clover/Kexts/Other

None seem to make a difference. iGPU runs at 1.25GHz.

"BIOS Settings"

I have iGPU-multimonitor set to Enabled in BIOS, Shared memory at 256MB 

VD-T disabled

All CPU settings set to AUTO. - No Overclocking. 

debug_16168.zip

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 9.49.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 10.20.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 10.20.23 AM.png

Looks like your are slipanot from the TM site. 

Last suggestion I had there was to remove the DSDT and try using ssdtPRGen.sh for CPU/IGPU power management.

Basically, to get rid of the DSDT, you need the right patches for your Haswell in the Clove ACPI/DSDT/Patches section (e.g. GFX0->IGPU, PEGP->GFXO, etc, etc); in the SSDT section set Generate to NO and PlugInType=NO; and put the SSDT generated by ssdtprgen.sh into patched folder.

2 hours ago, MacNB said:

Looks like your are slipanot from the TM site. 

Last suggestion I had there was to remove the DSDT and try using ssdtPRGen.sh for CPU/IGPU power management.

Basically, to get rid of the DSDT, you need the right patches for your Haswell in the Clove ACPI/DSDT/Patches section (e.g. GFX0->IGPU, PEGP->GFXO, etc, etc); in the SSDT section set Generate to NO and PlugInType=NO; and put the SSDT generated by ssdtprgen.sh into patched folder.

I finally got it working. 

Method that finally worked was 

New extract and patch of my DSDT

Remove all settings in Clover/Graphics section. 

Only using Inject Intel = true

PlatformID blank, FakeID - 0x0

Intel QuickSync enabled now in VideoProc and MacX. 

iGPU idles at 0.20Ghz and scales to 1.25Ghz when encoding. 

CLOVER.zip

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 6.21.35 PM.png

• Like 1