Possible frame rate issues with AMD Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB and 10.13.5

Roscoep77

10 posts in this topic

I am looking for any assistance with a strange issues I am experiencing with my Sapphire Pulse Rx 580 and 10.13.5.

This is my second Hackintosh and I made the conscious choice to move to AMD for the graphics as I had experienced a range of issues with NVidia cards previous and could see that the native support for AMD was only increasing. Using the ‘Buyer’s Guide’ I purchase test Sapphire RX 580 card but opted for the 4GB model to save a bit of money.

I have followed a range of guides and the system boots up without a problem and functions as expected. The issue arises about 1 or so hours into operation where the frame rate appears to drop to 0.2 fps. This means that that whole the mouse position refreshes smoothly the rest of the screen only refresh sporadically making the computer almost impossible to use…

My hardware is as follows:

• Gigagbyte Z370 Ultra Gaming (Rev 1.0)
  • Intel Core i5 8600K
  • 32GB of 2400Mhz DDR 4 RAM
  • Sapphire Pulse RX580 4GB

I have tried the following fixes to see whether I can clear the issue:

• Installing Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to EFI/EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other
  • Using a range of options on the ‘Graphics’ page in Clover including ‘ATI’ and ‘RadeonInit’
  • Enabling IGFX on the BIOS and using ‘Intel Graphics Fixup’ option on [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Everything I can see on the forum at the moment tells me that I should be able to use the AMD card OOB with minimal, if any, patches in Clover. I have been experiencing this issue since 10.13.4 so I cannot help but think it is something to do with the graphics card.

My next thought is to look at entering a framebuffer for the card but otherwise I am running out of ideas… I’d really appreciate any advice anyone might have

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roscoep77 said:

I am looking for any assistance with a strange issues I am experiencing with my Sapphire Pulse Rx 580 and 10.13.5.

This is my second Hackintosh and I made the conscious choice to move to AMD for the graphics as I had experienced a range of issues with NVidia cards previous and could see that the native support for AMD was only increasing. Using the ‘Buyer’s Guide’ I purchase test Sapphire RX 580 card but opted for the 4GB model to save a bit of money.

Hi there and welcome to InsanelyMac.com :)

Remember that we don't support any of tonymac's tools and guides, you can read the forum's Rules to see why.

I have an AMD RX580 8GB which is ALMOST similar to your GPU.

I use it with a dual display setup on my SkyLake rig and the performance is the way it should be, although with 10.13.4 changes to support the eGPUs I encountered some issued regarding the black screen but here's how I fixed it on my rig:

1. I set the RX580 as the primary GPU

2. CSM is disabled in BIOS

3. I enabled the iGPU as the secondary GPU to enable Hardware Encoding Support

4. I set the following flags under the "Graphics" Section in the config.plist

1. InjectATI=True

2. InjectIntel=True

3. Added the ig-platform-id according to my iGPU

5. I don't use WhateverGreen because it's not needed anymore so you can remove it from the Kext folder

6. Added the following patch to avoid the Black Screen issue since I use the iMac17,1 SMBIOS (you might not even need it)

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy

Find: ba05000000

Replace: ba00000000

Comment: Prevent AGDP from loading

Remember that your GPU is listed in Apple's site as a compatible model so you might not need to use the InjectATI=True.

About the framebuffer the most compatible framebuffer for RX580 is the Orinoco framebuffer which might also not be necessary in your case.

RadeonDeInit=True is not necessary for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and newer.

You can also send me your EFI folder for further analysis, you can remove Serial Number, MLB, UUID, Apple and theme folder and any other private data that you have.

If the problem persist you can always make a clean install without using any third party tools to have a 100% vanilla installation and then we can troubleshoot the issue one step at the time.

Here's a detailed guide on how to install macOS High Sierra on your rig and you can find a lot of great tips and tricks.

Just run this app and post the results here and I'll take a look.

