Jump to content

Forget Intel Quicksync! How to make your RX 580 act like a Vega!


20 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

This is bothering me for a long time now: Why does Apple deliberately disables the the RX4xx, RX5xx capabilities to hardware encode HEVC and is using Intel Quicksync instead? Is it to make the iMacPro look better than it is? I stumbled over a thread at tony-mac where people are going a totally different road for Radeon graphics. Instead of hassling around with getting Quicksync to work, they proposed to activate the AMD hardware renderer for Polaris GPU's. I tried it out and it works...somewhat ;)

 

I used a dummy kext from that tomato thread and edited it, so that it enables the AMDU7V4 IOGVACodec like on Vega cards, switched to iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS from iMac18,3, disabled the IGPU and the results were astonishing:

My 3:34min 4k50p film was rendered by FCP with HEVC in 2:34 minutes. Nearly half the time than with Quicksync! With the iMac18 SMBIOS and the "help" of Intel Quicksync it took FCP 4:41 minutes to get it done!

 

The problem is: As soon as the "wrong" IOGVACodec is enabled H.264 encoding leads to Mojave crashing at once (be it FCP, QuickTime or Videoproc). Watching H264 material is fine, though. 

 

If anyone has any idea how to handle this, I would be very grateful. I would even accept Mojave using software encoding for H264 if I could keep this amazing speeds on HEVC!

 

BTW: Without IGPU on iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS no problem with DRM or iTunes, no need for Whatevergreen or Shiki. That is a bonus :)

Ellesmere.kext.zip

5 hours ago, macinsane said:

This is bothering me for a long time now: Why does Apple deliberately disables the the RX4xx, RX5xx capabilities to hardware encode HEVC and is using Intel Quicksync instead? Is it to make the iMacPro look better than it is? I stumbled over a thread at tony-mac where people are going a totally different road for Radeon graphics. Instead of hassling around with getting Quicksync to work, they proposed to activate the AMD hardware renderer for Polaris GPU's. I tried it out and it works...somewhat ;)

 

I used a dummy kext from that tomato thread and edited it, so that it enables the AMDU7V4 IOGVACodec like on Vega cards, switched to iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS from iMac18,3, disabled the IGPU and the results were astonishing:

My 3:34min 4k50p film was rendered by FCP with HEVC in 2:34 minutes. Nearly half the time than with Quicksync! With the iMac18 SMBIOS and the "help" of Intel Quicksync it took FCP 4:41 minutes to get it done!

 

The problem is: As soon as the "wrong" IOGVACodec is enabled H.264 encoding leads to Mojave crashing at once (be it FCP, QuickTime or Videoproc). Watching H264 material is fine, though. 

 

If anyone has any idea how to handle this, I would be very grateful. I would even accept Mojave using software encoding for H264 if I could keep this amazing speeds on HEVC!

 

BTW: Without IGPU on iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS no problem with DRM or iTunes, no need for Whatevergreen or Shiki. That is a bonus :)

Ellesmere.kext.zip

i will try this out. this problem is bothering me also. i want to export fast and also watch itunes movies. now got my igpy turned on, but itunes movies do not work. hevc is slow with quicksync and it bothers me i bought a rx580 i could hardly use. it would bre great if you got h264 fixed also ;)

Edited by MarkMac
On 10/4/2018 at 6:02 PM, macinsane said:

This is bothering me for a long time now: Why does Apple deliberately disables the the RX4xx, RX5xx capabilities ...That is a bonus :)

Ellesmere.kext.zip

 

I use iGPU + RX Vega 64 with iMacPro1,1 Mojave

I see in Resolve that the RX Vega 64 is used for rendering. HEVC / 4K / H265 content is rendered @80fps. Looks ok to me as it should. GPU usage shows 75-90% usage.

So why removing iGPU support? Removing iGPU does have impact on sleep and fans I experienced.

 

  • 2 weeks later...

@macinsane I've tried your kext on my 580 GPU and it freezes my Pc once I try to encode h265 video. H264 it's not working as you said.
It somehow worked on my one file in the compressor. But now I'm without luck. Tried with or without Shiki and whatever green. I also tried different versions of them and many other combos. No luck. Hardware video encoding is in status "yes".

Have you got any updates of this kext? Im running latest Mohave

45 minutes ago, macinsane said:

Unfortunately not, there is a thread on Hackintosh-Forum.de (kext is in post #37) where people claim to get the RX cards running as native Radeon Pro's what should give you better results but it seems to be very fragile at the moment. I tried it and noticed no difference at all performance wise.

thanks for the info.