RunMe

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Roscoep77 said:

I have followed a range of guides and the system boots up without a problem and functions as expected. The issue arises about 1 or so hours into operation where the frame rate appears to drop to 0.2 fps. This means that that whole the mouse position refreshes smoothly the rest of the screen only refresh sporadically making the computer almost impossible to use…

My hardware is as follows:

• Gigagbyte Z370 Ultra Gaming (Rev 1.0)
  • Intel Core i5 8600K
  • 32GB of 2400Mhz DDR 4 RAM
  • Sapphire Pulse RX580 4GB

I have tried the following fixes to see whether I can clear the issue:

• Installing Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to EFI/EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other
  • Using a range of options on the ‘Graphics’ page in Clover including ‘ATI’ and ‘RadeonInit’
  • Enabling IGFX on the BIOS and using ‘Intel Graphics Fixup’ option on #####

Everything I can see on the forum at the moment tells me that I should be able to use the AMD card OOB with minimal, if any, patches in Clover. I have been experiencing this issue since 10.13.4 so I cannot help but think it is something to do with the graphics card.

My next thought is to look at entering a framebuffer for the card but otherwise I am running out of ideas… I’d really appreciate any advice anyone might have

RX 580 shouldn't be that complicated to work with on Hackintosh, but ill give you some basics to look at:

-(the idea is to properly enable onboard GPU which for me is more suspended for this issue)

1. Do a backup for your current config.plist, simply add it to Desktop. (have your bootable USB near just in case the system can't boot)

2. Now lets work on config.plist which is in EFI partition.

a. in ACPI/DSDT/Patches select change GFX0 to IGPU.

b. in Devices/Fake ID under IntelGFX insert 0x59128086.

c. in the Graphics under ig-platform-id insert 0x59120003 and Inject Intel (delete anything else you've done before).

d. in SMBIOS select iMac 18,3 for system definitions.

EDITE: Make sure you have the latest Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts for the RX 580.

Save and restart

in BIOS.

Make sure the the IGFX is enabled and DVMT Pre-Allocated is 128M

Test this configurations and see if problem still exist.

Edited by RandomTech
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for the replies! Such a great welcome to the forum. And thanks for the reminder about the forum rules too.

I will try these fixes tonight and let you know how it all goes. If no success I will upload the EFI folder as suggested.

Thanks again!

Thanks again for the prompt replies and offers of help - I am blown away by the offer of help

Here’s what I have found from using the advice that you have both provided:

• The only SMBIOS setting that seems to work for me is iMac14,2.
    • Anything else (iMac18,3. iMac18,2 etc..) just means that the boot hangs
    • I have seen a fair range of posts for the same chipset and similar coffeecake mobos where these SMBIOS setting work well…
  • The Orinoco framebuffer setting is spot on
    • This frame buffer works well and matches my hardware and its ports well (I have manually checked)
    • Not sure whether this has fixed the frame rate issue I have reported - it can be quite intermittent
  • I am still getting the graphics card issue
    • I have use Console and have a better idea of what’s causing it
    • I have attached the output of the console around the time when the error occurs:

Console error.png

• To my eyes this looks like a kernel panic caused by a graphics card compatibility issue but I haven't been able to see similar faults when I have Googled the issue
    • The only settings I have found that seem to work at this stage are:
      • No Lilu or Whatevergreen kexts
      • In clover under Graphics:
        • In FB Name select Orinoco
        • Select Inject Intel
        • ig-platform-id insert 0x59120003
        • Select RadeonInt
    • I have yet to put the graphics card through its paces though so I am worried it will only happen again
    • I am really flying blind here though… not sure if its a hardware or software thing, but it’s starting to drive me crazy…

Thanks again for your assistance. Any additional insights would be really welcome.

Edited by Roscoep77
  • Like 1

It is very strange what happens to your system, I had a lot of issues with Nvidia but when switched to AMD GPU non at all (RX 480 and now Vega), my system runs solid to the point it looks boring to me because there is nothing more I have to do.

Even if Macs are not meant to game I still do some heavy title games like Mad Max, heliborne and such for hours, for video rendering at 4K in fcpx or Adobe any kind of video format no problem.

Of course there is a lot to be involved, config.plist, kexts and even BIOS settings but all shouldn't be that complicated to achieve. For sure faulty hardware can be also a reason but I don't wish you that.

One question, is there a reason which makes you to enable the IGPU in BIOS? I mean could you try without it?

OR put this in Google search and click the first result: HOW TO FIX VIDEO RENDERING ISSUES IN FCPX HIGH SIERRA (HARDWARE ENCODING & HEVC SUPPORT).

Otherwise maybe someone with RX 580 would help you better because I use Vega recently and maybe things has changed since then when I used RX 480.

Thanks, @RandomTech!

I have tried it several times with just the RX 580 and the IGFX disabled. Always seem to end up with the frame rate issue... It's a real shame as I thought this card would cause me fewer problems than a Nvidia unit but it hasn't been the case...

I have had the system up and running for a day also far with these new settings and it's still working. Enabling the Intel graphics seems to be the common fix for some of these issues especially the ones with FCPX.

Thanks again for all your help. It's really appreciated.

Edited by Roscoep77
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2018 at 1:37 PM, Cyberdevs said:

Hi there and welcome to InsanelyMac.com :)

Remember that we don't support any of tonymac's tools and guides, you can read the forum's Rules to see why.

I have an AMD RX580 8GB which is ALMOST similar to your GPU.

I use it with a dual display setup on my SkyLake rig and the performance is the way it should be, although with 10.13.4 changes to support the eGPUs I encountered some issued regarding the black screen but here's how I fixed it on my rig:

1. I set the RX580 as the primary GPU

2. CSM is disabled in BIOS

3. I enabled the iGPU as the secondary GPU to enable Hardware Encoding Support

4. I set the following flags under the "Graphics" Section in the config.plist

1. InjectATI=True

2. InjectIntel=True

3. Added the ig-platform-id according to my iGPU

5. I don't use WhateverGreen because it's not needed anymore so you can remove it from the Kext folder

6. Added the following patch to avoid the Black Screen issue since I use the iMac17,1 SMBIOS (you might not even need it)

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy

Find: ba05000000

Replace: ba00000000

Comment: Prevent AGDP from loading

Remember that your GPU is listed in Apple's site as a compatible model so you might not need to use the InjectATI=True.

About the framebuffer the most compatible framebuffer for RX580 is the Orinoco framebuffer which might also not be necessary in your case.

RadeonDeInit=True is not necessary for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and newer.

You can also send me your EFI folder for further analysis, you can remove Serial Number, MLB, UUID, Apple and theme folder and any other private data that you have.

If the problem persist you can always make a clean install without using any third party tools to have a 100% vanilla installation and then we can troubleshoot the issue one step at the time.

Here's a detailed guide on how to install macOS High Sierra on your rig and you can find a lot of great tips and tricks.

Just run this app and post the results here and I'll take a look.

RunMe

Thanks so much Cyberdevs !

After many weeks to try without success to boot MacOs Mojave without WhateverGreen , I was finally be able to avoid black screen with iMac Pro 1,1 system definition 

Really a nice day ! :thumbsup_anim:    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Loloflat6 said:

Thanks so much Cyberdevs !

After many weeks to try without success to boot MacOs Mojave without WhateverGreen , I was finally be able to avoid black screen with iMac Pro 1,1 system definition 

Really a nice day ! :thumbsup_anim:    

You're welcome :)

I'm glad you managed to install Mojave finally ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

You're welcome :)

I'm glad you managed to install Mojave finally ;)

Yes because before that I went back to MacPro 6,1 system definition , so I will manage now a fresh install Mojave 10.14 (18A389) with iMac Pro 1,1 system definition :)

Your settings will help all users with AMD RX 580 on Mojave

Edited by Loloflat6
  • Like 1