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 11:00 AM, Pluskat5000Schiffe said:

 

I use iGPU + RX Vega 64 with iMacPro1,1 Mojave

I see in Resolve that the RX Vega 64 is used for rendering. HEVC / 4K / H265 content is rendered @80fps. Looks ok to me as it should. GPU usage shows 75-90% usage.

So why removing iGPU support? Removing iGPU does have impact on sleep and fans I experienced.

 

That's nothing to do with RX580.

 

Anyway, I pretty sure you cannot encode H.264 with your Vega ...but Vega is not the topic here

Edited by MacNB
On 10/26/2018 at 4:05 PM, macinsane said:

Unfortunately not, there is a thread on Hackintosh-Forum.de (kext is in post #37) where people claim to get the RX cards running as native Radeon Pro's what should give you better results but it seems to be very fragile at the moment. I tried it and noticed no difference at all performance wise.

That dummy kext seems to be simply naming the model as "Radeon Pro 580". 

I don't think it solves the problem of RX 5xx encoding H.264 unfortunately (well at least with my translation of German).

BTW, I attached that kext here.

AMDRadeonPro.kext.zip

I guess you are right. From what I understand the hope was that this renaming alone would help. After weeks of testing the best results I get in terms of graphics performance is just using pikeralpha's graphics device policy patch to activate my display port and leave everything else untouched. Whatevergreen always gives the worst performance and doesn't even enable DRM playback. I'm looking forward to check out Mac Mini 2018 smbios and see if it makes a difference. It bothers me that the RX580 was just a waste of money for the purpose intended, could have stuck with cheap 560 instead. At least it has improved my gaming performance in Windows... ;) What really annoys me is that people everywhere claim that their 580's would run oob just fine and that they still recommend it (by what they only mean that they get a working screen...). With prices falling anyone who intends to do video editing should definetely go for Vega instead or just take the cheapest AMD card around.

2 hours ago, macinsane said:

 It bothers me that the RX580 was just a waste of money for the purpose intended, could have stuck with cheap 560 instead. At least it has improved my gaming performance in Windows... ;) What really annoys me is that people everywhere claim that their 580's would run oob just fine and that they still recommend it (by what they only mean that they get a working screen...).

 

I agree with. I 'm pretty disappointed after spending a lot money on the RX580 after the so called "pundits" claiming "..working OOB" before doing thorough testing of what and why one would need such an expensive GPU...to do real GPU work...not just a working GUI. 

 

Vega are still too expensive for me with no clear promise of truly useful functionality (one that will provide H.264 encode & decode, HEVC enc/dec and DRM playback).

 

  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 3:03 PM, MacNB said:

 

I agree with. I 'm pretty disappointed after spending a lot money on the RX580 after the so called "pundits" claiming "..working OOB" before doing thorough testing of what and why one would need such an expensive GPU...to do real GPU work...not just a working GUI. 

 

Vega are still too expensive for me with no clear promise of truly useful functionality (one that will provide H.264 encode & decode, HEVC enc/dec and DRM playback).

 

I Feel exactly the same , coming from Nvidia gtx970 who at least was doing the job....

hi guys, i'm looking for a solution for that H264 export too...As i'm not a computer ingenior i guess that your troubles with igpu only concern motherboard with integrated graphic hardware which isn'tmy case with a X99 ud4 gigabyte motherboard.Meaning that even if you found a solution to that problem it may not work for me...i'm really considering to sell quickly that amd rx580 before i lost too much money and going back to nvidia 

  • 1 year later...
can you help me ?
 
I can't make my RX580 4gb work with Catalina.
First I had a GTX 1050 TI that was not working and after reading in some forums that the card was not compatible, after completing the installation of Catalina 10.15.2 with immenseger, Apple Store, audio, all working. After I changed the graphics, but still can not detect the card rx580.
 
I leave here the link from my EFI folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MIce-0AEhMNWeihtpCb24U7U3z_P8_z2
 
My setup: Asus B250M-plus
Asus rx580 4gb
intel i5
8gb ram

Captura de ecrã 2020-01-13, às 17.44.29.jpeg

First you must disable (or remove those renames) all GPU related renames in the ACPI /DSDT section if you use WEG. WEG does all needed - much more clever.

Complete your SMBIOS , i can only see Macmodell 18,1. 

Also setup your IGPU with an ig-platform ID which  is connectorless (means no more an display device anymore).

Even better (mire easy to handle setup)  disable IGPU in BIOS , remove inject intel and use an iMacPro1,1 MacModell.

 

 

×
×
  • Create New...